1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Migraine Diet

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Gina B, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

So here I go, back onto the one I was on in Ohio. Since moving to Oklahoma, the issue with migraines has been reborn and is now turning back to the debilitating issue it was in OH. (didn't have them like this in the other states in between!)

Very restrictive, as I'm taking out almost all foods with tyramines and almost everything with tannins. I will NOT give up my green tea!

The list of allowed foods, apart from non-injected meats, is 22 items. Two of them are spices. (black pepper and paprika) All my favorite fruits are gone. I thought I'd just make sure to have decaf coffee, but now that's out too because of tannins. Blah.

Thankfully, seafood is in. WHOO HOO! So is watermelon. Give me a watermelon, a fish, a cup of iced green tea, and I'll be a very happy person.

Gonna ease into the restrictions over the next few weeks and try to be fully on it by the beginning of March, so if you happen to drive through Oklahoma and see some crazy lady sitting outside over a pile of raspberries, mushrooms, and coffee grounds, crying hysterically and giving them a proper burial, don't worry.

It's just me, bidding farewell to my favorites.

2. Borneol

Borneol New Member

I know how you feel! Eliminating foods from diets is not much fun. I'm on an elimination diet myself concerning a gut issue, and having a tough time kicking out a few foods.
    if you have not, you might try avoiding wheat for a few weeks to see if the migraines go away. i've read of this working for others.

Good luck with your diet experiment!

One example about wheat and migraines.

"Poster child for . . . wheat?"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/poster-child-for-wheat/

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Wheat has never been an issue, although I do have one kiddo who tested positive for celiac and it was a difficult diet (I put us all on it) but it wasn't as bad as one would think because all the fresh fruits and veggies are allowed.

I've done the migraine diet before and it helped immensely. The silly thing is that it depends on where in the U.S.A. I live. I checked it out and there really are what they call "migraine hot spots." The place I lived in Ohio and the one here are both major hot spots.

When I did this diet before, it reduced the headaches to once a month and when there were full moons, and even that was not every single time.

Then I moved to a non-hot spot and had a couple minor ones but nothing of the type to land me in the hospital. Then I moved to yet another non-hot spot and had none at all.

Then I moved to this hot spot and it took a little while, but they built up and now are reaching crisis level.

This diet is already making a difference.

I hate that it has to be like this, but it is what it is.

I'll be asking the doctor to refer me to a nutritionist or will have to do some major research because the limitations are so severe that it's going to be hard to maintain proper nutrition. I can't even go back to just a vegetarian diet because so many fruits and vegetables are black listed. Some on the tyramine/trigger list, some on the tannins list. That's the hardest part. I can live with a vegetarian diet and did it before just because I wanted to. I can live with a raw diet too, but the restrictions for this one are just too much for me to figure out how to do it in a healthy way.

I have to say that the aura is already fading away at times rather than being constant, and I've not gone on it fully yet, am easing my way into it. Well, a rough ease, eliminating more each day, but started with the major triggers and the signs that it is helping are already there.