1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mockers of God and Christianity

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rachel, Oct 29, 2005.

?
  1. say nothing?

59.5%
  2. say something sometimes?

10.8%
  3. say something everytime?

27.0%
  4. try to find out why they mock or ridicule?

2.7%
  5. never hear anyone mock God or Christianity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Mockers of God and Christianity

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

When you hear people make snide or hateful comments about God or Christianity, does it make you angry? It does me, gets me very angry. Is that wrong? What should we do when that happens?
    Looking at John 15:18-27 and other places, it should be no suprise since they hated Jesus so much (and still do). The world hated Him before we ever came along.

I'm curious about how y'all respond to people in these situations.

Thanks!

3. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Very interesting poll Rachel. For the second question I had to put not sure, only because I do not get angry. I do not like what they said, but I have come to the realization that most of the people who do mock God and Christianity have had very bad experiences with Christians. If I want to try and show them what true Christianity is, it would not be beneficial to do so with anger in my heart.

4. Rachel

Rachel New Member

That's true. That's why I try to control myself and pray before I do respond. Still, it doesn't change the fact it makes me hot.
    I have seen that alot too, that most people that make such hateful comments usually have had some bad experiences with Christians in the past.

5. David Singleton

David Singleton New Member

When someone blasphemes God is gets my back up and I sometimes feel like putting a knot on someones head for being ignorant. But one thing to keep in mind - Some people sometimes say things just to see if they can cause a stir. I was in a cafe having lunch with some of the men some years ago and the fellow in the next booth was going on and on about Christians he hated and ho he didnt believe in God. Inside I felt angry, but a little voice inside said anger too is a sin, So I turned around and said these words

"Are you OK? (yea, why) I was wondering if you were OK because you seem to be walking on very dangerous ground (what) The ground you walk when you defame the creator and his people is very dangerous, you see its true God exsist, and God loves you so much his son came to take away you sins on a cross of pain and suffering, before you become like the Christian Scientist who stands in Hell and continues to say Im not here, this place doesnt exsist, and we are all Gods, Remember He does exsist and He sees your every action and Knows your every thought and while he loves you and doesnt want you to burn, the choice is yours. If you deny Him, than He'll deny you!

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==No, I don't think that is wrong at all. God is our Father, creator, Savior, and friend. So it is "natural" (using that term carefully) to be angry when someone makes a backhanded remark about him. I hear such remarks on a regular basis in fact. It gets me angry but alot of times I just look at the source. Most people who make such remarks have very little information to base their remarks on.

==First I agree that these things should be no surprise to Bible believing Christians. Second how I respond depends upon the person making the remark. We have to be careful not to cast pearls before pigs after all (Matt 7:6). We have to be wise and prayerful in the way we respond to such things. If the person is just being a loud mouth I ignore them because they are usually looking for a response. I refuse to give them what they want. If, however, I think the person is voicing serious doubts/concerns then I will respond. However such a response will be measured, prayerful,direct and on subject (ie...I will not chase rabbits through the woods).

In Christ,
    Martin.

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I was once that person you are talking about.It brought me great joy to get a rise out of some Christian.I thought all Christians were weak ansd stupid.
    You can't be a light shining on the hill if you are angry or quit easily.

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have to admit that when I read philosophy that suggests that people that believe in God are ignorant or whatever, that does annoy me a little. Yet what I try to bear in mind is that these people that do mock God or Christianity are in darkness, and they act accordingly.

Jesus was mocked on the cross, yet one of those thieves went to eternal life in Paradise that day in spite of it. Imagine God's grace being poured out to that man in the midst of misery and humiliation.

Another thing that I have learned is that the person that mocks God today can often be the person that is kneeling at an altar recieving Him as their Lord and Saviour tommorow. It is our call to be used of God so that may be the resullt. If we are offended, we choose to be. Yet we can choose to persavere also.

9. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I tend to say something along the lines of, "As a Christian, I must say that I am very sorry that you feel that way, and very sorry that you have met Christians who lead you to feel that way. I hope and pray you will not judge Christ by the mistakes of people who try to follow Christ."

It fascinates me that often they will look ashamed and them tell me that from what they have heard, they really LIKE what Christ represented.

10. Rachel

Rachel New Member

When you hear people mock God and/or Christianity do you

say nothing? 0% (0)

say something sometimes? 54% (14)

say something everytime? 15% (4)

try to find out why they mock or ridicule? 50% (13)

never hear anyone mock God or Christianity 8% (2)

not sure 4% (1)

don't care 0% (0)

When you hear people mock God and/or Christianity do you

get very angry? 50% (13)

get a little angry? 31% (8)

not sure 15% (4)

don't care 4% (1)

11. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Good advice here, thanks everyone. [​IMG]

12. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good topic for discussion Rachel! You certainley have got alot of people thinking about a really interesting subject! [​IMG]

13. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Thanks Ben! It's definitely something I think about kinda often.

14. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

My belief is when I hear someone mock God or Christianity I should find out where they're coming from and how (hopefully) I can reach out to them. Getting really angry is only going to make them more defensive of their position and less apt to ever be open to the gospel. "There goes another one of those self-rightous fundamentalist christians."

15. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Very true! In fact, imo, getting angry only proves their preconceived notions of Christians and Christianity.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I hear people talk about Christianity in a negative way I am glad because it opens the dialog. Often I find is they see Christianity from what they see on TV. When I agree with them most of the time they are surprised. A few months ago a man made a comments about the "idiots on TV." I told him I agreed with him and I believe Jesus did too. After that initial interaction we had a dialog for about the next three hours. Since that time we have also have some other opporunities to talk. It was the start of winning him so I can talk with him and trust me to be honest with him.

If we listen, we open to door for more opportunities.

17. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Absolutely!