1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ministries

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Bro. Williams, Jul 24, 2007.

?
  1. Tracts

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. street preaching/open air preaching

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. jail

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. nursing home

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. visitation/door to door

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
  6. publick witnessing (streets, malls, stores, etc.)

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  7. media (tv, radio, internet)

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. mission work (or the support thereof)

21 vote(s)
    87.5%
  9. witnessing by phone, letter, cards, etc.

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  10. other

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Just curious as to what ministried other churches do in light of the ones I will ist. If you do others let me know!

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We have ministries in schools, supermarkets, offices, a rehab centre, and on basketball courts. We minister through tutoring and teaching, through airplane clubs, and in the local shops.

We strive to see our folks have a ministry wherever they are.

3. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I forgot to mention you can vote for more than one, and if you pick other, please share. Our church has specific ministries (including services) 5 days a week but we are always looking for other options and ideas to get more invovled. Thanks for the help.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

just this past week, our students did a carwash and a window wash in an area parking lot. No money or donations allowed. We then got to answer almost every time the great lead-in question, "Why are you doing this?"

Another fun one: (requires an accomplice) Pay for the person's food or road toll behind you...and if the drive-through attendant allows, have them give a tract to that person behind you. Fun and effective.

5. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Running sporting events to build contacts in the community and ESL classes have been the most effective ministries in our church.

6. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I would love to have an ESL ministry here, no one with spanish abilities though....

7. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

:thumbs: I cannot recommend it highly enough. It's extremely practical and has been particularly effective with older, alienated people who don't have the pressures of daily school and work interactions to spur them to learn. The group meets once a week to fellowship and study with those capable of teaching and each participant is given the numbers of other people in the church who they can call during the week to practice their English. It's a great program!

8. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

At the moment we don't seem to have a big interest in the Hispanic population here, other than the First Baptist Church which has some kind of service for them. I don't know how much it is geared towards the Gospel and I know the church is highly Calvinistic, so I am not sure about it in the least.

Being in rural Ky, there are MANY hispanics here. we have seen some saved through various ministries, but all have required a translator that wasn't part of our church or just the use of tracts and booklets.

I had an oppurtunity to work at a Christian school where some Hispanics are living as foster children and it would have been a great oppurtunity to learn the language better. I need to add this need back to my prayer list. Thanks for the info!

9. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Our church has in the past hosted various other services, but has presently (and I believe rightly) chosen to bring everyone together now. They're accommodated by some of our more gifted members providing a live translation that's broadcast to wireless headphones which are provided. It helps us minister on a scale smaller than whole services while helping integrate them into the main church body and nips any sense of second-class status that can sometimes creep in. If you ever find yourself blessed by the presence of someone capable of such translation (sending them a copy of the sermon in advance helps a great deal), I cannot recommend it highly enough!

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am on a team that holds services at a mental health ( psych ) ward . The Gospel is presented quite clearly and often despite our Calvinism:laugh: .

Bro.W : "I don't know how much it is geared towards the Gospel and I know the church is highly Calvinistic , so I'm not sure about it in the least ."

BW : You need to study much more before saying such careless things . You were correct though , in that you said that you were "not sure about it in the least ."

11. BM

BM New Member

Our church has a food bank for the needy, support a program for men with addictions and my husband and I are chaplains for a juvenile detention center which our church supports.

**Becky**

12. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Im not sure what parts you are from, but Calvinist just about equals bum around here. Most calvs around these parts don't lift a finger in the ministry in regards to outreach.

I think you would be the careless one here. also, that is what I said "I am not sure about it in the least". I am familiar with Ian Paisely to some extent and fmailiar with his outreach ministries of the past. I am also familiar with some of the old "sky pilots" of the past who who missionaries to the northern loggin camps, who were calvinists, but their sole ministry was evangelism.

This is why I said what I said, it was a general statement, that I don't know much about the place. Try reading something before posting random nonsense.

Back to the topic: Glad your church does outreach Rippon.

#12 Bro. Williams, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Our church does all of the ministries you mentioned and also we open our ministry center to the public for exercising and walking indoors. One of our people always witness to them.

We have a "Fish Bowl" ministry in many of the local businesses. We have gold fish bowls that are filled with DVD sermons that are preached at our church. These bowls are refilled weekly.

We have a Reformer's Unanimous group to reach the addicted and some of the people are sent here by the judges instead of jail or AA.

We also have a bus ministry, which was not on the list.

Also not on the list was a Christian school. This is open to the public also.

14. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here are a few of the outreach ministries that we are involved with (despite our Calvinism):

* Chuch planting
    * Homeless ministry -- food distribution & sharing the Gospel each Sunday afternoon with inner city homeless
    * Pre-Elementary, Christian Day School
    * Seminary (Miami International Theological Seminary), a "missions" seminary -- see www.mints.edu
    * Local & Foreign mission support
    * Short term mission trips by adults & students
    * Addiction Recovery -- see www.aliveagainministries.com
    * Grief Share Counseling (those those who have lost loved ones)
    * Divorce Care Counseling

15. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

How could I forget the bus ministry option? :BangHead: My apologies. (we live somewhat close to an Anderson backed school (of Hyles-Anderson) and am familiar with the bus ministry.

I like the idea of the fishbowl, something like that would be a great tool.

16. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

It is good you don't let that doctrine hinder you as so many do here in my local area (we are a hot seat for Boyce of Louisville... I think its the lake here). Always glad to see people working.

17. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Sorry, never heard of Boyce College so I don't know exactly what to what you are referring.

No, our doctrine does not "hinder" us as you say. If you truly believe that, then... never mind. Ever hear of Evangelism Explosion?

18. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

No I haven't heard of it.

19. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Evangelism Explosion [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]is a method of sharing one's faith and is[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] one of the most widely used tools for training pastors and lay people for evangelism. See www.eeinternational.org for more information. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bottom line, it was started by a Calvinist. [/FONT]

20. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I'll be extra careful then, thanks.