1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mike Singletary, Coach of the San Fran 49ers

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by CoJoJax, Sep 24, 2009.

1. CoJoJax

CoJoJax New Member

First off, Mike Singletary is a GREAT coach and is leading the 49ers on the right path.

Secondly, has anybody noticed Singletary's necklace that he wears during the games? It's basically a rope necklace that has a giant wooden cross on it. I think it's so cool that he openly wears this. It stands out so much because coaches/players are usually required to wear all of the same Reebok gear .. you know, for $$$ reasons. But for whatever reason, the NFL is fine with him wearing the cross. I figured they'd make a big deal out of it.

Here is a picture if you haven't seen it:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/peter_king/12/16/mail/mike-singletary.jpg

CJ

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard Singletary preach a few years ago. It was an expositional message from Romans 6 and he never mentioned football. It was a good solid evangelistic message.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Let's have a little perspective here. Mike Singletary has a career coaching record of 7-4. While there's no question that he has the Niners going in the right direction, he needs to hang some banners before he qualifies for greatness. Singletary was one of my favorite players, so I hope he does well, even if it is for the 49ers.

4. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Singletary the complete package is GREATNESS, his coaching career is yet to be determined, historically in all major sports, the best of players are the sorriest of coaches. I don't know why, but thats the way it is.

On a side note, I live in Dallas, Texas, surrounded by transplants from yankee states. I am a Chicago fan and have been since 1985, I was a band wagon jumper, but at the age of six, I consider it to be a forgivable thing. I was a rather fat in my youth, so the only player in pick up football games I could understanbly be, was The Fridge.

A friend of mine who also happens to be a co-worker helps a friend who owns a sports memorabilia shop, picked up Singletary from the airport about six years back for a signing at his buddy's shop. Well, he told me about it after the fact and I was rather upset by not getting a chance to go to the shop and get to see him and get his autograph. My buddy laughed and slid a picture over to me with my name and Singletary's full autograph. That was one the best gifts I have ever gotten.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You mean Mangini is not in the running? LOL

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I am referring only to his coaching career.

Because the great players rely so much on their talent that they don't develop the necessary skills that would make them a good coach. The best examples of this are in basketball where Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and Isaiah Thomas were great players that were/are abysmal as coaches and/or GM's.

That's why there are so many fans who are my age are fans of the Steelers and Cowboys, because those were the best teams in the late 70s. Not a thing wrong with it. The 1985 season is still my favorite football season ever.

I've been a Bears fan since the mid 70s when they were terrible. Oddly, even in central Illinois, I was the only one with Bears gear when I was a kid. I've hated the Cowboys ever since they crushed the Bears in the playoffs in 1978.

7. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I was not born at that time.

What about Larry Bird? I think he was both. Then of course there is Ted Williams, he lead his team to several World Series wins, that's why Ranger fans like myself have such a rich history of being winners.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

It's not a hard and fast rule that a great athlete can't be a great coach or GM. Larry Legend coached the Pacers to the Finals, something that Magic/Michael/Isaiah would never have done. One of the greatest players in NBA history, The Logo, was also one of the best GM's in the game.

I like the direction the Rangers are going. They're loaded with talent at every position and need their starting pitching to make the leap next year.

9. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

SIngletary is a good coac. I just read that Michael Brabtree 7 the 49rs have come to an agreement.
    Faithgirl