1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Misdiagnosed or a wake-up call?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Jon-Marc, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

In 2006, I was diagnosed as having Diabetes 2 and was put on pills. Last week I was told by my new doctor that I am NOT diabetic--just pre-diabetic. I can understand why I was diagnosed as being diabetic because of my excessive intake of sugar. I was constantly eating pies, cakes, cookies, ice cream or frozen yogurt, and I drank a LOT of soft drinks with sugar.

Was I really diabetic, or was it just an assumption made by a doctor who saw that my blood sugar was way too high?

Example: One time when I was in the hospital, I had a roommate whose blood sugar was 156 one day and 111 the next day. I remember those number even after several years because of a very good memory for numbers. I think that is what happened to me. That one time my blood sugar was high because of having eaten a lot of sugar, and I misdiagnosed.

However, I believe that it was a wake-up call from God telling me to cut down on my sugar intake, or else I WOULD be diabetic, because of the doctor saying I am pre-diabetic. In 2006, I gave away the sugar I had and never bought any more, and I started buying foods that were either sugar-free or that said "No sugar added." I also started using a non-sugar substitute in all of my baking.

Just over a year ago, I quit taking the diabetes meds because of not wanting to spend the money to see the doctor for more refills. I waso put on meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol, but this doctor stopped all meds except for high blood pressure, which is VERY high.

That wake-up call in 2006 probably saved me from actually becoming diabetic. I thank God that I'm NOT diabetic, but I still have to continue the diet I adopted 8 years ago in the scare of being diabetic. I am not afraid of dying since I am safely in Christ, but I would prefer not to lose body parts because of amputation caused by diabetes.

God knew (as He knows ALL things) that I WOULD become diabetic if I continued my eating habits I had at that time, because I had inherited my dad's pre-diabetes. :godisgood:

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is absolutely possible to reverse type 2 diabetes in many patients. If you changed your lifestyle and diet, you could have created a situation in your body where you can now manage the smaller amount of sugar in your system. It was the larger amounts that were the problem. I have a number of friends who were diagnosed, were prescribed meds but through diet and exercise were able to get off of all medication.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I've had people tell me it's possible to reverse Diabetes 2 by changing one's eating habits, which I did in 2006. While I will have to continue the diet I've adopted, I no longer have to take medication for it.

I do need prayer for my extremely high blood pressure. I was told I was close to having a heart attack or stroke, and I'm now on three different meds for high blood pressure. I don't put salt in or on anything I eat, but a lot of things you buy are full of added salt. The only way to eliminate all that salt (which increases blood pressure) is to eliminate a lot of what I now eat. Nearly eliminating sugar from my diet was hard enough, but I'm not ready to eliminate much of what I'm still eating in order to eliminate the salt that is added to canned foods and other prepared foods I buy. I try to buy canned foods that say "No salt added", but that doesn't seem to have done any good.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you use canned vegetables, rinse them well and use fresh water to cook them with. You can also supplement canned soup with fresh vegetables and homemade stock to decrease the sodium per serving.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Yes, I buy canned veges--what few veges I even like. I never thought about washing them. Of course, I buy the ones that say "No salt added", when I can find them. It seems that those who make these canned foods don't think about people with diabetes, high cholesterol, or high blood pressure. With my blood pressure so high, I've got to be as careful with buying things with sale in them as I've been with things with sugar in them. Getting old is not fun. :sleeping_2:

7. Archie the Preacher

Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc; I too have diabetes II and high blood pressure. According to the doctor it is primarily from being over weight and sedentary. (The weight comes from being sedentary, for that matter.)

May I presume you are also - ahem - 'prosperous' - especially around the middle?

Drink lots of water. Lots. The water 'flushing' your system will help wash out (for lack of the medical term) salt from the body tissues. (Which is why sweat is salty.)

'Move' around more. Even if you can't exercise in the normal manner, get up and walk as much as you can. Go up and down stairs. Stuff like that. (My favorite is jumping to conclusions, but it doesn't do much good.)

By the way, I'm winning. I've lost weight and blood sugar is easier to control. I may get off the pills as well. Losing weight also cuts down on blood pressure.

One last thing. In my experience, God does indeed send 'wake up' calls. In several different aspects of life. (Sometimes He pulls tails and rattles cages, as well.)

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Things change. Diabetes changes.

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

We've had a very warm "winter"--mostly in the 60's and 70's. When it's warm enough and not too windy, I walk about three miles--or for about an hour or slightly over. Because of arthritis and bursitis, I can't do any exercise that requires lifting, pushing, or pulling, although I do enjoy lifting a fork or spoon to my mouth. :laugh:

Someone told me that the definition of middle age is when (I was told in school not to use "is when" or "is where") you stop growing on both ends and start growing in the middle. I passed middle age a long time ago, although I consider myself to be in late middle age and plan on staying there for a while. My fingers get a lot exercise doing this :type:.

10. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears that you are on the right kind of path and are reaping some of the benefits for doing so. Keep up the good work Jon-Mark!

My advice is to keep looking for some exercises that you can do and make and commit to a regular routine of doing them. You might be surprised what you can come up with and also at these benefits for doing so. :thumbsup:

11. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is a growing belief amongst some folk that sugar is addictive (duh!) , and should be taxed as in tobacco and alcohol.....great:smilewinkgrin:.

Personally, I tend to agree, but not in the revenue raising aspect. Of course, with the huge junk food industry having so much at stake, there must be a huge lobby group.

Good luck Jon-Marc with your dietary revision....any change is very HARD. I have battled weight and eating disorders all my life mostly as a rearguard action. I am finding I have started ENJOYING exercise....a year or so ago I would have thought this a LIE on a grand scale, however, I am walking and plunging my quivering flesh into the local pool and enjoying splashing about in aqua aerobics.

Diabetes aint fun....your arteries become more cement like, your risk of heart problems increases, neuropathies are increased as in you become more at risk to lower limb complications of poor circulation and in the extreme case losing a leg or 2. Most folk in the West are in a higher risk category because of weight issues whereas in the past , certain ethnic groups were deemed more at risk...

Having nursed for a very long time, I have ABSOLUTELY no desire to spend my last years in some ghastly nursing home dependent on my cares being performed by ill trained, poorly paid and poor staffing ratios which will impact upon the quality of life.