1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured MMOTW, what makes the most perfect being of them all?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Oct 24, 2012.

1. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Is it just me....or did the Linguist just delineate the difference between two things....namely:
    1.) the status of being 95% perfect
    2.) being "perfect" as God in Heaven is perfect

JoJ....personally....I don't think you can speak of something like 95% perfection...as a non-linguist, I have a "linguistic objection" to your speaking this way.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The braying of the rear end of a donkey!:sleeping_2:

3. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The "rear-ends" of donkeys don't "bray" Old Regular...
    They "bray" from their mouths....Reverse the donkey, and your crass insult will work....

Of course...Baalam's donkey once prophesied....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Apparently you don't understand so goes to show you are as smart as you think!

5. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I would say that the only source of knowledge about God is revelation. Those things that are outside of revelation are arrived at by the influence of philosophical thinking. The point of the OP was to provoke people to consider that what they think they know is not necessarily arrived at via revelation only, but is in fact via philosophy. Case in point, augustine and calvinism being influenced through the neo-platonic philosophy. This is what this thread was for... you sir, have derailed it, wanting to argue symantics... you had made your point but really, it is an odd thing for you to carry on as you did. Have you at all answered the post? If you don't understand the post, then please just quit arguing. Have you offerred up some concepts that we westerners (or easterners if you insist) in general have about God that are contrary to revelation? This is exactly what I wanted to talk about in this thread. Again, you derailed the OP.

"If philosophy is a source of knowledge..." I did not say that it was in the sense that you are meaning it, you are the one making the proposition... I don't know why you are making it though, except maybe to argue against a strawman.

6. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

The 'genetic fallacy' IS always a fallacy... that fact is embedded in the semantics of the phrase 'genetic fallacy'.

Please clarify then, do you have linguistic objections to what you posted above? Is a 'genetic fallacy' not a 'fallacy'? Or, am I being uncharitable in holding you to such a strict standard? Perhaps you can provide a list of linguists who have used that phrase?

Got it? I'm not sure... which of these philosophical views of God is in error: the Arminian or the Calvinist? Are they strictly non-phylosophical views? My point in this whole thread is that all of us are influenced by philosophical thought of some degree regarding our view of God, the most perfect being. Are you not influenced by philosophical thinking regarding God?

Did you forget or have you not ever read it?
    Here's a google search for "most perfect being". JoJ, with a little more effort, here we can see that there are more than a few philosophers that use the exact phrase. Some of them are old, some of them are dead and some of them are white and I doubt that many of them are fundamentalists. The fact remains though, that they all knew what the phrase was intended to mean... and they did use it.