1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Hell's Bells

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Aaron, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you ever doubted the reason Rock music is chosen as a vehicle for evil, you never will again.

Hell's Bells 2

I had prayed for confirmation of the conclusions I was coming to from my independent study. An elderly lady I hadn't seen or spoken to in five or six years called me out of the blue. She had been criticized for her Calvinistic views, and simply called me for some encouragement. She said, "By the way, I have a set of videos I would like to give you..."

[ September 11, 2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Aaron,

I've seen the original Hell's Bells but not the updated version.

The problem with the original is that they take a very small number of controversial artists with whacked out world-views and claim that they speak for all musicians.

They also make many of the same fallacious arguments that are made by the anti-contemporary people here on BB.

In what way is the new and improved version better?

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Yep, you have to be real careful with people putting out propaganda like that. I remember in school getting a copy of "The Communist Rules for Revolution" -- included such things as "Get people's minds on sports and off of real news events", "Get kids interested in sex" (I think hormones and loose morals takes care of that). Plus, several other bullet items. It was supposed to be the plan for taking over America. We passed it around like it was a REAL SECRET discovered by the CIA--only to find out it was written by somebody with good intentions, but it just wasn't true. (I'm not agreeing with Communism at all.)...just making a point that a lot of things are blown way out of whack by a few radicals. We know there is a lot of sin in secular rock music--so, what's new and how does that relate to contemporary Christian music. (I don't necessarily agree with every song, but it is usually more of a doctrinal issue--plus there are old hymns I don't necessarily agree with either.)

4. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phillip:
    [QB]Yep, you have to be real careful with people putting out propaganda like that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it seems that you have pretty much made up your mind about the truthfulness of Hell's Bells2 - The Dangers of Rock 'n' Roll, right? :(

5. myreflection26

myreflection26 New Member

Well geesh Hells Bells, Peter Acardi, hmmm who else is out there??

Aaron, no offense but seriously, I have no intention of giving up my time and energy to materials like this when I have scripture right in front of me. Point is, I can see who is dangerous in the music world and who isn't without the help of the well intented but a bit over the top legalistic folks who have nothing better to do than rip into musicians secular or christian.

God's conviction is perfectly fine for me, but thanks.

Sue

6. Daniel

Daniel New Member

I don't even want to touch this one, guys! Wowee Kazowie! :eek:

7. Barnabas H.

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sue, I don't think Peter Acardi has anything to do with Hells Bells2 - The dangers of Rock 'N' Roll. He has his own ministry. But it sounds like Eric Holmberg, Reel to Reel Ministries.

However judging by your critical comment on the above, I do not think you are fond of either one of these gentlemen. ;)

8. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by myreflection26:

Aaron, no offense but seriously, I have no intention of giving up my time and energy to materials like this when I have scripture right in front of me. Point is, I can see who is dangerous in the music world and who isn't without the help of the well intented but a bit over the top legalistic folks who have nothing better to do than rip into musicians secular or christian.

God's conviction is perfectly fine for me, but thanks.

Sue
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So...

You don't need to consider possible wisdom or teaching from anyone else, since you can "see who is dangerous in the music world and who ins't"

because you have:

a) scripture right in front of you

and

b) God's conviction.

My question: In addition to God's conviction, what specific verses allow you to discern these difficult issues without anyone else's input?

9. myreflection26

First of all, I know Peter Acardi has nothing to do with Hells Bells, he's just another name I mentioned. Its not that I have anything against them, its just I really don't care what they have to say simply put.

Jim, basic scripture that speaks on thinking on things of above such as Phil. 4:18 (I believe it is) and others that speak on praising the Lord with music ,,,yada yada yada. I don't believe there are any scriptures that specifically speak out on particular types of music just simply foundations.

There is much more to it than that, if I were to explain in detail it would take forever and it wouldn't be recieved well on this board anyway so I won't even bother.

I just don't mess with in my opinion "so called wisdom" from videos and stuff like this material has to offer.

Sue

10. Pennsylvania Jim

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daniel:
    I don't even want to touch this one, guys! Wowee Kazowie! :eek:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wowee Kazowie :eek: is right!!

What do you say we make Sue the anti-CCM poster child?

In all fairness, though, Sue probably doesn't realize that she has to mask the rejection of the Scriptures in favor of her feelings. Seasoned CCM apologists use re-interpretations of the Scriptures or revisionist history.

12. myreflection26

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't ignore it, Sue. I am an outside observer and you came across strong with an anti-biblical position and have been called down. [​IMG]

It's high noon. You need to type to these folks and explain your reasonning. Get out your guns and stand up to Marshall Aaron and his posse. :eek:

We don't allow sitting in a corner and moping. Now, get in there and fight like a man . . . er, like a Baptist! :rolleyes:

14. myreflection26

I don't think so, I haven't been "called down", I've been downright unjustly insulted and I'm not going to continue on with it. Aaron has before shown ignorance to scriptures by putting his little interpretation to it and now he's being downright rude. I don't feel the need to continue on with that.

Believe me, you wouldn't like it if I did anyway, so I'm letting it go.

Sue

15. Barnabas H.

Faith:
    Baptist
    A noble gesture Sue, and I for one thank you! [​IMG]

16. Daniel

Daniel New Member

In all fairness to everyone, we may have to deal with much of this in a different thread under a different title. In all likelihood Sue will not respond. She is set in her ways and will not change for any reasoning posted on these boards. Let's consider carefully WHAT we're asking for ladies and gentlemen.

17. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

I remember showing Hell's Bells back when I was a youth pastor. I didn't think it was good for teens in that it only sensationalized it plus some of the groups such as the Rolling Stones and Led Zepellin had few fans among teens. I found it to be at time unintentially humorous especually trying to decode supposed backmasking. The price was also outraegeous. We rented it.

If your going to pay $70 for this sequel...remember that in 5 years it will be a dated worthless video in that most of the rock stars of today will be surplanted by the new in 2 to 5 years. Like how many kids today know who Guns n Roses, Poison or Warrant is?

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: Kiffin ]

18. myreflection26

Kiffin,

Thats actually more to my point thanks. When I was a young kid I was forced to sit in on several rock presentations where the pastor or youth pastor played videos and tapes of back masking and stuff. First of all I was so young and some of the stuff scared the living daylights out of me in the way it was presented. Now to think back on how freaked out the adults were at the "backmasking" I now laugh because they were so scared the lyrics behind the lyrics would harm their kid when really you need to be careful of the lyrics plainly heard. Of course one of the tapes I heard was Peter Acardi who insisted on using and ripping apart artists like Amy Grant, Keith Green...HELLO Keith Green folks...cough cough... :rolleyes: one of the most annointed men God ever placed on this earth!!!! He also tore others apart too, but it was always picking and tearing apart the person and little nit picky things they said in interviews or something and I always thought,,,,so what makes you mr perfect to rip their lives apart when you are in sin too?

Btw...the pastor who presented one of the rock presentations also had three teens of his own and all three of them would sneak into his bedroom to get the rock tapes he used and listened to them for enjoyment. He of course had no clue in the world, in fact I remember going on a youth trip with them and got on the van to find the teens all had tapes of Grateful Dead and stuff like that so I went back to get some Petra and Dctalk to listen to and got yelled at...by my mother and the pastor....so I told them both that if my tapes had to go the others did too or I didn't go simply put. They let me take my tapes.

I can say that the biggest number of youth really consider those materials a joke. I know I did and my friends did too, maybe there are youth who would uphold them and thats up to them but I've heard what kids in schools think of that stuff.

Sue

19. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Seasoned CCM apologists use re-interpretations of the Scriptures or revisionist history. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    And seasoned CCM critics add to scripture and override scriptures (and assume history always suports their position)

20. Pennsylvania Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barnabas:
    A noble gesture Sue, and I for one thank you! [​IMG]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But I thought this was a discussion.