1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mission Trip or Mission Tourism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jul 5, 2008.

1. ANewCreature

ANewCreature New Member

I've got to remember that quote; aw, why not, might as well just copy and paste it. Great illustration for a message. :thumbs:

Sounds like the way our young people are encouraged to approach camp, too. Our church doesn't allow any of those cell phones or other outside stuff when the kids go. Too many distractions int he world.

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

A church teen group just went to DC last week and toured many of our government buildings and historic sites. The pastor "sold" it to the congregation as a "mission trip" making all who went "missionaries all becuase they were going to attend a church service giving that church a "lesson" in soulwinning. They also had an open air meeting next to that church the next day calling it a VBS day.

Whta's sad is they spent more time sightseeing than anything other than din ig out!:tear:

If this is the impression of what it's like to be a missionary, SIGN ME UP!

NOT!:godisgood:

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Man! You have sure hit a sore subject with me. Always afraid I'm playing the "Judas card," I still cannot see the money spent in "mission trips" by laymen as accomplishing anything for the gospel.

My sister and hubby went to Italy. Do they get a "charitable deduction" on their 1040 for this?? What is going on with these "exchanges?" It's just another "exotic vacation" isn't it?

My nephew is going to Seattle while Baptist teens are coming to Longview to fix up poor peoples' homes!! Last year it was other nephews going to Anchorage!

Know what I think? I think the SBC doesn't give us enough direct contact and interaction with our missionaries and we lose the "involvement" that we ought to have as with Paul. I feel very comfortable with my "calling" to pray for and fund trained missionaries who will train indigenous ministers to multiply the kingdom. But I DO love my interaction with their challenges and victories. It seems that the SBC is trying to rewrite the novel The Ugly American [read: Christian] by sending our "tourists" over to do the work of those who are called to that service.

skypair

#23 skypair, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I may have to give up being a Pastor. I sure would like to go back to Germany or Ireland.

BBob,

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

You and I are a lot more alike than we know, eh?

skypair

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You got the plane, I got the time........:) We probably be fighting by the time we got back though...........;)

BBob,

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You don't have to give up being a pastor to go to Ireland :).

BTW, do be in prayer. There is legislation being considered here. It is apparently a rereading of an old law. It would limit all foreign missionaries and volunteer workers to three years in the country. We have some things that make this inapplicable to us, but the vast majority of missionaries may very well be forced out of the country.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Schenger Agreement is making it hard on many people, some missionaries included.

9. PeterM

PeterM Member

Most of the mission trips that our fellowship participates in usually involves partnering with existing pastors and churches. Very often, the goal's of the missionary do not flow well with what a short term team can provide. In fact, short term teams can do more harm than good in certain situations.

Supporting missionaries is part of our strategy, so is partnering with existing churches. We try to look for what will benefit a given situation most and plug in where we can. That said, I try to give church members every opportunity to get in on what our great God is doing globally!

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I have to agree with you brother. I might be just getting to old, but I've have always felt that I give so missionaries can teach and train indigenous ministers in the country they are in to multiply the kingdom.

We seem to have less kids or parents into helping the poor here or getting the Gospel out in town than in going to some place far off.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My impression is that most of the current SBC leaders have a very hard time with the idea of training indigenous people to minister. Why? Because then the indigenous churches do not develop into carbon-copies of American SBC churches.

An example: a Lebanonese pastor told me a young SBC missionary told him that he was not Baptist. Strange in that he was saved in a Baptist church, studied and studies and teaches in a Baptist seminary, pastors a Baptist church ... but because he did not agree with all the current American SBC jots and tiddles this young missionary would not accept him. By saying he is not a Baptist the implication also was he is not a Christian.

12. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

This isn't new, it was true back in the 50's. Many schools and many boards were to the left of the page and if you weren't with them, it could cause problems. Wasn't it W. A. Criswell book about the Bible that caused so much a problem in SBC schools and churches, he believed in the verbally, inspired, eternal, inerrant Word of God. I agreed with his book, because that is what I believe. The first real challenge I had on my trust in God was in college and seminary, had some professors way off to the left. Some weren't even sure Jesus Christ arose after His death.

Today as well as yesterday, most of us only want to back folks we agree with their doctrine, how many works do we back with our time and money that we disagree with their doctrine, as for me, none.