1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Missing National Anthem?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Dr. Bob, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watching the NHL All Star Game. Good, sane introductions and spirit among the players.

But no Canadian or USA national anthem? Probably DID have it, but ABC did not broadcast it.

Real patriotism with our nations involved in a way, eh? Sad.

2. mark brandwein

mark brandwein New Member

I agree, all stations showing professional sporting events should have the National Anthem played before the game starts. [​IMG]

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I wouldn't read too much into that, Bob.

There could be a thousand reasons they didn't show it. If you've ever been to an NHL game, then you know that TV commercials have a big impact on the flow on the game.

I've lost interest in NASCAR, since every driver I've ever rooted for died (Davey and Clifford Alison, Neil Bonnett, J.D. McDuffie, Grant Adcox, Adam Petty) or is retired (Bobby Alison, Red Farmer, Darrell Waltrip, David Pearson, Phil Parsons) but I like the way they do it. Both the anthem and the invocation (invocation??) are a big part of the festivities.

At Flyers' games, they don't sing the national anthem, but "God Bless America" but that's another story.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I just LOVE "O Canada". One of the most inspiring combination of lyrics/melody of this era.

(BTW, composer of "O Canada" wrote operettas if you want to go to the Music Forum and contribute)

Glad to see "America the Beautiful" or "God Bless America" replacing the SSB at ball games (and everywhere)

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree, I love to hear both of the anthems (which CBC does not normally broadcast), but they did this time. Usually to hear the anthem I have to listen to it on the radio. The TV is taken up with too much commercial time.
    But on Saturday night for the Young Stars game (I didn't see the one today), both anthems were played by a girl's choir that gave a beautiful rendition of both.
    DHK

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still no response from ABC-ESPN, but guess I don't really expect it.