1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

minimal update to the kjv?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by timothy 1769, Aug 9, 2003.

1. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

were there ever any updates to the kjv that only tried to replace archaic words with modern equivalents, without otherwise 'improving' the translation?

the kind of update i'm talking about could be done with the 1828 webster's dictionary and strong's concordance.

what do you think of the idea? is there room for an extremely minimal update of the kjv?

and no, the nkjv does not qualify [​IMG]

i'll give my opinion later.

2. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I don't own a copy I cannot speak for it directly, but didn't the KJV21 claim to do this?

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The updates to the KJV over the years have been much more than minimal. Unfortunately, they have not been enough.

For such a task, an 1828 Webster's and a Strong's are not the tools for the job. You need the Greek texts, the lexicons, and a modern English dictionary if you are going to do this. People do not understand the limitations of strongs. For a word that gets 2-3 in Strong's, the basic Greek lexicon gives several paragraphs, sometimes several columns, on some occasions several pages. You simply cannot do this task with Strong's. It is not the right tool for the job. One of hte problems with Strong's is that it gives people the belief that they are equipped to critique the Greek from it.

As an alternative to all that, you can use one of several faithful modern translations that are easily understood and even more accurate than the KJV. There is no need to reinvent the wheel on this one.

4. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

There is a translation called "King James 2000". The archaic are replaced and that´s it. You can find it here .

5. Bugman

Bugman New Member

Isn't the KJV 200 the same as the Modern King James Version?

Anyways the MJKV is aviable with E-Sword. I use it when I'm talking to someone who has problems with the old words in it. Personall I liek the old words.

Bryan
    SDG

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Wasn't this the goal of the ASV 1901? Not sure, myself.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't know if the KJV2k is the same as the Modern King James Version, but I believe the MKJV that you're referring to also replaces archaic phrases like "I do you to wit" with "I make known to you". Additionally, it repaces the "unicorn" with the correctly translated "wild ox".

So it's not just an update of the "thee's and "thou's", nor should it be. I haven't read it, but I think it might be worth at least a glance. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

8. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

The KJ2000 is NOT the MKJV! It is a version that updates some old words like thees and thous... nothing else!!!

9. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

i find the thee's and thou's to be easy to understand and exetremely useful. i guess i'm more concerned with things like let, prevent, etc.

but given man's tendency to gloriy his own worldly wisdom and that we are living in an age of apostasy, i think this is not the time to attempt any update, even such a minor update as replacing archaic, confusing words.

i do think the "defined kjv" is a decent idea, though i haven't bought one yet. they put the definitions of archaic and uncommon words in the margin.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Modern translations go one step better ... they put them in the text where they belong :D

11. Bugman

Bugman New Member

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the 60's the Scofield Reference Bible was revised in the "New" Scofield . . In it, about 400 archaic words from the AV are replaced with modern English equivalents. The original AV words are in the margin.

13. Forever settled in heaven

i always got tripped up in KJB memory verse quizzes in school cos i think the replacements weren't consistently flagged.

i wonder how many places still have verbatim quizzes--either KJB or MV/NIV/?

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1965-66 I took Personal Evangelism class and was required to memorize 128 verses. Still know MOST of them to this day. Thank God for those "mean" professors.

We had to write them word perfect, KJV(whatever revision you used, mine was 1769 version). I can hear a hue and cry if we tried to have that same standard for a 2-credit class in college today!

15. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

What is wrong with the original Authorised Version of 1611? That is one of the Versions of the Word of God that I use.