1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Is Rock Music "Addictive"

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like a great variety of musical genres - classical, blues, opera, folk (my favorite). Really hate country/western and any sort of rock. That is my point of view.

But I find a whole generation (starting with my days of Elvis the Pelvis and the Beattles) that seems literally addicted to Rock music. It seems more than just a choice but reflecting a "way of life" or a mentality/point of view.

What's your thoughts about this? Has Rock literally addicted a whole generation? Can music even do that?

Opinions on the issue, not whether you agree with MY musical tastes, please! [​IMG]

[ September 12, 2002, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I hate country music. Look at so many of the lyrics of secular country. Horrible and ungodly. No country music could possibly be Christian music. Even if it has Christian lyrics. Nope. Not because of the beat. In fact I think it is evil. Look where it got its start...

Until Next Post, Adam

oh yeah, you were talking about music being addictive...define addictive.

3. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Dr Bob: there may be some study out there that links the 2-4 beat to the "short-circuiting" of the limbic system of the body, the part of us that gives us our inhibitions, modesty, ec. I am just not that familiar with where that info may be found. I think we may have to wait for Aaron on that one. Following that we will have a strong counter-argument from Smoke, Eric, Ransom, Sue, et. al You know the rountine! :rolleyes:

4. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

I find that Country Music fans are like that also.

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

No argument here, Daniel.

The whole "music-is-bad" thing is silly and I've spent way too much valuable time fooling with it.

If somebody has a conviction not to listen to a certain type of music, fine. Just leave me alone if I DO choose to listen to it.

This whole thread has inspired me to crank up a little Porter Wagoner and some Hank Thompson on the Hi-Fi.

Mike

http://www.randystonehill.com

[ March 12, 2002, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If folks can get addicted to food or sex, then certainly they can get addicted to music.

7. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

yeah, i'll admit it...im addicted to food. I eat everyday...I even some times enjoy the food I eat...how horrible :(

Until Next Post, Adam

8. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smoke_Eater:

This whole thread has inspired me to crank up a little Porter Wagoner and some Hank Thompson on the Hi-Fi.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, i think i'm going to go put the "satanists" Point of Grace on. :rolleyes:

Until Next Post, Adam

9. Joey M

Joey M New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Yeah, i think i'm going to go put the "satanists" Point of Grace on. :rolleyes: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    FlyFree, I never said that Point of Grace was evil, though I pointed to that web site it was not to show who I thought was evil or not, but rather so people could listen to some of the music itself and see for themselves. I never said I agreed with evrything the website said.

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: Joey M ]

10. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I understand that. The sarcasm in the post is more to be used as my agreement that CCM is not evil then to my disagreement with the website you listed. If anyone hasnt listened to CCM they can aquire Realplayer and listen to WAY-FM live on the internet at thier website www.way.fm without having to sort through the trash on av1611 to listen to examples. Just a suggestion though :D

Until Next post, Adam

11. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

That generation was simply addicted to addiction. The music was apart of it, but not the cause of it. People didn't know what was real, what to believe anymore, so "whatever feels good"; "whatever seems right" and "whatever works for you" became the natural and apparently only safe view of things. So naturally, they would gravitate to a musical form with a pleasing catchy rhythm, which could be used to express their rebellion against "the system". But the problem was in the people's hearts and minds. The music was a vehicle that was used wrong, just like sex. Thi doesn't mean that these things can never be good, or that everybody who uses it is "addicted" and thus in sin.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfree432:
    yeah, i'll admit it...im addicted to food. I eat everyday...I even some times enjoy the food I eat...how horrible :(

Until Next Post, Adam
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying there is no such thing as a food addiction?

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

There deffinately are food addictions. The one big difference, is that while we don't need most everything that people can and are addicted to, we do need food. Makes it a big problem for those addicted.

14. wilshine

wilshine New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfree432:
    I understand that. The sarcasm in the post is more to be used as my agreement that CCM is not evil then to my disagreement with the website you listed. If anyone hasnt listened to CCM they can aquire Realplayer and listen to WAY-FM live on the internet at thier website www.way.fm without having to sort through the trash on av1611 to listen to examples. Just a suggestion though :D

Until Next post, Adam
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for that link Adam, I like that station already.
    This is the station I listen to locally and on the web.
    KSBJ-God Listens

[​IMG]
    Wilma

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: wilshine ]

15. Jeep Brain

Jeep Brain New Member

It also has alot to do with repitition on TV or radio. Even though I don't like a certain song i'll catch myself humming it when really i shouldn't. peace! - Mike

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Has anyone here read Allan Bloom's chapter on music in The Closing of the American Mind? Bloom, to my knowledge, is an unregenerate professor at the University of Chicago. He has written what, IMHO, is the best chapter available on music. He has no "theological axe" to grind; he plainly says that his concern with the music is not whether it leads to sex, drugs, or rebellion. His concern is the effects of music on higher education.

As I say, that chapter on music is a must read for anyone who wants to intelligently discuss music and its affects on people. (The whole book is quite heavy ... I got through some of it and put it down.)

Anyone read it?

17. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:
    If folks can get addicted to food or sex, then certainly they can get addicted to music.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Says who? There's no connection.

18. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Pastor Larry:

Has anyone here read Allan Bloom's chapter on music in The Closing of the American Mind? Bloom, to my knowledge, is an unregenerate professor at the University of Chicago.

Was, actually. He died in 1992. You are right, he was unregenerate, being an atheist of Jewish descent (and, as has recently come to light thanks to his friend Saul Bellow, a practicing homosexual [he died of AIDS]).

I have the book, and I last read it about four years ago. My impression of the book is that Bloom was writing as somewhat of an ivory-tower philosopher (as if that dense chapter on German philosophical theory didn't give him away!) and a bit of a cultural elitist. I confess I don't recall exactly what he said about music - perhaps you can refresh my memory or correct me if I am mistaken? - but I vaguely remember him being disappointed with the way popular music has displaced classical amongst students, because classical music, like the Great Books, has a greater enduring value than "disposable" pop music.

I do remember not being impressed with his argument, just because I always have listened to both and appreciated them both for their own sakes.