1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ministry for animals

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by massdak, Mar 30, 2005.

1. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

i had one person tell me that they believed God purposed them to be here to take care of animals in need. does that sound right?

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

God has purpose for animals - all to His glory. Aren't you glad that the person to whom the donkey belonged took care of it up until the time the Lord had need of it?

I don't know if it sounds right, but the care of animals can be done to the glory of God. It's possible.

3. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Hi massdak,

I read your question and had about 30 more pop into my head while I was reading your post.....

Can you elaborate as to what this person said to you?

4. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all have a purpose, why not that? I do my job, you do yours, and whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
    So what's the question?

5. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

I think the 'title' of this thread is a bit misleading...I was all ready to jump in a debate.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

There was a short lived t.v. show about a family who felt led to help sick, injured or misplaced animals. They called their shelter "Noah's Ark". I have no trouble with this ministry. Animals bring joy to their owners and are created by God.

7. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

the person talked about the calling that they had to care for animals as in a rescue situtation. i do not see any biblical calling for such a thing.
    i am not against helping animals in need mind you.

8. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

i actually never gave it a thought as to the care of the animal. do you believe it was up to the care of the animal to help God do His will ?

9. CubeX

CubeX New Member

God placed Adam in the Garden to take care of what He created. There's a thought. Hope it helps.
    -David

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

God intends for us to take care of His creation, animals included. As responsable christians we do certain things to take care of God's creation, don't liter, recycle if possible, and care for animals around you (such as pets or feeding the birds, leaving whatever for squirels). Be warned though, I don't know about your state, but here when you feed a stray it is legally yours, you are as responsable for it as if you bought it and took it home on purpose. Meaning you are responsable for shots, general safety, food, shelter, (even if it bites someoen)etc.

11. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

Here's a thought...What about insects, bugs and stuff? Where do they fall in line? When I swat a mosquito, is that the same as killing a puppy? Where do you draw the line? I know it's kind of an odd question, but have we placed animals higher than we ought? Myself, I don't know the answer!

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

All jobs can be a calling -- God can use you in an office, cleaning homes, fixing cars, welding, teaching school, nursing, etc. Why not caring for or rescuing animals?

I wouldn't dispute this person - that may be where God wants them. "Do all as unto the Lord."

13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a hunter, I abide by the rules of fair hunting. As a Bible believer, I see all the animals on earth aren't as important to GOD as just ONE HUMAN BEING.

God told Noah the animals were given to him & his family for meat. Later, Jacob admonished Reuben and Simeon for mutilating oxen.

We must balance between USE and CRUELTY.

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

To many it does.

The purpose of God in the beginning included we have dominion over all things. We fouled up from the start and we foul up now. We have fallen from our tasks, so we may as well forget about trying to regain that which we refused in our free wills. We are now to turn over such matters to Him. We can't handle our every day lives, so we become frustrated and turn to something that cannot talk back to us, and we take care of them, adopting them as our own. So there Mr. and Mrs. World. You want Love. Well here it is, and it is I that show it to you, you--you old meanies. This is MY GOD, and you better believe it.

I’m afraid those that put “animal love” above everything else are confused. All this time I thought we were to be spreading the Word of God, which today is His “grace commission”. If this person can “talk to the animals” I would say for heaven sake’s make sure they preach to the “animals” that they are to be saved and believe on the “name of the Lord Jesus Christ” for their salvation. But even when in that dispensation of tongues, I can't find where they were talking to "the animals". Loose screws need to be tightened, or they fall off and are replaced with a new one, hopefully securely tightened.

However if these people are saved, and their “first love is their Lord and Savior”, then their tender heart of kindness to animals down here (not the lovers of animals and not humans) will give them great comfort down here, of believing they are the loving ones. They Have Their Reward. Otherwise these people are going to be in heaven without their “loved ones”, or they are going to be with “their loved one/s” in “puppy, kitty, horse”, or where ever God has appointed the animal’s final destination to be.

What did Jesus while on the earth think of dogs? They are to be kept in their place, as they do not belong at our table, our bed, or to be the affection of our love, or our lover. He tell us this in Matthew 15:23-28. God will not tolerate any other God in His realm, so that is the reason His very own nation, His very own people are dogs today just as I, a Gentile. But by the Grace of God the Father, through His only begotten Son, every dog in human form today can be saved, without any kind of Work, which all before, and after we are gone, did, or will have to do. Only we today since the beginning and the end come through the faith of Jesus Christ in the works that He did for us. It is in His kingdom we are which is in the kingdom that His Father gave to Him, and Christ Jesus is in the kingdom of God the Father. Christian faith, ituttut

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Well, I'm not sure where anyone mentions worshipping animals, or making them equal to God, or above God, or a god at all in this thread.
    What?
    Apparently you think no one should have a pet becsasue they aren't human. And who says people who work with animals aren't telling anyone about the gospel. Nowhere in scripture does it say you have to have a job preaching to anyone. It only tells us to share the gospel. God gives the oppertunities, anywhere we may be.
    Do you run astray all the time or just on occasion?

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

People are taking this too far. How do they know God isn't calling this person to care for animals for His own purposes? Maybe it will teach the person something or maybe God will use that person to bring the gospel to some people this way.

If someone said they felt God wanted them to wash windows or fix cars, would you dispute that? Probably not. So why dispute this? Caring for animals is not a sin. No one here is saying that animals are worth more than people. Good grief.

17. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Hello Marcia and donnA. Washing windows and fixing cars is a talent being put to good use.

Do either of you remember what massdak asked? I believe He is looking for an honest forthright answer, which I gave. To refresh your memories massdak’s request is [/b]“i had one person tell me that they believed God purposed them to be here to take care of animals in need. does that sound right?”[/I] Rescue the “perishing animals” is this person’s calling from God? How quaint your outlook on life.

This person is not talking about their calling to be a Veterinarian, but the calling from God to be an “Animal Rights Advocate”, or just a plain old “animal lover”, over all other things. Go save that whale, it will only cost taxpayers a few hundred thousand dollars. The whale is saved, and upon rescue by these loving, over zealous, understanding God and animal kooks, the animal “beaches”.

In their eyes, every animal is in need, and their pets become their all, and they will have you in court if in their eyes they believe you are mistreating or not correctly feeding your animal. And many Veterinarians’ will do the same. I know of two innocent people that two Vets swearing these people had mistreated the animals when they brought them in for treatment. I saw the accidents the animals had, and we did our darnest to make the over zealous, so loving animal worshiper’s, look as foolish are they were.

I wasn’t talking about the normal person. I was talking about a person believing God purposed them to be here for one purpose, and that is to take whatever steps are needed to take care of animals in need, and love them more than anything in this world.

We’ve had pets most of our lives, and two are safely in a “Pet Cemetery”, but at first (we both had animals when we were kids),we had them for our children, and the dogs and cat then became ours. We took good care of them, with their home in our back yard, but the last few years the cat got to stay in the house because of age; The dogs lived for 17, and 19 years, and the cat 17.

When the last dog died she said that was it,for she worried about the dog being alright, or sometime it may be constipated, or just wasn't feeling or look well, and she could not even take a one day trip much less two or three week trips, without worrying about the dog. Her purpose in life she decided was not some stupid animal, but her family, and friends, and others in need. The hundreds of dollars spent annually we decided would be added to our giving of spreading the Word, helping the poor and downtrodden, and medical causes. Are We any different than both of you, and other Christians, seeing our purpose to help others that cannot help themselves and many in the need prayer and Christ Jesus?

I gave you my take, and I didn’t believe I would be offending any on this board made up of Christians. But we all don’t think alike, and for that I do thank God. You believe your way, and I’ll believe mine. He has a place for us all.

Just for the fun of it, what is a “pet”? They are domesticated animals kept for Companionship (I have a wife, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, and friends), or Amusement (I have a wife, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, and friends). Christian faith, ituttut

18. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

In my mind this is pretty clear from the story of creation in Genesis.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    Gen 1:27 So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
    Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
    Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
    Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein [there is] life, [I have given] every green herb for meat: and it was so.
    Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, [it was] very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

God gave man dominion (responsibility) over the Earth and all the animals in it. He then declared that everything that He had made was good. Aren't we disobeying God's expressed commandment if we mistreat the Earth and the animals? If someone wants to help carry out God's plan by taking care of animals (e.g. become a Vet, etc.) I see that as carrying out God's command to be responsible for the Earth. This is also true for those who want to protect the environment.

19. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

i disagree with you in that those who are hung up on protecting the earth and those who place priority on animals other then people are not doing the Lords will. we as Christians are to love our enemy this is greater then having dominion over animals.

20. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Did I say that taking care of God's non-human creation is more important than showing love to God and to our fellow man? Show me exactly where I said that. Also, why do you not believe we show follow God's command in Genesis?