1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Missions in China?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Dr. Bob, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone been there doing "mission" work? We are looking at taking a youth group (11th grade-college) to China for 3 weeks in 2004.

2 weeks of teaching English to Chinese students, personal witnessing, et al, + 1 week as joe tourist (walking the Great Wall, Ming Tombs, Forbidden City)

Looking at $1600 from Ohare. What an experience! I've been in Hong Kong and Beijing and love the sites/culture. But to be able to impact the SOULS of these people is a burden.

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm planning to be there in the not so distant future.
    What type of mission work you talkin' about? [​IMG]
    Are you meeting anyone in particular when you get there? What part of China?
    Gina

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Never been there, although there are a number of Australian missionaries throughout Asia. I have thought about going into Asia on a Habitat for Humanity project though. They are doing alot in Cambodia at present.

Its amazing to think that in churches in China they often do not even have one Bible.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Never been there. Not sure what capacity I would go in the future. I wonder i there is any kind of children's work in the future.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

I've been there multiple times and will be going again in a business capacity.

As far the need for children's ministries, I could tell you the stories of talking to 11-12 year old prostitutes who travel hundreds of miles from the mountains (and other inland areas) to coastal cities to earn funds to send back home. Or about the professional beggar families that are so aggressive that they train their children to risk life and limb in the street to gain sympathy for their racket.

The culture in some of these cities are like what I've read about some of the boomtowns in the Wild West era U.S. Anything can be had for a very low price...especially the innocence of the young.

I would caution anyone who does go to for the purpose of evangelism to make sure to leave Western practices behind. If you are too open about your faith behind that particular curtain you will only risk deportation. But if you involve native Christians in your openness, you will expose them to far greater damage once you have returned home.

6. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

I know of a missionary family in China, if that's what you're looking for. A church in Wisconsin, that I had gone to some years ago, supported them, and they are graduates of Northland Baptist Bible College. I can't recall the mission board they went under, but their names are [names deleted for security concerns].

[ August 07, 2003, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

7. Molly

Molly New Member

We are not planning a mission trip,but we are praying about adopting a baby girl from China. My husband would probably go,since we have 3 daughters here and one is baby and would be only about 2 when it is time to go get her.

This is missions in a sense...going to get a child,make her part of our family,share Christ with her and give her the gospel,which she would never have an oppurtunity to know about otherwise.

I think it sound like a wonderful mission trip,Dr. Bob. I know there are many hurting women there because of the strict one child policy and boy preferences....many women are hurting from having to give up their daughters. I think it would be a great oppurtunity to share God's love.

Molly [​IMG]