1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mitt Romney's five biggest liabilities as GOP nominee

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's right. Romney has several liabilities...but he has one really huge asset...

He's not Obama. And that's why he's got my vote.:thumbs:

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I thought the following would fit well into what is being said here.
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/devotions/audio/d_000627_1.mp3

by Charles H. Spurgeon
    Morning Devotion

Wednesday, June 27, 2012
    "Only ye shall not go very far away." {#Ex 8:28}
    This is a crafty word from the lip of the archtyrant Pharaoh. If the poor bondaged Israelites must needs go out of Egypt, then he bargains with them that it shall not be very far away; not too far for them to escape the terror of his arms, and the observation of his spies. After the same fashion, the world loves not the nonconformity of nonconformity, or the dissidence of dissent; it would have us be more charitable and not carry matters with too severe a hand. Death to the world, and burial with Christ, are experiences which carnal minds treat with ridicule, and hence the ordinance which sets them forth is almost universally neglected, and even contemned. Worldly wisdom recommends the path of compromise, and talks of "moderation." According to this carnal policy, purity is admitted to be very desirable, but we are warned against being too precise; truth is of course to be followed, but error is not to be severely denounced. "Yes", says the world, "be spiritually minded by all means, but do not deny yourself a little gay society, an occasional ball, and a Christmas visit to a theatre. What's the good of crying down a thing when it is so fashionable, and everybody does it?" Multitudes of professors yield to this cunning advice, to their own eternal ruin. If we would follow the Lord wholly, we must go right away into the wilderness of separation, and leave the Egypt of the carnal world behind us. We must leave its maxims, its pleasures, and its religion too, and go far away to the place where the Lord calls his sanctified ones. When the town is on fire, our house cannot be too far from the flames. When the plague is abroad, a man cannot be too far from its haunts. The further from a viper the better, and the further from worldly conformity the better. To all true believers let the trumpet call be sounded, "Come ye out from among them, be ye separate."

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't see how this applies to voting for Romney. Anyway, I'm not moving to the wilderness of Idaho with my sacks of rice and water purifier tablets any day soon.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I sure see how it applies.:laugh:

5. mandym

mandym New Member

So how do you see Romney's Mormonism effecting the country?

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I see Romney's Mormonism affecting the Christian witness of those who back him.

Someone else has already tried to say that it's okay for Christians to back him because of the Constitution's freedom of religion clause. :laugh: and that the only moral actions that should impede Christians from voting for a candidate are those actions that may be legislated upon. [​IMG]

If Christians back a man who worships a false god, what grounds do they have to speak against candidates who lie, cheat, steal, who are pro-abortion, pro-same-sex marriage, pro-stripper club down the street from the school, pro-bigoted, pro-adultery, etc,.?

Once Christians start to pick and choose what sins are "acceptable or tolerable" in a candidate, they are left with no witness for Christ.

So Romney's Mormonism will adversely affect the country and the world if Christians decide to back him with no regards that it shows support for someone who doesn't follow Christ.

And tacit approval is still seen as approval by the world.

Our jobs as Christians is to preach the Gospel so that Christ is glorified and the unsaved may be brought into the Kingdom of God. So why cut our noses off to spite our faces by showing the world that even though we say Jesus Christ is paramount, it's okay to back a man who rejects Him if it means getting another man we don't like out of office?

So it indeed affects the eternity of people in this country and the world.

7. mandym

mandym New Member

So it is your position that any Presidential candidate must be a perfect Christian?

So it is your position that Christians should only ever vote for Christians for President?

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It is my position that if we're going to maintain a Christian witness, the candidate we back should at least BE a Christian. As a Mormon, Romney doesn't qualify. And by action I don't think too many folks feel like the man currently in the White House qualifies.

And this point should outweigh all other issues. It just looks awful. 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. Matthew 22:37-38

Yet how do we so quickly dismiss this Greatest Commandment and throw our considerable support behind a candidate who does NOT do this?

What do Mormons believe?
    The Mormon church uses two sources as its primary authorities: the Book of Mormon and the Bible. The Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price are also viewed as divinely authoritative.

The Mormon church sees God as the Supreme Being of the universe. However, He gradually acquired that position over a long period of time by living a perfect and righteous life.

The Mormon church teaches that humans exist as spirit beings before their birth. At physical birth, bodies are given to these spirits. They are also given an opportunity for free-will choice. The physical world represents a period of probation. The status of a person in the afterlife is determined by the way that person lived his/her life on Earth. If the person lived by a satisfactory standard, (including the fulfillment of Mormon temple obligations) that person has the potential to become a god in the after-life. The person can also produce "spirit children" to populate a world of his own (like God did with the earth).

The Mormon church views Jesus and Satan as spirit brothers and sons of God. God put forth His plan of salvation for the world, and Satan proposed his own plan. Jesus accepted the Father's plan and offered to implement it as the Savior. The Father chose Jesus, and the spirit of Jesus was given a body through the virgin Mary. He was crucified on a Roman cross, and rose from the dead three days later to establish His deity. The character and life of Jesus is attainable by anyone who performs at such a righteous level.

The Mormon church holds that Jesus Christ overcame physical death and guaranteed physical resurrection to all mankind. However, spiritual death can only be avoided through personal obedience of God's commandments. Forgiveness of sins requires faith, repentance and baptism by an approved Mormon priest. The practice of baptism for the dead is an extension of this belief, in which Mormons are baptized in proxy for those who have died without proper baptism.

How are we left with a right Christian witness if we seemingly dismiss God's greatest commandment and support someone who worships a false god? It's as though we're saying we love God with everything, but when it comes to the need for political expediency, we can support a man who rejects the One we say we love more than anything.

It presents an AWFUL view of the Church.

My position is that of God's word in that Christians should acknowledge, honor and glorify Christ in all their ways. And Christ simply is not being acknowledged, honored and glorified nor bring loved with everything we are when we give tacit approval of that which is against Him.

This man's worship of a false god should get the same response from the Body of Christ that would be given if they were asked to support a candidate leading an openly gay lifestyle.

Romney is leading an openly, worship a false god lifestyle but we can get onboard with THAT and not a candidate who is openly gay?

[​IMG] Even so Come Lord Jesus for that which you left to salt is compromising and being salted on an international level. And when the CHURCH as a whole is moving toward this type of heresy, it's time for Jesus Christ to get us on out of the way before we can do too much damage.

9. mandym

mandym New Member

Where does scripture say only vote for Christians for office? Where does it say that our Christian witness is lost if we vote for someone who is not a Christian?

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Where did I say that Scripture only says vote for a Christian?

As I've said before, people are going to justify voting for this man who rejects Christ because their political desires outweigh their eternal desires.

How is your Christian witness enhanced by supporting that which is against Christ?

My initial point is that for decades baptists and other evangelicals have taken a stance against supporting candidates who are pro-abortion or pro-same-sex anything.

But the commandment that God says is the greatest, and the one we cannot say we are keeping by supporting that which is against Him, is quickly thrown out the window as inconsequential because we want Obama out of office.

All that says to the world is that Christians are a bunch of talk. Talk that says they are all in for this God they say saves unless, like an unsaved person, something comes up that makes them feel like they can ignore that Greatest Commandment because something else is more important.

When the Body of Christ has become more concerned about this world and its politic than it is concerned about God's eternal Kingdom, then it's time for Jesus Christ to get us on out of the way and usher in 144,000 who are gonna concern themselves with keeping Him first.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The witness of compromise.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And unfortunately, that's the picture we're presenting. It leaves us looking no different than the Progressive who doesn't believe in absolute truth or that liberal who wants to twist and rewrite Scripture to justify doing whatever.

13. mandym

mandym New Member

Well I assumed that since you took such a strong stand and are quite black and white that your decision was based on scripture. I was assuming the best about your position.

I do not believe that you know the motivation of everyone who votes for him.

Your use of the word "that" misrepresents the issue.

Everyone in our communities who are not Christians are against God. Should we disengage ourselves from all the world? Should we not allow our children to be taught by teachers who are not Christians? Should we not go to places of business that are not owned and worked by Christians? Your position is not realistic and only works to suggest that Christians shoujd withdraw from the world and go hide in caves.

I have never heard anyone say anything like this.

The "world" does not think like this.

This is an assumption of motives you cannot know and quite judgmental. It is folks like yourself that give fundamentalism a bad name. You run close to looking like Phelps and his ilk. Next you will be out protesting funerals of soldiers.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
    Pro. 3:5-6

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.Matthew 6:33

“Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the LORD? Therefore the wrath of the LORD is upon you.2 Chronicles 19:2

Where in God's word do you find Him advocating that Christians support that which is against Him?

I know the motivation of everyone who calls himself a Christian and is going to vote for him: IDOLATRY

Some may call it choosing between the lesser of two evils. Some may call it saving the country.

But in a nutshell it amounts to folks feeling as though their sacrifice is greater than obedience to God. Their sacrifice to unseat Obama at ALL costs, even their witness for Christ, outweighs their obedience to Christ.

It represents the issue quite well.

Who said that? Does Scripture say to do that?

If the teachers are teaching them things contrary to what God's word says? You're darn skippy you shouldn't allow them to be taught by such non-Christians.

You go where you want as you will vote how you want. But any Christian who supports this man who worships a false god needs to shut up trying to say anything to anyone ever again about any issue of morality based in God's word.

The position is realistic for those whose political needs in this world don't outweigh their devotion to Christ.

Perhaps you haven't been listening.

The world talks just like this. they think Christians are a bunch of hypocrites and any Christian voting for this man who lives an open lifestyle against Jesus Christ does nothing but confirm the hypocrisy.

I'm called by God to righteously judge ALL things.15 The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, 1 Cor. 2:15

Do tell what the motive is for Christians voting for a man who worships a false god?

Yes me calling Christians to honor Christ before all things is giving fundamentalism a bad name. (smh) I could care less about fundamentalism. I'm called first and foremost to be pleasing to Jesus Christ. Perhaps fundamentalism needs to remember that.

15. mandym

mandym New Member

Uh huh this says more about you than it does anyone else.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Complete garbage.

17. mandym

mandym New Member

yep.................

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So we will have 2 non Christians running for president. Which one will you vote for?

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Why would I vote for either? If we had two pro-abortion candidates running, I wouldn't vote for either. I'd write someone else in.:laugh:

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Of course it's complete garbage to those given to compromise.:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.