1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mistake in 1 Timothy 3:16 thread..sorry

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by kman, Jun 5, 2003.

1. kman

kman New Member

Brethren:

My Greek is rusty..I made a mistake in the
    1 Timothy thread (thanks for pointing it
    out AskJo).

Basically there are 2 readings other than
    God (Theos). One is "0C" which is a masculine relative pronoun which means "who" or can be translated "he who".

The other is "O" which is a neuter relative pronoun which means "which". There
    isn't a MSS with just "he" in it.

I've updated my first post below. Sorry for
    any confusion.

==========================================

The early Greek manuscripts were written in Uncial script (which just means capital Greek letters all running together).

The difference in the reading "God" and "Who/He Who" is actually a 2 small lines:

OC == Who (or He Who)

--
    0C == God (also need a horizontal line through the 0)

Could be somebody accidently left out the lines. Could be somebody added them thinking somebody else left them out.etc etc...

Metzger says:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thus no uncial (in the first hand) earlier than the eight or ninth century (psi) support "God";
    all ancient versions presuppose "os"(who) or "o"(which); and no patristic writer prior to the last third of the fourth century testifies to the reading "God". The reading "God" arose either
    a) accidently, through the misreading of OC as
    --
    OC (w/ line through the 0)

b) deliberately, either ot supply a substantive for the following 6 verbs, or, with less probability, to provide greater dogmatic precision.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Thank-you, kman, for your honesty and humility.
    [​IMG]
    Neal