1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Rock Music Not Conducive to Good Health

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Aaron, Apr 22, 2002.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Anyone that puts their faith and trust in the shed blood of Jesus Christ is a Christian. There are many Christians that are not Baptists, and many Baptists that are not Christians. What I was trying to define to you is the body of doctrine that a Baptist (esp. an IFB) believes is more like a Biblical Christian than other denominations.
    But you equated "other Christian groups" with the cults that I had mentioned. How can you be a Christian and believe in such heresies that these cults do, some of them even denying the deity of Christ?
    DHK

2. SorryDude

SorryDude Guest

I never said i believed that those cults were correct but it doesnt mean that members of the catholic church wont get into heaven.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It was Jesus that said you cannot serve two masters. If one fully understands the teaching of the Catholic Church, and is truly saved, he will leave the Catholic Church. He cannot be Catholic and Christian at the same time. You cannot serve two masters.
    DHK

4. Matticus

Matticus New Member

just to clear this up real quick, I'm positive that SorryDude was referring to other biblical christian denominations, such as pentacostal.

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

DHK:

The purpose of psalms, hymns and spiritual songs (i.e. Christian music) is for teaching and admonishing, or instruction.

U2 is not "Christian music" in the sense of being music by or for Christians for the purpose of evangelize, worship, or encouraging upright living, providing an alternative to ungodly music, and so forth.

It is popular music, that happens to be written in part by professing Christians, which draws on Christian doctrine, tradition, and imagery. Its primary purpose is entertainment. A U2 song is not a hymn or a psalm, any more than "Paradise Lost" is a fifth Gospel.

The problem is not with U2. The problem is that you have confused the categories and expect a song from one genre to live up to your expectations for another genre.

[ June 17, 2002, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Ransom ]

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Time to sum up your arguments. This thread will be closed tomorrow.

Your friendly moderator,
    Aaron

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Having admitted as much, then why do so many professing Christians call it Christian music, and classify along with CCM?
    DHK

8. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

DHK said:

Having admitted as much, then why do so many professing Christians call it Christian music, and classify along with CCM?

Because they, too, confuse their categories.

[ June 17, 2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Ransom ]

9. SorryDude

SorryDude Guest

Why is this going to be closed? I think it should die out on its own not be closed.

I would never ever consider U2 to be a Christian group but then again i would not consider them to be an evil group. I have much respect for them and what they do but i have even more respect for bands that come out clean and tell everyone that they are Christians and put their faith clearly into their music.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SorryDude,

It's customary on the BB to close threads that have become too long to read from beginning to end in a reasonable time. That's all.

As you can see, this thread abandoned the starting topic long ago.

You're certainly free to start a new one.

Aaron