1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Angry with some new CCM

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Brother Adam, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Have any of you heard some of the new Christmas music coming out by some CCM artists? It makes me sick how they have slaughtered some traditional Christmas songs to their own "beat". Have the music is hard to even bear listening to its just so bad. I mean, you can't put Silent Night to rap/rock music. It just doesn't work.

There is definitely something wrong with some of these artists using this music how they are.

UNP, Adam

[ September 12, 2002, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

2. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Thanks for this post. Coming from you I was highly impressed. You are not an "I'll-support-any-CCM-that-comes-along" robot. That's great! Keep discerning like that! By the way, the only new recording that comes close to giving interesting "new" renditions of carols is MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER'S "Christmas Extraordinaire" recording. (Though some may be a little upset with the "Hallelujah Chorus" setting...) But, by and large, CCM versions of Christmas carols are disrespectful. I wince at some of the things I hear. Let's make vibrant settings of carols where applicable, but not these flippant versions that we are so unfortunate to have to hear at this season. :rolleyes:

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Daniel ]

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Daniel ]

3. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I love the Steamroller's version too!

UNP, Adam

4. Grace

Grace New Member

Haven't heard the Steamroller's version. GASP! They redid Handel??? :eek: That's like trying to re-do J.S Bach's Chorales.
    Just Kidding. I'm not to crazy about "remixes" of favorite Christmas carols, but I guess I'll have to hear it before I say "How dare ye?"

Redeemed,
    Grace

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Adam, I agree completely. That's just one of the myriad problems I have with CCM.

I'm as gung ho about Christmas as they come but anytime I hear them do a Christmas song or a hymn, it makes me cringe.

Mike

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I would beg to disagree. I enjoy a good remake of old hymns. Carols aren't necessarily any different.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just bought Point of Grace "Christmas" album and they do an excellent harmony on "O Holy Night".

The rest of the album was $13 flushed down the ol' commode . . . :mad:

8. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

sorry but I think it's about time ccm artists do something to spice up the ol boring traditional stuff....they actually make me want to hear it now.

karen

9. Grace

Grace New Member

Well, I'll have to agree with Dr Bob about Point of Grace's "Oh Holy Night" It is the prettiest arrangement of that song I have ever heard. As for the other, I'll have to agree to disagree, and still admire and respect Dr. Bob ;)

I like traditional Hymns. In January, I'm planning on my friends helping me to record a bunch of my favorite accapella hymns and then burn them onto a cd just for my friends and family. I'm going to call it "I'd Rather Have Jesus" and it will feature the following-"O Come O Come Emmanuel" "The Old Rugged Cross" "I'd Rather Have Jesus" "Up From the Grave He arose" "Be Thou my Vision" etc Oh BTW, how can I check on copywright laws in case I ever decide to send this to anybody with hopes of being "discovered" (just kidding about being discovered, serious about checking on copywrights)

10. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grace:
    (just kidding about being discovered, serious about checking on copywrights)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would check on the copyright on each of those songs, i believe they are in public domain if their authors/composers have been dead for at least 100 years.

UNP, Adam

11. Grace

Grace New Member

Ok, Thanks Adam.

Redeemed,
    Grace

12. Daniel

Daniel New Member

The number is 75 years. Check the bottom of the hymn for current copyright info. You may also run into copyright concerns from the hymnal you're using. They have often extended copyrights on the songs. CCLI in Portland, Oregon, is your best bet on definitive, decisive information. CCLI stands for Christian Copyright Licensing International. They are fantastic with this copyright stuff for Christians. They'll gladly help you. You can look them up on the web.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd Rather Have Jesus still has an active copyright. Thought you should know.

While written in 1922, the copyright has been renewed by Word Publishing. We've used their wonderful hymnal "The Hymnal for Worship and Celebration" and it is in there "all rights reserved" . . .

14. Grace

Grace New Member

Thanks a bunch. Maybe I don't want to do this project after all. I just thought it would be fun and would be a nice thing to do for my family. I don't care about being discovered. I don't even really want to be. I'm stressing from having 4 concerts in 3 days next week with school. :D

15. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

I don't think that all of them are bad, it's just that there are few that ruin the rest of the good ones.
    I don't appreciate artists who try to convert a soft song to an upbeat song.

I myself often "remake" a song, but it is never making a soft song loud or anything like that.

I think that it is okay to remake a song as long as you don't try to change the format of the song so much that you can't recognize the original making of it.

In Christ's Gracious love,
    Teresa

16. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Grace said:

Oh BTW, how can I check on copywright laws in case I ever decide to send this to anybody with hopes of being "discovered" (just kidding about being discovered, serious about checking on copywrights)

All the songs you listed are in the public domain, with the exception of "I'd Rather Have Jesus," which was written by George Beverly Shea, who is still with us.

17. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

flyfree432 said:

Have any of you heard some of the new Christmas music coming out by some CCM artists? It makes me sick how they have slaughtered some traditional Christmas songs to their own "beat".

I agree. No more slaughtering of traditional songs with new innovations.

From now on "Silent Night" can only be performed in German, on a guitar, the way it was originally written.

"O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" may not be sung in parts. It is based on Latin plainsong, and may therefore only be sung in unison, by men.

No choirs with more than 30 or so members may sing the "Hallelujah Chorus."

Anything above and beyond these traditional renditions is to be considered a contemporary innovation, and therefore abominable to our ears.

18. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Hi all,
    I just love the music for the Christmas season. All of the old carols are wonderful, but I truly don't like when artist "mess them up". I like them tradional. So I am a stuck in the mud? That is not to say that I don't like new songs. I can take a new song with new words and new music and make it an old tradition in four or five years. I read, in an earlier post about preaching , about being called. He was told that he was called to preach if he could do nothing but preach. By that definition, I am called to sing. I can do nothing but.

19. Brett Valentine

Bought the new Fred Hammond Christmas CD, and just couldn't get into it at all. It just didn't convey the right "spirit" to me. Tried t like it, but it just didn't work for me.

Passed it on to my sister and I'm curious to hear what her take on it is.

Brett

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    C'mon, Ransom. Enjoy you poking at the "CCM" v "tradition", but allow for differences in taste.

I hate the Star Spangled Banner all mucked up by singers before a ball game. None of them have learned to mutilate O Canada yet, but your day will come!

I like hymns and especially Christmas Carols done in traditional style, sans drums and screeching electric guitar (and I play the guitar)

Doesn't make me an old fogey (although I am one). Just my preference.

Too bad we don't seem to realize that everyone who doesn't conform to my preferences is not automatically an evil sinner, pagan, neo etc etc etc