1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MLB: the Midseason report

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Jun 25, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I predict a White Sox - Mets World Series with a third consecutive sweep by the AL team. The AL is head and shoulders above the NL this season.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Here's an LCS prediction for both leagues and a World Series prediction.

I like the Red Sox over the White Sox in an extremely tight 7 game series. Historically, Schilling and Beckett have the stones to pitch very well in the playoffs and Papelbon looks like he does too.

I'll go with the Mets over the Dodgers in the NLCS because of Pedro.

Finally, I'll take the Red Sox over the Mets in the World Series.

Whether it's the Red Sox or White Sox, whoever wins the ALCS will win the World Series. The depth of pitching in the AL is far and away better than any NL team.

3. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prediction

I tend to think St. Louis and Red Sox in the series. I don't see the Mets starting pitching being enough to win a short series. Both Pedro and Glavin are too old to pitch successfully on short rest imho. Everyone else is very questionable.:tear:

I say Red Sox because of Beckett and Schilling. They will be hard to beat for any team.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You could make a convincing argument for the White Sox beating the Red Sox too, because their pitching staff proved last season just how good they are. At this point in the season, the White Sox offense is better than the Red Sox, but BoSox are certainly no slouches when it comes to scoring.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I don't think the Red Sox will be in the Series, Chicago has a better chance of getting there.

But if you are using pitching as the criteria for who makes it to the world series, Detroit has better and deeper pitching than both the palesox and Bosox.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

That's a good point. I hadn't considered Detroit, probably because of my anti-Detroit bias. :smilewinkgrin:

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

:laugh: Well there is always hope for you.

Some give Jim Leyland all the credit for the "Motor City Makeover", but I think that the picthing staff has to get their share of the credit too.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I've heard that too about Leyland, the new standard for managerial excellence, and it made me laugh. Before this season, the new standard for managerial excellence had a career record of 1069-1131. It's silly to suggest that he's the reason the Tigers are 28 games above .500 in July.

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I think he part of the reason, but not the sole reason. He infused a winning attitude and "swagger" into the team that was missing before. But I think that a strong farm system, got front office work by Dombroski and some lucky breaks are what keep the Tigers winning.

10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I don't find it silly at all. Leyland has made a huge difference in the attitude of this team. He may not be the entire reason, but he is a major reason.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe the Tigers will be as successful in winning their sport's championship in 2006 as the Red Wings and the Pistons were.

12. PastorSBC1303

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Usually I agree with you, PastorSBC, but I can't on this one.

Before this season, Leyland's career record was well under .500. He's had some dreadful seasons in Pittsburgh, Florida and Colorado. Surely the attitude he brings would have kept the 99 Rockies from going 72-90 or the 98 Marlins from going 54-108.

I've got a better reason than the attitude of the team being the reason they lead the AL Central. It's the pitching and, to a smaller degree, their hitting.

Their offense is modestly better, ranking 6th in the AL in the runs scored so far in 06 after finishing 05 ranked 11th. But, their pitchers have allowed the fewest runs not only in the AL, but in all of baseball. Both Bonderman and Robertson are pitching better in 06 than in 05, and neither Rogers nor Verlander pitched an inning for them in 05. Both are pitching well in 06. Every starter but Z. Miner is averaging under 100 pitches a game and Miner is just a smidge over 100.

At the pace the Tigers are on, they would win 39 more games in 06 than in 05. No manager is worth that many wins.

In 1997, Leyland worked Livan Hernandez right into shoulder injuries. This season, Leyland has obviously limited pitch counts and I think he should get credit for not working his pitchers to death.

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Can't compare apples with organges Ken. Boy that Detroit hatred of yours comes through strong.:tongue3:

You have to admit though you are impressed with the turn-around the Tigers have made. Right now staticly they are mirroring last years palesox, and we know what they did.:thumbs:

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

In doing my quick stats analysis of the 05 vs. 06 Tigers, I was surprised and impressed to find they've allowed the fewest runs scored in the majors. If the playoffs started today, I think the Tigers would have to be considered a realistic contender to win the World Series, although I still think they'd lose to either Boston or Chicago.

I have Zach Miner on my fantasy baseball team, so I hope he does well, but there's no way I'm hopping on the bandwagon of any Detroit sports team. :wavey:

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

At least you are giving them credit- I will give you that!:laugh: I think that is about the best thing you have ever said about any team from Detroit.

The Tigers have played awesome defense, just like Chicago did last year. If they keep pitching, playing great D, and hitting decently, they are just as much a contender at the end of the season as anybody. I really believe that Detroit and Chicago are going to make the playoffs leaving somebody out from the east- that sombody I predict is the Yankees, and wouldn't that be sweet! :thumbs:

17. PastorSBC1303

ccr, I understand what you are saying.

So you think if Buddy Bell is the manager of the Tigers this year and they are in the same place?

There is no doubt the pitching and hitting of this team has greatly improved and it a big part of their turn around. I just don't think you can discount the part Leyland has played in this turn around. No doubt he has managed some terrible teams and was not able to help them win. If nothing else those bad years has helped him do what he has done with this team here in Detroit.

Now we do agree completely on the fact that no matter how good this team plays, I am not hopping on the bandwagon for anything. :thumbs:

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Good question about Buddy Bell. I think they would be better, but 57-28? Probably not.

I didn't mean to imply that Leyland has had nothing to do with Detroit's resurgence, because I think he does deserve credit. But, if they keep winning at their current pace, that would be a 39 game turnaround, and no manager is worth 39 wins. The average pitch count stat shows me that Leyland has kept them right around 100 pitches per start, which is very much different than he's done in the past, re: 1997 and Livan Hernandez. That bodes well for the Tigers for the rest of the season, and, I hate to say it, the postseason too.

19. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well here is my early playoff predections:

NL
    1-NY Mets
    2-St. Louis Cardinals
    3-LA Dodgers
    WC-Cincinatti Reds

AL
    1-Detroit Tigers
    2-Boston Red Sox
    3-Oakland A's
    WC-Chicago White Sox (Thats right folks nooo Yankees!!)

NLDS
    NY Mets vs. Cincinatti Reds-Mets win 3-2
    St Louis Cardinals vs. LA Dodgers-Dodgers win 3-1

NLCS
    LA Dodgers vs. Cincinatti Reds-Dodgers in 5

ALDS
    Detroit Tigers vs. Oakland A's-Tigers 3-1
    Boston Red sox vs. Chicago White Sox- Red Sox 3-2
    ALCS

Detroit Tigers vs. Boston Red Sox- Tigers in 7

World Series
    Tigers vs. Dodgers- Tigers in 6 :smilewinkgrin:

20. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Mets over Reds in NLDS followed by Dodgers over Reds in NLCS? Doh! :smilewinkgrin:

BTW, just to help you out brother, you have too many T's and not enough N's in Cincinnati. :wavey: