1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Microsoft Word Footnote problem

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 30, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have been making corrections on a paper in Microsoft Word. As I have made some corrections the line that seperates the text from the footnote has been extended clear across the page. I cannot seem to get it back the way it needs to be.

The usually line looks like:

While now some of the lines go clear across:

______________________________________________________________________________

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the several problems I've lost brain cells over. Imagine you've already tried the following, but in case you haven't.

Try EDIT/UNDO whatever you did to change it.

Place cursor under the line and hit delete. Then replace with proper one.

Mark and try to delete. Then replace with proper one.

If you get rid of it go to options and see if there isn't an automatic option you can uncheck relating to lines. Might be an option in the footnote section as well.

I've gone as far as to start over on some of the problems MS has caused in Word. :BangHead:

I'm giving serious looks at Open Office. If it had a grammar checker I'd be using it totally.

Hope you find it.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Have you tried turning on the hidden codes to see what Word sees on the document? Try clicking the "Show/Hide" button and see what that shows you in the document. My first guess is that there are some hidden codes telling Word to do something you don't want it to do.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I have not tried this, but it looks like what you are looking for:

http://www.stedwards.edu/it_dept/computer/faq/faq_word.htm#q4

Paper formatting is not fun!

Test it on a different document.

God bless

Wayne

5. PastorSBC1303

Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try. It is very frustrating, and hope one of them works!

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Pastor

The last one was a university site for formating their papers . . .

I have done it ONCE . . . but, Microsoft foot noting is very difficult.

I always got ONE paper right and copied it.

SWBTS went to 'style ease', but they had to significantly change the 'style guide' from turabian to 'southwestern style manual'. People installed it and had no problems and others had to re-install windows. I thank God that I did not have to re-install windows while writing a paper . . .

God bless

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Tom, the long line is usually a footnote continuation line. It is a short line if no notes continue to the next page. In most papers, if a footnote continues to the next page you use a long line. Your standards may be different.

To see how yours is set up, open the paper in the normal view (not page layout) and open up your footnotes (view/footnotes). They will appear in teh bottom half. On the left hand side, you will see a drop down box that should say "all footnotes." If you drop that box down, you will see footnote separator and footnote continuation separator. the footnote separator will be a short line, and the footnote continuation separator will be a long line. You can change them there if you need to.

That might be your problem there. Or your problem may be something else entirely.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You made English (word speak) out of the process . . . we need to save this thread as a sticky.

:type:

9. PastorSBC1303

Larry, thanks. I finally got it to change from working with your suggestions! I appreciate the help!

:wavey:

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Sorry I called you Tom. I don't know why. I know you're not Tom. But for some reason I had tomvols on my mind.

Glad it worked for you. I remember the days of seminary papers trying to get things to work. It was trial and error and long nights sometimes.

11. PastorSBC1303

No problem, I knew what you meant.