1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Missed loved ones and regrets

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ajg1959, Oct 9, 2008.

1. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Today, October 9th, is my daddy's birthday.

He died in 1993 at a young age of cancer. I was a complete dissapointment to him when he died, and I wish he could have lived long enough to see me turn to God, and how God has turned my life around. But he didnt.

He died when I was at my worst.

I miss my daddy, and I love him very much.

2. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm so sorry you lost your dad at such a young age. May the Lord shower wonderful blessings on you today, on this most special day, your dad's birthday. God bless you for honoring him by sharing this with us.

I share your pain, ajg. Next month would've been my dad's birthday but he passed away of cancer last year. My dad's love for the Lord had -- still has, great influence over me. I love and miss him very, very much. He would've turned 70 on November 25th ...

#2 PJ, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  3. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Thank you so much. My dad would have been 73 today. He knew my two older (grown) kids well before he died, but I would have loved for him to have known his 3 year old grandson that he has now. (and 2 two great grandkids, come to think of it).

AJ

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I can truly understand. My dad's would have been 78 next week. He died of cancer far too young in 1996.

I praise God that I saw him saved and growing in Christ before he went home. I wish he could have seen my grandchildren.

I miss my dad all the time, to the point of tears at times.

I can weep for and with you.

#4 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 9, 2008
  5. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Thank you Roger, I am a 6'3" 280 lb welder/steelworker, but I have been in tears since 4 am this morning. I dont know why this year is more tramatic to me than the previous years on his birthday, but it is. My wife thinks its because of our 3 year old son that my daddy never got to meet. I think it is because I have grown to understand the mistakes that I made and the dissappointment that I caused my daddy.

It is probably both, But I wish to goodness that my daddy could see my life now, and meet his grandson.

I assumed that I would die long before my parents, and that I had plenty of time to make things right with them. I was wrong, and every day I pay for being wrong.

AJ

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

My heart truly breaks for you my brother. I feel so fortunate that I was saved before my dad, that I saw him saved, and that he saw all of our children born. He even got to visit us a couple of times in Ireland before he died.

I can only understand part of what you are going through, but I do ache for you today. Was just thinking this morning about my dad's birthday next Thursday.

Just prayed for the Holy Spirit's comfort for you on this challenging day.

7. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here. Dad's are very special. Happy almost birthday to all three of our dads. But they get to spend their birthdays with the great I AM now. Hallelujah to the Lamb!

I am very fortunate to still have my mom. She and dad were married just shy of 50 years before his passing. Hubby and I aspire to the wonderful marriages of both our sets of parents.

Praying a special prayer of comfort for each of your families, as well as mine, right now ...

#7 PJ, Oct 9, 2008
  8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Amen. My dad was not saved till late, and a his parenting of us as childfen was as a lost man - but still, a lot of the man I am today was because of him.

The Old Man
    (Phil Coulter)

The tears have all been shed now
    We've said our last good-byes
    His soul's been blessed
    He's laid to rest
    And it's now I feel alone
    He was more than just a father
    A teacher, my best friend
    He can still be heard
    In the tunes we shared
    When we play them on our own

I never will forget him
    For he made me what I am
    Though he may be gone
    Memories linger on
    And I miss him, the old man

As a boy, he'd take me walking
    By mountain field and stream
    And he showed me things
    Not known to kings
    And secret between him and me
    Like the colors of the pheasant
    As he rises in the dawn
    And how to fish and make a wish
    Beside the holly tree

I never will forget him
    For he made me what I am
    Though he may be gone
    Memories linger on

I thought he'd live forever
    He seemed so big and strong
    But the minutes fly
    And the years roll by
    For a father and a son
    And suddenly, when it happened
    There was so much left unsaid
    No second chance
    To tell him thanks
    For everything he's done

I never will forget him
    For he made me what I am
    Though he may be gone
    Memories linger on

9. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Has anyone ever asked you "if you could do it all over again, then what you change?"

I know now, with everything that is within me, that I would show my mom and dad more love, and that I would spend much more time with them, and not take them for granted.

I am very upset today....I just hope that when my mom and dad passed away that they knew that I loved them. The Lord knows that there were many times when I didnt show that love, and even took it for granted.

I just feel miserable right now. I let them down, and made them embarrassed to be my parents, and they didnt deserve that.

I wish, with all of my being, that God would have taken me, and left them.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

HERE - is a nice rendition of the song above.

You have been on my heart for a couple of hours AJ. Praying for comfort and God's peace for you.

11. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Awe, I'm sorry your having such a dark day, ajg. But really, we've all made mistakes; we'll all continue to make mistakes. You're changed now -- that's what's important. It's just too bad they're not here now to celebrate the new you.

God's timing is not ours, and for the sake of your loving parents, PTL that He didn't take you before them. As a parent, I can only imagine how horrible that would be. :tear:

No regrets, my friend. Life is all about learning. 24/7/365

#11 PJ, Oct 9, 2008
  12. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Thank you PJ

A little while ago my 3 year old came and laid down beside me. He knew that I am usually working and that something must be wrong.

He said "Daddy, why are you so sad?"

I said "Because I miss your grandpa"

He put his head on my shoulder, and patted my chest, and said "yeah Daddy. I miss him too"

Every time I look at him I know that God left me here for a reason, if nothing else but for him.

Thank God for the innocent wisdom of little children when we need it the most.

AJ

13. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen and AMEN, brother! That innocent little boy of yours is so pure, so precious. Thank goodness GOD is in control! If he left things up to me, I'd make a real mess of things! :laugh: