1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mindset for doing the DMin

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by PastorSBC1303, Dec 30, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I was curious to hear from some of you on the following discussion I have been having with a pastor friend of mine who is considering doing a DMin.

I am presently working on a DMin in Expository Preaching at SBTS. I decided to do it in Expository Preaching because I have a passion for that area of study and a good foundation from my MDiv at Midwestern and work with Dr. Ben Awbrey. I figured it would be best to do it in an area of study that I had a passion.

My friend tells me he thinks I have the wrong mindset, that I should have went for an area that I was not strong in and pursued a DMin in that area of study.

I told him that might be a good way to do it. However from my perspective if I was doing it in an area that I really did not have a passion for, I would not be motivated to finish all of the reading and writing. And I would not be looking forward to the final project as I am with doing it in Expository preaching.

So what do you all think? For those of you with a DMin or working on a DMin what was your mindset?

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not working on a DMin (not even to the MDiv yet!), but I agree with your line of thinking. You would probably be less inclined to finish your degree if you do not have a passion for the field.

Now if you have electives, you may want to take some in other fields. One class might be tolerable, but a whole program would equal dropping out.

3. NateT

NateT Member

Don't have a DMin and not sure if I'll get one, but when I was looking at my MDiv "tracts" I had to choose between Pastoral, Pastoral Counseling and Biblical and Theological Studies (LOTS more language.) I chose the BTS with Languages because that excited me. I still have to take pastoral and counseling courses.

My thought was, am I planning on doing more counseling, or preaching? I plan on doing more preaching, so why not make sure I'm as prepared as I can be for that? The area where I considered doing this is when I consider going for a PhD. I think that maybe I'd be better off going for one in the OT instead of the NT. I enjoy both, but my OT is a lot shakier than my NT.

If I do go for a DMin, I'm sure I'll have a similar approach.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think your position is right. It is unlikely you will pursue much research in an area you are not interested in.

However I would not ever pursue a D.Min. It is not an academic degree and should you need to make use of that degree in another way such as gettting fired from a chruch above the age of 50 and join the ranks of the professors I am not sure many would even consider your degree especially if a Ph.D. is required.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assuming you have been checking with God and assuming you will continue checking with God, and assuming you will allow Him heavy guidance before you make the leap, :D I'd opt for what you really like to do. It seems to me, that might be a God given desire to excel in that area. He seldom equips us for things we won't do, thus if you already have a desire, and a good background in, then furthering that direction seems logical and most wise [​IMG]

However, I find the wisdom of men to be quite questionable [​IMG]

6. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

My education is in the field I am called to be in. I think you are wise to pursue your passion. God knows where He has gifted you and has given you that desire. Go with it.

7. PastorSBC1303

One of the things that I really like about the program at Southern is that it is completely geared towards your area of emphasis. Every one of my classes has to do with Expository Preaching.

Other programs I looked at, you could do your emphasis in preaching, but then you would have to do 2-3 classes on other areas. That did not appeal to me.

Electives are a great part of the MDiv, but I feel a DMin needs to be more specialized and I appreciate that part of the program at Southern.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't blame you at all. I'd want a completely specialized degree as well.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I think your friend might have been trying to encourage you to get a Th.M. Or, at least from what I have heard, that is usually the program to do 'leveling' work in areas that you are not strong enough for a doctoral program (although I think the concern is usually for a Ph.D.).

Keep up the good work.

Are the seminars set up where you can take them in one and two week blocks?

God bless

Wayne

10. PastorSBC1303

Southern's program is set up where you are on campus for a week in January and a week in June.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

PS

I should answer your OP!

I do not believe that you should pursue a D.Min to strengthen your weakness(es). If that was the case, then I would need to pursue a degree in administration, youth work, music, worship leadership, piano, and who knows what else.

I do believe that pursuing what you are passionate about, what God has called you to do, and to some degree what you are good at is the wisest use of your and God's resources.

Happy New Year

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Prov. 1:5, "A wise man will hear and increase in learning, And a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel,"

Prov. 12:15, "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man is he who listens to counsel."

Keep asking questions and keep learning so that you will make a wise decision and never look back with regret.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A close friend of mine is getting older and finds the grind of pastoring to be a lot for him. He would like to teach and the only people who will consider him is a seminary because his doctoral work was in preaching. His major in college was English. The problem he is faced with is the demand of pastoring and the other side of teaching which has become his passion. He is a great pastor and would make a fantastic teacher in pastoral studies. He is also very evangelistic and regularly leads people to Christ.

He has expressed that he wishes he had more of an academic degree instead of just preaching only.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Thanks!

It sounds pretty good. I may have to do some leveling work and apply in a couple of years.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would the classes you take apply to a Ph.D. if you desire that later? Typically you have 7 years to complete the Ph.D. program.

Years ago when I was a teacher at the secondary level I was able to complete a Master's program and use the same courses to apply to two other areas I wanted. Out of that I got a fifth year in, received a vocational and a K-12 credential too. I am glad I did that because the university I am at now accepted all of my hours and accepted me in their doctoral program. I didn't take any more hours just the classes to satisfy all of the programs. It meant that I did not have many electives though.

16. Broadus

Broadus Member

Some interesting points have been made.

It seems that a doctorate should be in an area of strength and passion. If one chooses to strengthen a weakness about which one has a passion, one should do a bachelor's or master's degree in that area, not a doctorate. The doctorate should build on strength, IMO.

If one desires to teach, one definitely needs to pursue a PhD. The DMin is a practical, not academic, degree, and higher ed. institutions typically will choose a candidate with a PhD over one with a DMin, all else being equal.

I would be surprised to see any DMin seminar accepted in a PhD program. They have different purposes and differing expectations.

Blessings,
    Bill

17. PastorSBC1303

I do not believe these classes would carry over into a PhD. But I have not asked.

18. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

My opinion, since i plan on seeking a D.Min. in the next couple of years is that you are doing the right thing.

I got my M.Div. from the Graham School at Southern with emphasis on Church Growth...and that is probably the area i will focus my M.Div. on also.

BTW...who are working under at SBTS for you D.Min?

bobby

19. PastorSBC1303

Dr. York is my advisor.

20. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I took Dr York for the first part of Min of Proclomation...i enjoyed it, especially since he had such a passion for preaching.

God bless on your studies.
    bdd