1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mixed Swimming - Acceptable or Not?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mnw, Jun 6, 2006.

1. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Sooooo......what you are saying is that fundamentalists are perverts.

Just kidding.....please hold the hate mail I was just joking fundies. :laugh: :laugh:

Wait GB93, that is kind of what you said. Is that what you mean.

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think that is an interesting point. It very well could be that because some fundy's so strongly emphasize avoiding such situations that they are never taught how to behave when they find themselves in such situations. I know there's a fundy school in Florida that goes to the "hottest" beaches to witness and they teach their folks how to behave. When I was younger I simply could not have participated in such a thing. I could do it now because I've developed some measure of self-control over my eyes. But on some days I still couldn't do it.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

This is probably a bad time to share what our church did this evening. Together with some other churches in town we rented out the local water park and pool and had an free picnic and swim. The place was packed with people from all over our community. Our churches had people there to talk to folks, invite them to our different Vacation Bible Schools and interact with people. I personally had the opportunity to talk to people about church, vacation bible school and the gospel.

There were people dressed in all different kinds of swimwear. However, we were more interested in getting to know them and having opportunities to talk to them about the Lord. It was a great evening.

4. gekko

gekko New Member

oh no. my ancles are showing.
    hehehe.
    quoted much earlier - "Hey, look, another extreme!"
    yah well - sometimes in exaggeration we see ourselves most clearly.
    ---

read most of this thread - cause i love swimming. :)
    mixed swimming? dont think much about it - im more focused on the swimming aspect of it all rather then what other people's waist sizes are for their swimsuits...
    look at it this way maybe - if you go to the swimmin pool - and you can't control your lust of the flesh - you should get your own private swimming pool - or go find a lake elsewhere. if you can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen. simple as that.

on the other hand - for those professing christians who say they have no problem with lust - thats your problem right there - you embrace it - you say you dont have a problem with it because you working right beside it.

on the left foot (i've used both hands already... tryin to lighten things up here people :) ) we got the professing christians - who are true - who hate lust - and when they go swimming - and see all these people - the resist temptation - they just dont go there - with the help of the Lord.
    ---

at the camp i work at - we've passed the rule that there are only one piece swimsuits allowed - if you dont have one - where a shirt (not a white one either). this was because not all the kids going to the camp are christian. applies to staff as well.

but its mixed swimming. and who cares? i mean... c'mon people - ya aint mennonite are ya? LOL.
    ---

great job with what you did there PastorSBC! that's what we should focus on the most - evangelism - not fretting if its ok for a christian to be involved with swimming in a public pool.

if you tell your children to stay away from mixed swimming... you're just taking one area away where they could share their faith.
    throw stones at me if you wish - but that's how i see it.

#104 gekko, Jun 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2006
  5. mnw

mnw New Member

My personal and family position - no immodest mixed swimming. As a pastor I will not arrange immodest mixed swimming. But as individuals the church can do as they wish - even arrange something amongst themselves. That is their right.

Why don't I do it? Because of modesty and consistency. I will not allow my daughter to wear a miniskirt and certainly will not allow her to wear less.

Are there times when ethics dictate that you do something that at other times would be considered immodest? Yes, that explains the doctor issue.

Deejay, I am touched that you thought of me through the day. :) But, with the exception of the gym I would go to those places.

Certain sights you cannot avoid, and should not otherwise you would become isolated and not separated.

But will I deliberately go somewhere that presents temptation? And should I advise others to go to such places? No.

THere it is.

Now, praise the Lord! My wifes visa just came through so she is no longer an illegal immigrant! :)

6. gekko

gekko New Member

mnw said " But will I deliberately go somewhere that presents temptation?"

umm... doesn't EVERYWHERE present temptation?

7. Mercury

Mercury New Member

I am! (But as an Anabaptist I'm allowed to poke my head in the Baptist forums.) I've been bemused as I've followed this topic, though since I'm not new to the BB, I wasn't surprised. At my church, I don't remember this issue ever coming up. Modesty is encouraged, but swimming suits aren't singled out, and most appreciate that different situations call for different attire. (I have some loud Hawaiian shirts that are too loud and thus immodest for my church -- they'd draw attention to me -- but perfectly fine for other settings and perhaps even some other churches.)

And PastorSBC, that's an encouraging story. Indeed, if we focus on loving our neighbour by following Jesus' example, we'll be less likely to lust about them, regardless of their apparel.

Finally, to the suggestion that we should avoid places that cause temptation, I agree that this can be a good principle. However, I think that if we focus on seeing places like public pools or beaches as places to lust, then we will be more likely to be tempted by them. If we instead see them as places to swim or meet with friends or have a picnic, then perhaps we'll focus more on those activities than gawking. After all, if we cannot control our lusting, even a city sidewalk on a hot afternoon will provide plenty temptation, and even a gust of wind rippling a very modest skirt could cause us to sin. Indeed, if one were to withdraw from social interaction (which goes further than has been suggested), that would likely heighten one's temptation at even the most innocent human gathering. If we instead have healthy engagement with other people (understanding that this could look different for different individuals), we'll be less likely to objectify others.

8. mnw

mnw New Member

Yes, but are some situations more of a risk than others? Now my turn to use an extremem...

What about all those poor, unevangelised who only ever take holidays at nudist camps? Who will reach them? And surely, if our intention is to reach them then we won't have a problem with lust?

Mercury, I can understand what your saying, but I do not entirely agree. If we go out with lust on the mind then that is what we will get. But, whether we expect it our noit some sins just creep up on us.

Can we, and should we escape it entirely? No, we are in the world but not of the world. Should we take reasonable steps to avoid certain places? Yes.

9. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Mercury

A voice of reason. Well said.

MNW
    Your saying I cant even go to the gym to work out because of what other people wear. What about the sin of slouthfulness? Cant play sports because of the cheerleaders, cant jog, mostly because I cant physicaly jog but also it is 95 degrees you can imagin what other joggers wear.

I guess I would weigh 400 pounds.

10. mnw

mnw New Member

Deejay, I am not saying what anyone else can and can't do. I am saying what I believe and hold myself to.

Are you saying I have to go swimming and take off my shirt when I mow the lawn? :)

Again, and lastly, it is about being reasonable. Can I leave my house without seeing something objectionable? Probably not. Can I minimise the wickedness that I see? Yes, by avoiding the places I do not NEED to go to.

I go jogging most mornings, just started again after a break and it is killing me! :) Do you risk seeing someone dressed immodestly? Yes, just as you would going to the store.

My position is about minimising those things which I do not want to see. And immodest mixed swimming is one such occasion not NEEDED and avoidable.

You do as you wish. Now, I believe I have nothing more to say on this so I am going to try and keep my virtual mouth shut. I have much to do. :)

Thanks to those who have agreed and my thanks to those who have disagreed and voiced reasoned objections.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Fabulous idea. I'm thinking of moving to MO. How's your media center looking? :smilewinkgrin:

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Come on over! :thumbs:

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just telling what actually happened.

14. bapmom

bapmom New Member

that is odd, gb,

the fundies I know figure that if you are against mixed immodest swimming, than its just as immodest to have the boys sitting around the pool watching the girls while they swim.

Its called separate swim times. Sometimes we just don't think.....right?

15. gekko

gekko New Member

i went mixed swimming in the rain today. :D

16. gekko

gekko New Member

i have a question:

for those who practice - or put to use the "seperate swimming times"
    how do you deal with homosexuals and lesbians (provided that you dont know about their dilema)?

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

gekko,

we can only reasonably protect ourselves up to a certain point. In our family, the girls are wearing a shirt and culottes over their swim suit anyway, even though its all girls. We do believe in modesty in front of the same gender as well as in front of the opposite.

more later..............:wavey:

18. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I dont have aproblem with mixed swimming, but I do hate to see half naked girls followed around by drooling guys with sagging shorts. I take my youth group swimming in the summer, but they follow the clothing rules, or they wear what I provide them, lol. Our girls all wear T shirts over their swimsuits. And white ones dont count. And they also dont get to linger in corners and dark places or behind bushes or whatever places are available for inappropriate activity. We have lots of fun, and we usually have as many adults as we do kids.
    Let me add, though, that we dont allow our 4 and 5 year old daughters to wear 2 pieces even now, although they are cute, because we want them to be accustomed to dressing modestly.

#118 TaterTot, Jun 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2006
  19. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Tater, if your girls are anything like mine, they wouldn't wear a bikini anyway. "But, but, my TUMMY shows!" (think very shocked, whiney voice)

Now I do like the new two piece suits for girls that have "boy shorts" for bottoms and tops that meet the bottoms. Modest as a one piece but much more convinient for restroom visits.

Mixed swimming? Well, us folks here at the menagerie left the critters and went on a vacation that included a trip to the beach. Can't get more mixed than that.

Thirteen year old Cassie got more looks and comments dressed in a full length evening gown during a cruise the week before than she did in her swimsuit on the beach (not one comment or overt look on the beach).

11 year old Chris, when asked directly, can't remember anyone on the beach without enough clothes on.

As for myself, I did see just one person who would have been just as well off nekkid, but it was only that one.

Modesty can be practiced even in mixed group swimming. Immodesty can be practiced in mixed group church. In our case, we practice modesty no matter what situation we find ourselves in to the best of our ability as God's grace allows.

But, if you are not comfortable swimming with the opposite sex, DON'T DO IT! But realize that this is a matter of personal preference and not a sin issue.

LOL, what bother me the most that day was the men who had words tatooed across their chests or backs in 3-4 inch letters. What's up with that? :confused:

20. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Molded by the culture

Whenever we are 'made to feel' anything at all it is a sign of being shaped by the world. We should determine the best course for our actions, dress and devotion to God by scripture, as stated in Romans 12:1,2

All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. 2Tim3:12
    Note that doesnt say 'possibly' but 'shall'.
    This is a good measure of whether we mostly please the world or our Lord.