1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miracles

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by El_Guero, Sep 25, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Some people think Pharaoh's magicians did "tricks" but we don't really know. The Bible says they did it by magic arts. I think there is a limited power in the occult but it is not a miracle. Only God does miracles - miracles are lasting and glorify God. Occult powers take attention away from the true God or from the true Jesus and, I believe, are not lasting, such as in healing. Ultimately, such powers are destructive to the one using them and sometimes to the person who is the recipient (if there is one).

God's miracles are life giving; Satan's powers are death giving.

As far as the Acts 16 fortuneteller goes, I think that
    1. It shows there is demonic power or influence in occult divination
    2. The passage does not mean she really told the future; she may have said things about the future but we don't know if they came true.

I used to give future forecasts in astrology readings for people. There is a lot ot explain what seems to come true from that.

2. Servent

Servent Member

AMEN,AMEN,AMEN

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Whether or not I have faith, miracles happen. They usually strengthen my faith.

4. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

God has performed many miracles just to keep me alive. Looking back I am so thankful that I have a family that believed in miracles.

5. NomadsWife

NomadsWife New Member

One week before my 10th birthday I broke my right wrist jumping rope. (Don't laugh!) I was in hospital for 2 days as a result of it since this was back in the days before they set bones and released you on an outpatient basis. My wrist hurt badly for two days. One day a couple from our church came to visit me in the hospital and the moment they walked into my hospital room, my wrist quit hurting and never hurt again. The couple were a godly couple and loved God, so I believe to this day that God healed me as a result of their prayers because my arm hurt so badly one minute and the next it didn't hurt all and has not to this day.

So yes, I have experienced a miracle in my life.

NomadsWife

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

God acts as He wills.God does many things we can't explain.We call those things miracles to Him it's just an everyday practice He uses for our benefit and His glory.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

He also does many things we can explain, and they're miracles nonetheless. Just because they're explainable, doesn't mean they're any less miraculous.

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I firmly believe that if we were anywhere as close to God as we should be, this type of thing would be normal!!!! [​IMG]

9. hopefullyhelping

hopefullyhelping New Member

I have prayed for and received several miracles in my life and I completely and totally believe that God has answered my prayers, I have several family members who are alive today who would not have been if God had not answered my prayers.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If everything wonderful is a miracle, then a miracle means nothing. A miracle is by definition a supernatural act of God, not explained by natural means.

11. hopefullyhelping

I am taking about real miracles where science had given up hope. Where someone should for all intents and purposes be gone and buried but through a miracle they made it. In fact Dr.'s said it is a miracle. Or in one case of internal bleeding it was a nurse who said miracle.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's not scriptural. It does not mean that a miracle means nothing. It means that miracles are abundant. Have we really become so jaded to everything God has given us?
    That's a manmade view, not a scriptural view. A miracle is a work of wonder, not a work of magic. Jesus was the great physician, not the great magician.
    Again, that's a manmade definition, not a scriptural definition. Where does it say that a miracle is onyl such when science has given up?? When we raise the bar to suit our expectations, we become oblivious to the obvious miracles around us every day.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

That's not scriptural. It does not mean that a miracle means nothing. It means that miracles are abundant. Have we really become so jaded to everything God has given us?
    That's a manmade view, not a scriptural view. A miracle is a work of wonder, not a work of magic. Jesus was the great physician, not the great magician.
    </font>[/QUOTE]John, please show me from the bible where what I say about miracles is wrong. I said nothing about magic. Also, you are falsely accusing me of being jaded just because I don't think that every thing that is wonderful is a miracle.

A miracle is a supernatural work of God - that is what it means scripturally.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

From the Int'l Standard Bible Encyclopedia:

15. hopefullyhelping

Everyday when I pray I feel a peace and serenity come over me that makes me believe that all is well and that is the miracle, that through prayer everything is possible. The season and the earth all things are the miracle of God.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It is you who made the claim that miracles are by definition supernatural. Therefore it befalls you to provide scripturla support.

No, I'm accusing you of being jaded because you require miracles to be only supernatural as a requisite.

I submit that scripture makes no such claim. Because scripture gives no succinct definition, we must rightly divide the Word to derive it. When miracles in scripture occur, the are events in which God reveals himself with remarkable vividness. He reveals himself everywhere (Rom. 1:18-21, Psm. 19), but in miracle he provides a spectacular demonstration of his presence. I have no doubt that there are times when a miracle does indeed violate natural laws, but such a violation is by no means a presrequisite for something being a miracle. Even the ISBE says "The Biblical idea of miracle as an extraordinary work of God, generally though not invariably ... transcending the ordinary powers of Nature". So right there, it does not require that the laws of nature be broken, though you yourself require it.

Again, a miracle is a work of wonder. Works of wonder need not break the laws of the universe to be works of wonder.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

John, show me where in the Bible a miracle is not a supernatural act of God?

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Actually, since the consensus is that a miracle is a supernatural act of God, which I posted above and also learned in seminary, the burden is on you to show it isn't.

Parting the Red Sea -- this was supernatural
    The plagues on Egypt -- supernatural
    Turning Aaron's rod into a serpent -- supernatural
    Jesus rebuking the sea and wind and they instantly stopped -- supernatural
    Jesus turning water into wine - supernatural
    Making the bitter water sweet at Marah in Exodus - supernatural act
    Making water come out of a rock in Ex. - supernatural

I could go on and on.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It neither bans the supernatural, nor does it require it. I never said a miracle is not a supernatural act of God. I said that a miracle need not be a supernatural act of God all the time. Supernatural or not, a miracle is an act of God. Sometimes it's supernatural, sometimes it's not.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

John, Rom. 1.18-21 does not use the term miracle. Why did you post that? You have offered zero evidence for your claim that my claim is false.