1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Minister charged in 'Exorcism' death...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Aug 27, 2003.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Journal Sentinel staff
    Last Updated: Aug. 26, 2003

A church minister was charged Tuesday with physical abuse of a child in the death of an 8-year-old autistic boy who died as church leaders tried to heal him at a storefront church in Milwaukee.

[​IMG]
    Terrance Cottrell Jr.

Ray Hemphill, 45, was charged with physical abuse of a child causing great bodily harm, a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison and $25,000 in fines.

Terrance Cottrell Jr. suffocated after a church elder at the Faith Temple Church of the Apostolic Faith on Milwaukee's north side sat on his chest, police said. The Milwaukee County medical examiner's office ruled the death a homicide Monday. The cause was "mechanical asphyxia due to external chest compression."

Milwaukee County District Attorney E. Michael McCann said a charge of homicide would have required prosecutors to prove that Hemphill knew his actions had a likelihood of killing the boy, rather than just hurting him.

"He would consciously be aware that what he was doing had a great likelihood of causing death. We did not feel we could prove it," McCann said.

He said the fact that the boy died at a religious service made the case more complicated.

"Their intent was to help this young man. No one says they set out to hurt this young man."

A high-ranking Milwaukee police source said Monday that Ray Hemphill told investigators that he would sit on the boy's chest for up to two hours at a time during prayer services at the small storefront church at 8709 W. Fond du Lac Ave. The nightly prayer services started three weeks ago, police say Hemphill told them.

THE REST OF THE STORY

2. g_1933

g_1933 New Member

This is a very sad story.

(Edit)
    For the boys family that is.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

the "pastor" and the adult culpable should be taken out back and shot.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

How awful. Just abuse? And the parents should be charged as well as anyone who participated in this. There was another case not long ago where a woman bound a child saying her problems were caused during birth and she had not bonded because she had been put up for adoption. The charge was manslaughter.

Diane

5. Elnora

Elnora New Member

This brought to my remembrance a year or so ago. I can't remember all the details but supposed therapists with degrees used this this technique to get children under control, just not in the name of Christ. Does anyone remember these incidents? I believe they were sued for killing at least one child in this manner.

6. I Am Blessed 24

Elnora, I think you and Diane are talking about the same case.

The therapist said the child needed to go through the birth canal again and wrapped her up so tightly in sheets, that when the girl fought to get loose, she smothered to death.

What IS this world coming to? Oh yeah, the WORLD!

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm not normally in favor of abortion, but in church minister Ray Hemphill's case, I would not only be in favor, I would have gone back in time to perform the procedure on him myself.

Okay, maybe not, but "he should be shot" just seems to humane.

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

How is it that people can become so brainwashed as to get involved in this type of thing in the first place?

9. I Am Blessed 24

Looking for acceptance that, unfortunately, is lacking in many of our "regular" churches perhaps?

10. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

These sort of things threaten our religious liberty; we all tend to be tarred with the same brush in the public mind. The participants is this mess should be charged with some form of homicide and then a jury determine whether we are talking murder or manslaughter

Yours in Christ

Matt

11. I Am Blessed 24

I agree 100% Matt! [​IMG]

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

How very sad that a child should be treated this way. I think the mother should be charged, it is her legal duty to see to the welfare of her children. At the very least allowing him to be sat on by an adult is neglect, and it resulting in death, seems she could be charged.
    It is becasue of thinsg like this they want to take away our religeous freedoms, these people do more harm then good for God in the eyes of the unbelievers.

13. I Am Blessed 24

You're right Katie. The 'world' is watching all of us just waiting for a reason to point a finger and call us fanatics and take more religious rights away from us.

Unfortunately, almost anyone can get a certificate saying they are a preacher. They even have mail order certificates!

I think everyone in that service should be held accountable. They all allowed this to happen. Not one of them stood up and said, "enough".

14. Elnora

Elnora New Member

That's it Sue, you have a better memory than I do. I was way back there. Thanks for reminding me.

15. Dina

Dina New Member

Well, that is partly right. When I first heard about this story my heart broke. As the mother of a 10 year old autistic son, I can say that there are sooooo many people out there that claim to have the "cure" for Autism. And it just ticks me off that so many people out there still have no clue about disabilties. And because some of the parents of disabled children are are made to feel that it is their fault that the child is disabled, they fall for the guilt trip and are desparate to try and "cure" it.

The entire church that was present needs to be charged with something.

As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
    "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.

16. I Am Blessed 24

Dina; You may be right. I didn't think 'intelligent' people were still laboring under that misconception! :(

I have a son who is epileptic. I thank God that I was never in a church that blamed me for his condition.

My church does everything possible to accomodate people who are spiritually, mentally, physically, or emotionally handicapped.

One lady gave birth to twins when she was a member of our church. As soon as we found out, the Pastor found someone to teach sign language to anyone interested (especially to people who would be teaching her).

We have a "Special Friends" group of mentally challenged people that the church van brings to church every Sunday. They are a delight to have in the service!

Blessings,
    Sue

17. Xingyi Warrior

Xingyi Warrior New Member

It's just another classic example of how some churches are still deluded that the world is full of demons and hobgoblins that, although they never have seen them in real life and working, insist that these forces are actively responsible for every thing that does not meet up with their preconcieved idea of the perfect world. Its funny (actually sad) to hear some Christians say that scientific research and empirical data have no relevence to modern day Christians and then they whine and bawl when something like this happens due to their own ignorance.

18. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm...without wishing to derail this thread, would you say your statement equally applies to those who espouse Young Earth Creationism? If so, you've just fallen out with quite a few on BB!

Yours in Christ

Matt