1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MLK talks about Christianity

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by wopik, Jan 27, 2006.

1. wopik

wopik New Member

"The Hebrew Sabbath having been abolished by Christians, the Church made a sacred day of Sunday, partly because it was the day of resurrection (not quite)

http://www.centuryone.com/crucifixion.html.

But when we observe a little further we find that as a solar festival, Sunday was the sacred day of Mithra; it is also interesting to notice that since Mithra was addressed as Lord, Sunday must have been "the Lord's Day" long before Christian use. [Footnote: Ibid., p. 137.]

It is also to be noticed that our Christmas, December 25th, was the birthday of Mithra, and was only taken over in the Fourth Century as the date, actually unknown, of the birth of Jesus."

Pick your LORD: JESUS, who said He is Lord of the Sabbath Day (Mk 2:28; Lk 12:8) -- or MITHRA, Lord of Sunday.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/King/publications/papers/vol1/500215-The_Influence_of_the_Mystery_Religions_on_Christianity.htm

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind". (Ro 14:5)

God Bless!

3. wopik

wopik New Member

Romans 14 has nothing to do with the Sabbath or holy days.

Romans 14:1-6 has to do with the same subject Paul covered in 1 Corinthians 8.

Paul addressed the issue of eating meat that may have been sacrificed to idols and consequently could have been viewed by some members as unfit to eat.

Paul's point in that chapter was that any association of food with idolatrous activity had no bearing on whether that food was otherwise suitable for eating.

Paul was addressing the same issue in both groups, namely, whether members should avoid meats that may have been associated with idolatrous worship. This may be indicated by Paul's reference to "unclean" meat in Romans 14:14.

Paul's advice in 1 Corinthians 8 was the same as his conclusion in Romans 14:15: Be especially careful not to offend a fellow member, causing him to stumble or lose faith over the issue of meats.

What is clear is that the Roman members' reason for avoiding meat was directly related to the days they were observing.

Romans 14 in no way is speaking of the Sabbath, much less doing away with it.

4. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

To me it matters not what day one worships. As long as one worships the true Lord-that is Jesus Christ.

5. wopik

wopik New Member

might it not matter to Jesus ?

6. wopik

wopik New Member

....O full of all subtilty and all mischief, you child of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?

acts 13:10

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean when a child of God gets to heaven, he may very well be in danger of condemnation for having worshipped on a Sunday, instead of a Saturday ?
    Or, as some say, at the very least, lose a reward ?
    You mean, Christians today are disappointing the Savior because they worship on a Sunday ?

This is just another of those things that will remain in the grave, and be repeated only over and over in time, and time will vanish one day.

When those who enter eternity future to be with God do so, none of these theologies and concepts will ever be remembered, and the only thing that matters is the Savior Himself.

Even if we want to, we really cannot say that our Saturday is the Biblical Seventh Day of the week,
    neither can we say that Sunday is the Scriptural First Day of the Week.

Jews dealt with the days of the week in numbers. I don't think they had a name for Monday or Wednesday or Friday.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean when a child of God gets to heaven, he may very well be in danger of condemnation for having worshipped on a Sunday, instead of a Saturday ?
    Or, as some say, at the very least, lose a reward ?
    You mean, Christians today are disappointing the Savior because they worship on a Sunday ?

This is just another of those things that will remain in the grave, and be repeated only over and over in time, and time will vanish one day.

When those who enter eternity future to be with God do so, none of these theologies and concepts will ever be remembered, and the only thing that matters is the Savior Himself.

Even if we want to, we really cannot say that our Saturday is the Biblical Seventh Day of the week,
    neither can we say that Sunday is the Scriptural First Day of the Week.

Jews dealt with the days of the week in numbers. I don't think they had a name for Monday or Wednesday or Friday.

9. wopik

wopik New Member

pinoybaptist

1) where in the Bible does it say people go to Heaven ? This is not in the Bible. The preachers keep push'n this idea like it's in the Bible.

I believe you are correct, pinoybaptist.

The only day God named was the seventh day. He called it the Sabbath (exodus 16:23).

Even in the NT, "the first day of the week" is just that, while the Sabbath is still called the 'Sabbath'.

It is also significant that the Sabbath is called the Sabbath. This was not the common Greek way of referring to the seventh day of the week. So, Luke is actually giving additional meaning to the Sabbath by referring to it by name. He does not call it the "Jewish Sabbath" but simply "the Sabbath." (The Hebrew—or Aramaic—word was, in fact, borrowed by the New Testament writers.)

http://intercontinentalcog.org/ICGCC/Lesson_Seven.shtml

10. wopik

wopik New Member

all mankind will be keeping the Sabbath in the Millenium reign of Jesus, on this Earth (Isa 66:23).

all mankind will also be keeping 'the holidays of the Bible', in the Millenium reign of Jesus, on this Earth (Zech. 14: 16-19).

11. wopik

wopik New Member

12. wopik

wopik New Member

13. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Just so you know Wopik, the link that you posted is from a site hosted by an ebionite that doesn't believe that Jesus was Divine.

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I worship God every day of the week, so I'm covered no matter what.

The Sabbath(Saturday of course) was for the Jews.

Nothing at all wrong with gathering regularly on Sunday if you want to of course. Or Saturday.

My current fellowship meets on Saturday night, Sunday morning, and Sunday night.

A previous church of mine met at 2PM Sunday afternoon.

For about a year several years ago my only gathered fellowship was meeting in a "house" church with about 10 other believers every thursday night for bible study.

For a while back in the 80's my "church" was about 50 of us that met in a conferance room at the Holiday Inn that every tuesday night.

God was no doubt equally pleased with all of it. [​IMG]

By far and away the worship time that I have partaken of through the years the least is Sunday morning.

Not because there is anything wrong with it, but I've almost always worked nights and dont usually go to bed until about the time the sun comes up. Its torture getting up 3 hours later.

Most fellowships I've been a part of have evening meetings that are every bit as annointed and blessed and lively as any others, so thats when I go.

In addition, I just dont usually get as much out of it as the other services. Sunday morning, in many churches, is the time when all those who are just "making their weekly appearance" in their "Sunday best" are there.(Usually for any number of reasons other than because they truly love God and are born of the Spirit)

I'd rather be with 75 people...or even 10 people...who mean it with all their heart on Sunday evening than with 300 who are just putting on a show.

The important thing is to gather gather gather and I've never forsaken it, and never will. Its too much of a blessing. Particularly when God shows up and manifests Himself.

God bless, [​IMG]

Mike

15. wopik

wopik New Member

you mean in OT times, gentiles had to keep sunday?

Gentiles were supposed to keep the Sabbath when they "joined themselves to the Lord" - Isa. 56:1-7 / 1Cor 6:17.

All nations will "join themselves to the Lord" - Jer. 50:5/Zech 2:11 --- and keep the Sabbath and holy days of the Bible.

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting.

So Wopik, what do you believe the Bible says about this?

I suggest a reading of Matthew 12, Mark 2, and Luke 6 to better understand Paul's words in Romans 14.

17. wopik

wopik New Member

Hi,

I want some verses in the Bible that say:

"when you die, you go to heaven"

"when she dies, she goes to heaven"

"when they die, they go to heaven"

none of that kind of stuff is in the Bible.

Where do you and Billy Graham get this "goin' to heaven" idea from ?

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A statement "has to do" with the words therein stated.

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 23:43
    (some might argue that the word "paradeisos" means something else; one of the definitions given is "heaven")

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment

And where does the judgment occur?

Revelation 4:2 And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.

Revelation 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
    12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

So I humbly submit that there is evidence in the Bible that says when you die, you go to heaven.

Now, as I previously asked, what do you believe the Bible says about this?

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, almost forgot:

Matthew 5:12 Rejoice and be exceeding glad: for great [is] your reward in heaven

Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father, which is in heaven

Matthew 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these commandments, and shall teach men so, shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven

And many more.