1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miracles

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by El_Guero, Sep 25, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Have you experienced a miracle?

2. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I said that it wasn't true that only God can cause a miracle because it seems that demons can influence the physical world (like with Moses and Pharoah's priests), although I think their ability in this is very limited.

3. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Petrel,
    Could you please explain in more detail,my little brain doe's not understand.
    thanks!

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

The results are not what I was expecting.

That makes this even more interesting.

5. Pickerel

Pickerel New Member

One only has to look at "apparitional mary" and the "huckstery" that is going on there! People are being healed by this "demon", but people continue to flock and pray at these "shrines" as if it were a direct commandment from Christ himself...! :rolleyes:

Only Christ Saves!

6. tschau

tschau New Member

sorry double post

7. tschau

tschau New Member

What is a miracle?

Several years ago a girl in our church was diagnosed on her first birthday of a very aggressive, quick growing cancer in the last stadium
    10% chance of survival.
    She is now 5 years old and a sweet and healthy kid.
    Is this just luck and good treatement by the doctors?
    You can imaginese that all the church was praying hard,
    for me this is a miracle, a healing by the Lord, through the hands of doctors but a miracle of the Lord.

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Should Faith in Jesus Christ influence belief in miracles?

I misread this question and answered "No" and should have answered "Yes".

Miacle: an effect in the physical world which surpasses all known human or natural powers and is therefore ascribed to supernatural agency. (American College Dictionary)

I know the word miracle is used quite frequently to describe some unusual, odd, or rare event but I think this really weakens the full impact of what a miracle is. It is a violation of the laws of physics, something totally impossible without the interaction of the supernatural. Demons can certainly influence the physical and interact with it but I don't know whether they can actually violate God's laws or merely fool us into thinking that they have (not a real hard thing to do).

9. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

A miracle will always glorify God.
    I believe it is always the answer to prayer as well.

Years ago I received a healing from a deadly, and disfiguring cancer. There is no doubt that it was a miracle as it was "present" for several weeks, including the morning the surgeons were going to remove what they could, and it was "removed" by the time the surgeons got into the region. The hospital board of surgeons even admitted it was a miracle.

There will be tricks, and there may be demons who seem to do miracles - but demons won't credit the Holy Father with answering prayer when they use their tricks.

10. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I was referring to when God through Moses struck Egypt with the plagues, and Pharoah's magicians mimicked each one. Of course it would have been more useful to reverse God's plague, but I guess they couldn't do that!

Plus demoniacs have been said to be able to tell the future and have superhuman strength, both of which are paranormal.

I don't know if these should really be called miracles, though. Perhaps supernatural interference?

11. Pickerel

Pickerel New Member

What about the "miracles" at Lourdes, Fatima, Medjugore...etc...People have been Miraculously healed of all sorts of ailments...Just because you see a "miracle" does not mean it is from God...!

2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan, with all power, and signs, and lying wonders,

Only Christ Saves!

12. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Pickerel,

There is a major difference in a true miracle from God, and in a parlor trick. Pharoah's men did parlor tricks.

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That is true ... and I did not think about that when I made the questions. But, after thinking about the question, I still think God is the One behind miracles.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Each of us experiences miracles every day. Sadly, few of us will recognize them, let alone recosnize them as miracles.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'd like to see a documented case of just one whose credibility is not suspect. There have been thousands of sightings of the loch ness moster too, but that doesn't make it real.
    Very true. A miracle is a work of wonder, not a work of magic. Defying the laws of the universe is not required for something to be a miracle. Jesus is teh great physycian, not the great magician.

16. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I'd like to see a documented case of just one whose credibility is not suspect. There have been thousands of sightings of the loch ness moster too, but that doesn't make it real.</font>[/QUOTE]Oh, I think you'll trust my source. ;)

Acts 16:16-18

Mark 5:1-9

I think that there is not much demon possession in the civilized world at this time because the current tactic is for demons to pretend that they don't exist, playing along with the mindset of rationality and materialism. Right now they mostly mess with people who go looking for them.

I think probably 90% of modern paranormal occurences are made up or imagined, but I wouldn't say that demonic interference is impossible.

17. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Ever seen that guy Chris Angel? Saw him last night walking up and down a building among other things. That guy is very creepy. I wonder if it's all illusion or if he has "help".

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Petrel

Can you verify this? ;)

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Personally, God has performed miracles in my life several times.

But, the one I always cherish the most is the miracle of my salvation. ;)

20. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Can you verify this? ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Ahh, you got me! It's just hearsay! :D