1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary Question

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by mr.johnson, Nov 3, 2015.

1. mr.johnson

mr.johnson New Member
    Site Supporter

I am looking for feedback on this school. I would be going for the online MDiv.

Have you attended it?
    What do you know about it?
    What do you know about the faculty?
    How conservative is it?
    Overall value out of 10:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great school current student. Compared to Liberty night and day difference. Well worth it.The faculty care about the students and the school is focused on serving the churches by preparing students in a practical way. I cannot say enough about it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. mr.johnson

mr.johnson New Member
    Site Supporter

Okay, thanks. I would be looking at doing the online program. Maybe taking some intensive classes in summer. (I teach high school history now, so I have Summer's off. I live in California though. )

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am online as well.

5. mr.johnson

mr.johnson New Member
    Site Supporter

Are you SBC affiliated?

I go to an independent baptist church.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am SBC affiliated and they all are independent Baptist Churches.

7. mr.johnson

mr.johnson New Member
    Site Supporter

Is it heavily kjv oriented? I only have been using the KJV.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some are some are not.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Midwestern has always been the 6 school out of 6 in the lot of SBC seminaries. It just hasn't had the funding nor the acclaim as the others. Thankfully, for the school, the recent arrival of a new president and intentionally hiring some younger, go-getter, faculty members seems to be helping. Personally, I considered MWBTS (as I did all six of the SBC seminaries) when looking at my seminary education. The campus (then) was horrid and it didn't have near the resources of the other schools. I settled on SWBTS which was a good decision for me then.

I don't know much about online seminary. While I appreciate the arguments about convenience for those doing ministry, for an MDiv I'm still a fan of the on-campus experience. If you're looking for online only, then there really isn't much difference in seminaries because there is only so much an institution can do in providing education through those means. Liberty is just as good an option as any of the six SBC seminaries.

From what I know about MWBTS currently, the faculty is pretty conservative though leans towards the Calvinist area because of their president who comes form the Mohler camp of the SBC. I can't give it a qualified score on 1-10 as I just don't know much beyond the press release propaganda. From my ministry circles I've heard their reputation is improving, but not by much.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have done online with both Liberty and Midwestern. They are night and day different in that Midwestern has profs that are more hands on. Liberty has far to many adjuncts that basically tell you that you are on your own. The only time you get anything from many of them is when they grade or if you are late with an assignment. For me that was a poor learning environment. Midwestern profs will gladly talk with you on the phone for most any prayer concern or class related issue.

11. mr.johnson

mr.johnson New Member
    Site Supporter

I received a better vibe from talking to the people at Midwestern then I did at Liberty. Like I said, I am an independent baptist and kjv only, so I would like to go to a kjv only school, as I am not associated with SBC at all, but it does offer flexibility with an MDiv and it does not mean I cannot use my Kjv bible. I wish there was more information that was put together on the staff and their knowledge, but for tuition purposes, it is pretty good. I would have done Golden Gate Baptist Seminary, but they are a bit more expensive and do not support FASFA, which, as a married man with a child, and my income being the only one that supports my family (I teach in a public high school) I need FASFA.

12. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir,

If you are KJV only, you had better get yourself a Holman Christian Standard Version or an English Standard Version. You may not feel "at home" but they will make no difference towards you.

You will be highly accepted. I have friends who teach there and who are clients of my book publishing company. It is a good school and improving all the time. But is you have problems with Calvinism or other Reformed doctrines again you may not feel comfortable.

My two cents worth.

"That is all!"

rd

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not Calvinist and I feel right at home there.