1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Minuteman Civil Defense Corps

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

The Minuteman Civil Defense Corps were in Houston, Texas today to train a group of about 30 persons to help combat illegal immigration later this year when they patrol the Texas border with Mexico.

The group performs border surveillance and contacts the US Border Patrol whenever the spot people coming across the border they suspect are illegal immigrants.

As could be expected, the League of United Latin American Citizens, claims the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps is out to harass and intimidate. Of course, they probably feel the same way about the US Border Patrol.

Stopping illegal immigration will require strong resolve to deal with the political and economic ramifications.

Be ready to stand your ground with your representatives if you believe this problem must be stopped. We can be certain others will be screaming their lungs out about any efforts - especially organized actions by local citizens who've had enough - claiming racism or such.

2. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

So Dragoon are you going to follow fearless leader
    to the border and Nip it!<gig>

[​IMG]

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

You never know what I might do, ALANSPAL. However, if I do make it to this particular event I'm not expecting to find you there.

4. elijah_lives

elijah_lives New Member

Our immigration problem is government's biggest failure, and one of the few legitimate, constitutional responsibilities of our federal government. Too many politicians of every partisan persuasion have ignored their duty.

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The ASP strikes again! :D

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Where are all those who scream that something be done about illegal immigration? Where is the support for those willing to do something about it within the law and working with the law? Where is the demand that our government do what it's supposed to do about this problem? Where is the common citizen? Are they asleep? Do they care? Are they just waiting to see what is politically correct?

8. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

The Minuteman Civil Defense Corps are performing a great service to this country.

The Bush administration has been inept and negligent in this area. If terrorists sneak across this border and commit an act of Terror similar to 911, British or Spanish bombings the blame will be on President Bush.

The Minuteman recapture the original American spirit this country was built upon.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

Especially considering that Bush is out to destroy the state national guard units.

10. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

That's a ridiculous accusation! How do you come up with ideas like this?

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Agreed, based on what we've seen so far of their conduct.

The blame has to be spread considerably wider than the current administration. The ultimate blame rests with the citizens who have not demanded their government take the necessary action over the past several decades to halt illegal immigration despite political and economic impacts. While the current administration isn't doing nearly enough, it's unfair to blame them for everything that's wrong today.

Agree, so far. Let's hope they'll continue to perform a valuable service!

12. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

----------------------------------
    The conservatives like the cheap labor. The Liberals like the human rights angle. And frankly, I get tired of being off handedly referred to as a racist if I bring it up in public. Although I admire the minutmen, 30 guys, unarmed, watching the Mexican border is going to do nothing. The ONLY thing that will bring some kind of attention to the problem, (notice I said attention, not solution, because I dont know what you do with the millions that are already here), is to make it a campaign issue for every politician from the local county prosecutor level to the highest federal office. My biggest fear is even if we had a public backlash, and some politicians with some intestinal fortitude banding together to do something, it is already to late. Just like it was planned.

13. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

You nailed the two main reasons, in my opinion, this problem hasn't been addressed as it should be! Everyone - liberal or conservative - likes cheap labor when they're paying for it.

You're also correct that now, because of the lack of prior action over a long period of time, the problem is much bigger.

14. billwald

billwald New Member

Bush is proposing to transfer the Washington and Oregon State National Guard Units to the east coast.

15. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

billwald: Source?

16. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

That doesn't mean the President is destroying the National Guard which was your initial claim!

The structure of the military - active, reserve, and guard - is constantly being adjusted to meet changing needs in the most effective manner possible. There's always considerable debate - internally and externally - on these type changes but, ultimately, decisions have to be made. This means, from time to time, some specific States are going to loose federal recognition of certain units as the federal, verses the state, needs change while others are going to gain.

Let's not make the process into something it's not!

The States, by the way, are still free to fund their own guard or militia units to meet state needs which is their normal purpose so long as it complies with federal law regarding state military forces.