1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Military Service?

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by JonC, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

Curious as to why you rated my post Dislike?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the whole point of military discipline. Shooting the people you are told to shoot, not the one's you want to shoot Laugh.

3. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

Is that what happened with the guy who shot his CO in the last couple of days in San Antonio.

All it takes is one guy who isn't impressed with the military way. Rules are only good for those who are willing to follow them. Frown

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always try to remember there's a nut in every bunch. The military is no exception. Unfortunately while nuts and ice cream goes together, nuts and guns don't.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This forum is for veterans. According to your post, you don't belong here.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Forum title is Vets and Friends. He comes under the later. This isn't a American Legion\VFW meeting. Nobody is asking for a DD\WD\ND 214.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow.

I presume that you can cite the appropriate forum rule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem I'm out. I see nothing "friendly" in Kevin's post, just disdain for the retired officers he has come in contact with, wondering openly why someone didn't kill them when they were on active duty. The rest of the anti military trolls will arrive soon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well....I can see how his post was not meant to be "unfriendly", at least until #23 (there I started seeing a hint towards your point).

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was referring only to the post I quoted. You did not refer to post 23. You made a general statement as to who was allowed to post in this forum.

11. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

I am sorry if I offended any Vets here, that was not my intention. In a way I was complimenting the enlisted and junior officers who did put up with this person without harming him. I tell you, that took a lot of self control on their part, and I'm sure he wasn't the only one that was less than a delight to work with.

Part of my clash with him was probably because I was not military, and did not understand his background. It was not made any easier due to the fact that even after being retired (do you guys ever really retire) for 20+ years he expected the respect his rank brought him in the military from friends and family.

I gave him the respect he earned from me, but I came to first know him well after he retired, and when I say retired, that was it for working. He did have a small ranch which he took from overgrown land, to a very nice place to live.

I will also say that he was probably the most intelligent person I have spent any significant time with, which I imagine was a big part of how he started out as a enlisted boot, and ended up in officer training.

I will also apologize for posting in the Vets area. My normal routine when I come to the Board is to just click on the "New Posts" tab, and read what catches my interest. I will start to pay closer attention to the details from now on.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did not. Well, not the ones that count. :D :D :D

Nope. I had a deacon who was a Navy Command Master Chief (the highest rank an enlisted man can hold). He said to me one day after a deacon's meeting, "Pastor, you never retired. You just changed uniforms!" How right he was. The habit of "command presence" is a very hard habit to break.
    Don't. The name of this forum is "Vets and Friends." Stick around, Friend. :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Kevin, do stick around - sure we talk a lot of military - some fun, some serious, some "good ole days", but overall, hopefully we can learn from each other.

14. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with TC... Stick around Keven and we'll put a uniform on you yetEek... So tell us which do you wannabe join?... We are flexible!... Brother GlenSneaky

15. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry to hear of deteriorating conditions. Danville, Illinois VA is always going through updates, to buildings and grounds, as well as building new Green Houses for vets to live in with their own private rooms with own bathrooms and showers. Also in the process of building new housing for homeless vets and their families. The care here is top notch!

16. mjjddh

mjjddh New Member
    Site Supporter

USAF. 1979 to 1986; 6981st Electronic Security Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage, Alaska. Then Alaska Air National Guard 1987 - 1989. SSgt (E-5).

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was At Ft Rich when you were at Elmerdorf

18. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was at Elmendorf AFB roughly 76/77-78 as a kid, I think it was. I know we were there the year Elvis died. I think it was 78 that it got to about 100 degrees there that summer. My step dad was the one in the AF.

I remember getting off the plane at the airport, and seeing the stuffed animals, and thinking "What kind of place have they brought me to.!" It was true for us in winter that we walked to school in the snow, in the dark, uphill...both ways.

I think it was Eilson (Fairbanks) we were at before going to Anchorage.

Anyway, just thought it interesting we were there in the same place in the world so close in time.

God bless.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    also always squeeze off 2 rounds with a 9MM

20. mjjddh

mjjddh New Member
    Site Supporter

I arrived in January of 1980 with my combat boots over my shoulder and my cookie monster under my arm. LOL. I was 19 years old. It was dark with more snow that I had ever seen in my life. When I stepped outside of the airport, Alaska smelled different -- wild and I fell in love with it. We lived there for 10 years before leaving. I was originally from the South and a huge family. I wanted my kids to grow up with the love of extended family members as I had, so it was time to come to the lower 48. We still miss Alaska.

It was nice hearing your memory. God bless you and thank you for sharing!

• Like Like x 1