1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mindset for doing the DMin

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by PastorSBC1303, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey to all,

I just wanted to put in a plug:

All of you know of course, that Dr. York is a "MABTS' Man."

I thought that might stir the mix a bit from a MABTS' alumni point of view. HA!

By the by, I just finished my DMin from The University of the South/Sewanee an Episcopal School of Theology a couple of years ago. Be happy to offer an opinion if one is needed or wanted. I have made seminary education my ministry, or at least it seems that way.

My dissertation topic was:

"A Rhetorical Taxonomy of John Paul II's Jubilee 2000 Papal Apology."

Cheers!

sdg!

rd

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

A dissertation for a DMin? That seems different. Is that common?

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Yep, it is very common. Some places do not call it a dissertation..but a final project..but it is basically the same thing.

Dr. York is a great professor and I consider myself lucky to have him as my advisor.

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

Rhet's dissertation is a bit unusual, it appears, for a DMin. Usually, DMins culminate with a major project, something like "Establishing a Youth Bible Study to Teach Christian Worldview at Rocky Bottom Baptist Church." It's a practical project.

PhD dissertations, on the other hand, are typically more academic and research oriented. From its title, it appears that Rhet was able to do a PhD-type dissertation in his DMin program.

Rhet, correct me if I'm wrong.

Bill

5. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill (Broadus'--one of my favorite heroes),

As most things in life, my PhD/DMin has a long and rambling story behind it.

You have said it correctly as always. I value and appreciate your insight and opinions.

sdg!

rd

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "To all who have an ear!"

Let me just say a few things that might make someone turn this way or that way concerning the doing of ANY DOCTORAL DEGREE.

If you choose to do a doctorate of any kind from an accredited school (RA &/or ATS), PhD, EdD, or DMin; you are absolutely & postitively going to have to work long and hard. "There are no free lunches!" It will end up consuming you for that period of time.

The costs will be great: economically, spiritually, emotionally, academically, professionally, internally, externally, transportationally, et al, and in ways and means you did not ever imagine b/f you began.

Just remember, whether or not you want to do a doctorate in an area of interest/expertise or to enhance an area where you are weak; the cost(s) and energy levels paid are unbelievable. And most of these are unforeseen.

My two cents worth!

But, remember; Hebrew Wisdom is knowing and then doing accordingly!

And under no circumstances; do an earned & terminal doctorate JUST TO ACQUIRE A TITLE!!! The costs are TOO HIGH!!! Go buy one if that is all you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sdg!

rd

7. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Having a MDiv, ThM in Systematics, and a PhD in NT, I can tell you that what Rhetorician says above is not the half of it. During the same years I completed my education, I pastored 2 different fast-growing full-time churches and fathered 3 children (by the same woman of course). This type of commitment is not for the faint of heart.

I now pastor a "seeker" type church in the West and rarely draw from my academic experience.

Go figure.

8. PastorSBC1303

Rhet,

Being in the middle of my DMin from Southern, I completely agree with you.

I do think there is a mindset out there that the DMin is not much work and people can breeze through to a degree. I do not know about some places, but I know that is not true with Southern's DMin. It has thoroughly kicked me in the pants so far.

9. All about Grace

The DMin is definitely not AS MUCH work as the PhD. Having investigated both degrees extensively, there is really no comparison. The DMin is a good degree and very practical for those who will remain in local church ministry. But the PhD is the highest American academic degree for a reason.

While I plan to stay in local church ministry for life, I am glad I have the PhD (now that it is over).

10. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Well, on my end my goal is a D.Min...which is not something i plan to earn just to have the "Dr" added to my name (in fact, i doubt i would use the "Dr" anyway).
    I do plan on staying in the local church and after taking 8 years to get my M.Div. my wife will now allow the letters p,h and d to be used in my house in that order!

11. All about Grace

The first and last time I was called Dr in the formal sense of the word (instead of just a nickname which some of my closest friends do sarcastically) was when I walked across the stage and Al Mohler said congratulations "Dr".

I slapped him on the rear end and said "Thanks Al."

Just kidding about the latter of course.

12. PastorSBC1303

[​IMG]

I will have to remember to do that at my graduation, I am sure Al would appreciate it. ;)

13. Broadus

Broadus Member

If you don't mind my asking, what years were you at Southern?

Bill

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

It seems to me that many D.Min. programs have really improved the academic level of their programs. The focus on one area of interest seems to be a new emphasis. The program I'm in is much closer to a Ph.D. track then a practical ministry oriented track.

I'm studying at Gordon-Conwell in the area of Revival and Reform. I know that my dissertation is at the level of Ph.D. dissertations.

For the record, the U.S. Department of Education considers a D.Min. on par with the Ph.D. as research degrees. Now I know that in reality, even if they were, academic circles will disagree with that.

But there are many fields where folks are earning the Ph.D. degree and putting out substandard work.

I've enjoyed my time and work at G-C. But when it is all said and done, I wish I had earned a Ph.D. instead of a D.Min.