1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Middle class" means what?

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by billwald, Sep 18, 2009.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

If you can't recognize a reply as being germane to your last post . . . .

2. targus

targus New Member

I just don't see how tax rates are relevant to the OP which is questioning the existence of a middle class.

You see no substantial difference between your lifestyle and that of a sinlge mother with three kids working for minimum wage?

Really?

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Billwald's point was that without the labor unions of today (not talking about their role in the early days of industry), we'd all be dumpster-diving and living in holes in the ground.

Wealth envy...it's on page one of the Labor Unions' manual..."How to tick off people so they'll be greedy, work a bit less." Its sequel was, "How to get workers to give you money, so you can be greedy and work hardly at all."

They're both large-sized books...had to be, to fit the titles. :D

And of course, the point has repeatedly been ignored regarding how we expect to live as Americans, and how that makes comparisons tricky.

I guess I don't exist. My wife doesn't work, and stays home with our two kids. We live off my paycheck, and are quite happy. I can't just go buy what I want, and we don't borrow money...but our needs get met.

I would say that is "middle class," but I'd hate for a truthful statement to mess up billwald's "theory."

4. billwald

billwald New Member

>I just don't see how tax rates are relevant to the OP which is questioning the existence of a middle class.

I see it as a psychological problem that is parallel to the "anyone can grow up to be president" problem. The kid who believes his feels good about himself but it doesn't greatly the odds. We elect one president out of 50 million potential presidents every 4 years.

Humans are terrible with statistics, probability, and risk analysis, including most PhDs.

If a person sees himself as a working stiff with little economic or political power and sees that the chasm between the working people and the real rich is almost as deep as the chasm between heaven and Hell then, if he is smart, he will see an advantage of working with like minded people for their mutual benefit to get a larger slice of the pie.

The guy who forgets that he is middle class (or worked his way into middle class) only because of the grace of God by default will think that his status is because of his hard work and/ or smarts. His sin nature (we all have a sin nature) will lead him to conclude that by virtue of his hard work and smarts that he is socially and objectively superior to the working class. He might even conclude that the working people are holding him back.

But, God or no God, some people are winners and some people are losers mostly because of their learning experiences. If a person is a winner it doesn't matter the form of government, he will do OK, and the loser will lose.

I know that a guy who works in a small business, by working harder, smarter, or longer than his co-workers, will convince his boss to give him a raise or promotion . . . he doesn't have to ask for it (as long as it is NOT a family business).

But what I DON'T see is how a guy working for General Motors or any listed company can conclude that he is better off without a union. Some other guy 2000 miles away and 4 levels up the food chain sets the wage scale for his shop and the only way he is going to move up the food chain is if his supervisor retires, quits, or dies.

>You see no substantial difference between your lifestyle and that of a sinlge mother with three kids working for minimum wage?

BIG psychological difference because of economic security reasons.

Not a big a difference in consumer goods as there was 70 years ago because the nature of poverty in the US has changed. Most people on welfare have most of the consumer goods that most middle class, even most rich people have. This is the only country in the world where poor people die of over eating. The old master artists painted pictures of fat rich people because only rich people could get enough food to become fat . . . unless you were a cook.

My father-in-law had ten times my income but I had more toys. His toys were of much higher quality and he didn't stand in line to get them.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

>I guess I don't exist. My wife doesn't work, and stays home with our two kids. We live off my paycheck, and are quite happy. I can't just go buy what I want, and we don't borrow money...but our needs get met.

You and I exist (I think) but we are in the minority. The typical credit card holder (which is most adults) now carries a $9,000 balance.

Don't ever buy lottery tickets. If you should win it might ruin you.

6. targus

targus New Member

In a word: psycho-babble.

Sounds like the words of someone who didn't try it.

I know first hand that hard work and persistence work.

#26 targus, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009
  7. billwald

billwald New Member

>Sounds like the words of someone who didn't try it.

Tried what? I found a great job at the bottom of a briar patch that paid the bills and had a defined benefit pension.

8. targus

targus New Member

Tried what?

Tried living a life of excellence - meaning taking a risk - educating yourself - showing yourself to be a person of quality and integrity.

Did you ever try to start a business?

Take a job that paid based on results rather than just putting in an hour?

Tried to do something that everyone else (and perhaps even yourself) thought was way over your head and beyond your abilities?

Thats how I have tried to live and that is how I have taught my children to live.

And guess what - the results can be exceptional.

One of my sons graduated at the top of his class - both in high school and college. He is currently a graduate student at an Ivy League school.

Another of my sons - an engineer who was let go by GM due to down sizing only six months after obtaining the job right out of college isn't feeling sorry for himself. He has set his sights on one of the top ten law schools and is interviewing for a position in a law firm while in school - interviewing with several firms actually. I have no doubt that he will succeed - because he is out there trying. Not sitting around feeling sorry for himself.

My children have all been risk takers - rock climbers, sky divers, traveled the world with nothing more than a back pack, all sorts of things. And it has helped them to appreciate life and the value of living it to the fullest of their abilities. And it has also made them generous and loving individuals - not afraid to express their feelings and not afraid to share generously with others.

It's not too late to try it yourself - you may find yourself to be a happier person for it.

#28 targus, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2009