1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mixed-Racial Marriages

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Chet, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two things to clarify:

~1~ There is only one race of mankind. It is called the human race. Ungodly evolution introduced the concept of "races". This is NOT a Bible teaching.

God has made "of all nations (ethnics) one blood". I am opposed to "interracial marriages", that is between a human and a monkey!

~2~ God did NOT divide humanity on racial grounds. Read Genesis. It was by language groups.

And may I interject a question to you diehard racial supremicists - what race was Noah? His three sons (Shem, Japheth, Ham) were progenitors of ethnic groups - what evolutionists called "races" - and they all came from the same genetic parent. Hmmm.

I am a son of Adam, just as is every man, woman and child of the 6.2 billion alive on planet earth. We are all human. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"If you prick me, will I not bleed?"
    Shylock, Merchant of Venice<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Dr. Griffin, I must say that I agree with you 100% after thinking about the real reason God seperated the races. I am not a racist. I may be a skin-head but not my choice, God decided my hair should go at about 30. But, I don't believe in their ways.

Just out of curiousity do you disagree with my statement that the people getting married should at least discuss the issue of "outside" prejudice to themselves and their children--especially based on small town prejudice that often does not occur in a large city like Houston? I am not saying it is wrong, it should just be a consideration before a life-long commitment is made, just as money and education and compatability is.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phillip - You make an excellent point. Godly counsel is needed, for the effect of a "mixed marriage" between ethnic groups is, of course, the children. THEY will have to bear the burden.

My sweet school-teacher Grandma Milena Prochaska from Prague, Nebraska, went against her parents and society's wishes and married a lousy mostly-drunken Irishman. He abandoned her when things got tough and left my dad and 6 other kids in abject poverty.

Children pay the price of a bad marriage.

And I am the LAST person that will not look at a white woman and black man and not conjur up all kinds of prejudice. That is a battle I fight. But when I see the children of these relationships, my heart goes out to them, for they will be the object of far greater prejudice.

When I counseled a sweet Iowa farm girl and her Chinese/Vietnamese boyfriend about marriage, I spoke openly about such prejudice. I advised them to live in a big city with various ethnicities (like Los Angeles or such) where their children would not be hurt by the prejudice and just thoughtless comments (even in Baptist churches).

They sent me a pix of their little girls recently and are in full-time ministry in the Dallas area.

There IS a price to pay.

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Dr. Griffin, Thank you very much for your excellent reply. I have seen the pain of the children first hand and it is difficult for people in large cities to understand how prejudice some areas of the country still are. We actually had a town about 15 miles away that had 2000 people and a sign that said if you were black to be out of town by sunset. This sign was up until the late sixties. NO JOKE. Now, THIS is prejudice and it didn't go away just because the sign was removed.
    Well, I'm off to read my Bible before bed. Have a good evening all and may God Bless you!

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

"When I counseled a sweet Iowa farm girl and her Chinese/Vietnamese boyfriend about marriage, I spoke openly about such prejudice. I advised them to live in a big city with various ethnicities (like Los Angeles or such) where their children would not be hurt by the prejudice and just thoughtless comments (even in Baptist churches)."
    (Posted by Dr. Bob)

You were probably correct in your counsel, but the (even in Baptist churches) had me laughing, not in a good way. Sadly enough, I've found this seems to be exactly where the prejudice is the worst. :mad:
    Whoa, I said I wouldn't post on this subject..stopping now...

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phillip:
    We actually had a town about 15 miles away that had 2000 people and a sign that said if you were black to be out of town by sunset. This sign was up until the late sixties. NO JOKE. Now, THIS is prejudice and it didn't go away just because the sign was removed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I went to an ifb college in a small town in Southern Minnesota. By law, no black person could spend the night within the city limits! The motels were built out by the new interstate, out of city limits.

Our college did not have a black student, and any "coloreds" had to be proven to be foreign students from Brazil, Caribbean, Africa. Sad. :mad:

Old prejudices die hard. The city now has 10% Somalian immigrants who will not learn English and most live on food stamps. Heard that some of the City Fathers were wishing for the "good old days" of the 60's.

BTW, about 20 miles east of Owatonna is an old ruins of a "station" on the underground railroad, a safe haven for escaping Negroes on their flight toward freedom in Canada duing the American Civil War.

7. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:
    Two things to clarify:

~1~ There is only one race of mankind. It is called the human race. Ungodly evolution introduced the concept of "races". This is NOT a Bible teaching.

God has made "of all nations (ethnics) one blood". I am opposed to "interracial marriages", that is between a human and a monkey!

~2~ God did NOT divide humanity on racial grounds. Read Genesis. It was by language groups.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Dr. Bob. The Bible knows nothing of multiple races. There is only the race of man. Within that there are many ethnos - people groups of varying physical and linguistic characteristics.

And God is forming ONE people for himself - "from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth."Rev. 5:9b-10 (ESV)

8. Chet

Chet New Member

Thanks to everyone who gave their thoughts on this matter. I do have a couple of
    comments in regard to what I read.

Smoke_Eater said: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm very proud of my American heritage, thank
    you very much, and I'm also proud of my Irish ancestry.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I don’t think you understood my comment. We shouldn’t be proud of anything. What did you do to be an American? Do you have a real choice in that? Praise God that I am an American, and I am not ashamed of that, but I am not proud of it. Do a word study on the word pride and you will find it is not a good thing.

Houstonian said: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I actually find it frightening that no one has
    exploded about Chet's and Phillip's posts... Hello??? Are we so nice that we can't call a
    spade a spade? This is racist stuff we are getting here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hustonian, thank you very much for reading into my post. I can see how well you can read my words that said I am not a prejudice person :mad:! I am not a raciest, but I do see the wonderful beauty in what God has made. Differences in peoples skin, speech, and difference in the way they live ect...

Dr. Bob Griffin made some extremely big points!! Evolution is the cause of the great prejudice that we face especially in America, where it is taught the most. The biggest reason Hitler wanted to kill the Jews was because he thought they were inferior, not yet evolved. Evolution is to blame for the reason groups like the KKK and all those who hate other races. Be it known that racism is not just found only within white people, it is found in every color. This line of thinking is straight out of the pits of Hell. God created all peoples, and all peoples are equal. (Abraham Lincoln coined that.)

Dr. Bob, the Bible does use the word Race:

Ezra 9
    After these things had been done, the leaders came to me and said, "The people of Israel, including the priests and the Levites, have not kept themselves separate from the neighboring peoples with their detestable practices, like those of the Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Jebusites, Ammonites, Moabites, Egyptians and Amorites.
    They have taken some of their daughters as wives for themselves and their sons, and have mingled the holy race with the peoples around them. And the leaders and officials have led the way in this unfaithfulness."
    NIV

Rom 9:3
    For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my
    brothers, those of my own race,
    NIV

You made the comment that God did not divide people by their racial grounds. Let me ask you if I may. From a pure logical observance isn’t it clear that is exactly what He also did? There are vast differences in not only language around the world, but also lifestyle, culture, and color. God must have had His reasons for such a dramatic difference. Again I will say this is a difference, to clarify that I am not racist. I love all peoples and want all peoples to have salvation.

I also agree with the bigger picture you have painted. We are all human and we are not better or worse than anyone, which is another reason to not be proud. Humble not proud. We are all descendants of Adam, who was unknown in his color. I have people ask me all the time where Black people come from. My answer to them is, where did White people come from? Who knows what color Adam was.

In my final comments to everyone, PLEASE do not misunderstand my thoughts! I wanted
    strictly Biblical insights, and have gotten some. Let me say that just because we live in a society where mixed is clearly evident does not make it right. Majority/Minority of
    opinion makes nothing right or wrong. Scripture is our final authority on all matters, including this one. Emotional ties or a feeling that it is all right neither makes something right or wrong, only Scripture does. That includes both sides of any opinion. Solomon had 1000 women, yet was said to be the wisest man. What he did was wrong yet that is what God said about him. Jesus was a descendent of mixed peoples, which the Law of Moses condemned. Yet God can use this anyway! If a mixed marriage does occur, and the result includes Children, God loves that child as much as any child.

Anyway I hope this does continue as I am enjoying everyone’s feedback. (except for
    those who called me racist!)

Also would enjoy anyones take on Acts 17:26

With great love,

Chet

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Chet ]

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point of order for Chet - Just because one translation uses the English word "race" does not mean that the Bible uses it.

It does not appear in the Hebrew or Greek and is a poor English choice of words for the Greek "sarx" or flesh (humanity).

Also, I did some research in grad work on dominant and recessive genes as they work in the DNA to form the modern varieties of "ethnic" appearances. But claim no expertise.

I have a grandson whose mother is 1/2 hispanic and 1/2 Cree Indian. The dad is Irish-German-Welsh-Bohunk blend. According to MY calculations, Noah should be brown-eyed and black hair.

He is a blue-eyed blonde and I've given up on my genetic calculations!

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Chet,

I'm well aware of what the word "pride" means. I'm also aware that it has several different uses.

As for being born an American, I did nothing more to deserve it than simply hitting the birth lottery but that doesn't mean that I can't recognize and appreciate the accomplishments of my countrymen or the ideals that my country represents.

Proud to be an American,

Mike

11. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

No one has pointed out yet that the way the NT portrays the structure of the church, is that you see a local group of loving people who otherwise have no reason to get along. Gentiles, Jews, Romans, Greeks, Ethiopians, Slaves, Freemen, Rich and Poor -- all get together, love each other, have all things in common. How is this possible? They are in Christ. The church is designed to be a model of social/ethnic diversity all getting together under the banner of Christ with a capacity for genuine brotherly love that He has implanted into the regenerate.

Those with different ethnic backgrounds who marry demonstrate God's plan that His people are one.

Chick