1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Modeling Molinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    which
    Let it not be said that I have not given every opportunity I can think of for the opponent to come clean or that I am unwilling to help him with his “problem”. Let’s try it this way:

First regarding your question, which revealingly assumes “if” God foreknows all things He must have determined all things and thereby this belief “causes” a tension for the opponent, tell me, “What is the truth that the Molinism argument is grounded on and that they stand on?”

1) On exactly “how” God can foreknow all things and not determine them because of this truth being logically presented as true through CCFs and thereby resting on His ability to do this through His knowledge while He maintains the attributes of both foreknowledge and LFW?

Or

2) On that God “does” foreknow all things and not determine them because of this truth being logically presented as true through CCFs and thereby resting on His ability to do this through His knowledge while He maintains the attributes of both foreknowledge and LFW?

If (1) you have used a fallacy in attempting to demand an answer to this question to your satisfaction of understanding “how” and are using this to make your conclusion that the argument of Molinism cannot be true based on a misrepresentation of the Molinist argument and are ignorantly or disingenuously asking this question while trying to appear to win the argument.

If (2) then you have once again disregarded the topic of this thread in asking this question which is to accurately reflect a model of the Molinist argument, your interest in “how” is noted and understandable, but the answer to your question being to your satisfaction has no bearing on whether or not the actual Molinist ground argument is true or not because your question does not apply to the grounding argument itself. It is a merely a fallacious demand which is intended to imply the Molinist argument does not stand in truth based on a misrepresentation of the Molinist argument.

If you honestly address my question showing you recognize the differences between your model and what your demands amount to pertaining to the actual Molinist grounding argument which they stand on and then I will give you an “explanation” of “how” God foreknowing all things and Him not determining all things “could” be true relating to the “actual” Molinist grounding argument which is logically proven to be true and thereby admitting your question is only following the presentation of the true Molinist grounding argument and true conclusion to that argument. I will then help a believer with his “problem”. Otherwise, I believe I will be inclined take your question as a none other than part of a continuous attempt to fallaciously win the argument through a misrepresentation you have made against Molinism and will not waste anymore time.

#41 Benjamin, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  2. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I would begin by pointing out it's flaws:

1.) That simply doesn't follow....It MAY be the case, that there is a world in which you did...but there might not be
    2.) You use of the word "imaginary" is telling...It seems to reveal that you believe that the actions of free creatures are conceived of in God's mind, rather than the mind of the creature themselves. What God "imagines" are the circumstances...What the creatures "imagine" are their own actions.
    Perhaps if you could analyze all those possible worlds, but, you can't...so you don't know that at all. It may not even be a reasonable assumption to make. There may indeed be no possible World wherein you EVER make that decision, or ever commit those sins.
    No...You only control your own actions in the world that he DID actualize. What World you find yourself in is God's choosing...What you do in that World is YOUR choosing.
    "Luck" is only meaningful when we assume complete randomness...Neither God's choice of "World" nor your individual actions have anything to do with "Luck".
    By demonstrating that the "tension" does not exist.

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

(HoS, in this reply I'm employing some third person verbage but only for the sake of conversation flow. I don't intend to put distance between us personally. Thank you for engaging in this conversation. It has brought about some thoughts for which until now I have not considered much deeper than a cursory observation, if even at all.)

(Also… I appreciate the fact that you did not think I meant to use the word 'imaginary' in a bad light. At first I thought you had. I can see how that word in this discussion can seem to be pejorative or loaded and may therefore communicate a meaning for which I do not intend. I will attempt to explain the concept differently but just know that if I use it again I'm not intending to trivialize or imbue it with meaning that would make the act look silly. Also, while responding to you I sensed that we need to confirm that prior to creation of all the possible worlds had their own complete set of 'history' and that any time we refer to 'an other world' then that world -with it's complete set of history- was actually one which he chose not to actualize.)

Thank you HoS. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Your reply has been helpful.

#1) Regarding:

HT's point: If it's possible that I may be able to commit an untold number of sins (which, I believe to be true for all of us) then there are imaginary worlds in which I commit one of those sins.
    HoS said, "1.) That simply doesn't follow....It MAY be the case, that there is a world in which you did...but there might not be
    I see what you're saying I think: In pure self contemplation, there may be sins that I imagine to be possible, but my thought of their potentiality doesn't mean that there is a world in which it did come about. If this is what you meant I say, 'good point, I agree.'

To further clarify our model, if the possibility to sin actually exists in this world it necessarily indicates that there is another world in which it did occur. Correct? This goes to the point for which we agree, "Among all possible worlds God chose to actualize this one." We don't know all the things that are possible but we do know at least some of them, correct?

#2) Regarding:

HoS said: 2.) You use of the word "imaginary" is telling...It seems to reveal that you believe that the actions of free creatures are conceived of in God's mind, rather than the mind of the creature themselves. What God "imagines" are the circumstances...What the creatures "imagine" are their own actions.

I'll grant you your point here. I think this raises some points of interest for which we might talk about later though. Just to make some of the problems known (I'm not expecting a reply right now… ):
    1) Are there possible alternative worlds in which there are people who never exist in this world?
    2) If there is a fallacy in thinking that the actions of free creatures are conceived in God's mind, rather than the mind of the creature himself, then it seems that it must be the case that the creature actually would exist in this world, correct? Otherwise we have God knowing the truth of a matter that is determined by a creature that never even exists to think thoughts and as such there would be no truth in the matter to be known by God.
    3) So, it is the case that God holds me accountable for actions I do in this world which he chose to actualize while I did not do those actions in some or all other worlds which he chose not to actualize.

(Again, I'm not looking for a reply to these right now, maybe later though I'll readdress these issues. Benjamin made some valid concerns above that I'd like to address but for now I'd just like to stay focused like a laser beam. There's so much for me to get distracted by in this whole conversation and I appreciate you journeying with me through it.)

#3) Regarding:

HT says: So, if we were [to] analyze all of the possible worlds in which I exist, we would see that I have committed all sins that were possible.
    HoS replies:perhaps if you could analyze all those possible worlds, but, you can't...so you don't know that at all. It may not even be a reasonable assumption to make. There may indeed be no possible World wherein you EVER make that decision, or ever commit those sins.
    I grant you that I can't analyze them and also that I'm not always aware of the possibilities of how I might act. I see what you're saying and if I may first reassert a point I made just above: If it is truly possible that I may act a certain way in this world then it is necessarily the case that there is a world in which I did act that way. So, if God were to make available to us all of the possible worlds in which I were to have existed, we would be able to then identify at least all of the sins that were possible for me to have committed in this world.

If this holds true then to further mold our model, we could propose that our world is the 'anchor' by which all other worlds would have had the ontological status of 'possible', correct? Therefore, if the obtainence of an event is not possible in this world, then while there may be other worlds in which said event occurs, those other worlds did not have the ontological status of 'possible'.

#4) Regarding:

HT says: I had no control over which world God chose to actualize.
    HoS replies: No...You only control your own actions in the world that he DID actualize. What World you find yourself in is God's choosing...What you do in that World is YOUR choosing.
    I find the following phrase of yours interesting and I don't want to understand it to mean something it doesn't: "you only control your own actions in the world that he DID actualize." I find this fascinating. It seems that on one hand I am not in control of the 'me' in other worlds yet on the other hand the assertion of self determination in the other worlds is a proof against which my actions in this world will be judged. The proof of an alternative self determining act is the evidence that justifies God holding me accountable in this world. Yet, Molinism states that I can not control my actions in other worlds? The self determining proof that "I" created is a determination in which "I" cannot control? Surely God only holds us accountable for actions in our control, for which we make a determining contribution, correct? It seems at first that Molinism would uphold the idea that there is a sense of a 'homogeneity of personhood' between the 'me' in this world and the 'me' in the other worlds, yet, I cannot control the actions of the 'me' in the other worlds. This causes me to consider whether it is even possible for the 'me' to be the same 'me' in the other world? This seems contrary to my intuition of what 'personhood' is. It seems to indicate that my personhood and character is not one of 'becoming' but one of revealing. This runs counter to my understanding of personal identity. I am of the opinion that free creatures are necessarily creatures for whom their character, that is to say their identity -who they are- is in a state of 'becoming'. It seems I would have to re-adjust my concept of the self if I were to accept Molinism. This seems to be a HUGE issue for which I have not given much thought yet, nor do I look forward to rebuilding my concept of the self, but I am at least willing to start if reality is so. However, it seems plausible that Molinism does not reflect reality... this is theology's task, correct? To create a model that reflects reality ? What is ontologically real is only what God thinks to be real. It can also be said this way, 'Our goal in theology is to present a model that better explains and reflects revelation.'

Regarding this phrase: " What World you find yourself in is God's choosing...What you do in that World is YOUR choosing." It seems to me that the meticulous providence of Molinism is demonstrated by the idea that every set of circumstances in which one finds himself to be is due to the meticulous and manipulative choosing of God, such that there is no set of circumstances in which anyone ever finds themselves that God did not choose to occur prior to creation. I'm not laying a claim of culpability here, I'm just recognizing that since something had to happen it is the case that everything that does happen in this world exists because of God meticulously choosing this world. So, observation that 'it' did happen is due to the fact that there was no other world which God would have been able to choose and still achieve his purposes.

#5) Regarding:

HT said: I guess I just got lucky that he chose this world, right?
    HoS replies: "Luck" is only meaningful when we assume complete randomness...Neither God's choice of "World" nor your individual actions have anything to do with "Luck".​

While I was saying this tongue-in-cheek, I think you make a good point. The act of sentient beings 'choosing' is not attributable to luck. It is interesting to consider though, that it seems according to Molinism there are some circumstances and events that could not be otherwise in order for God to achieve his purposes; that in this, he had no alternative choice in the matter.

#6) Regarding:

HT said: How does Mo manage this tension?
    HoS replies: By demonstrating that the "tension" does not exist.​

See my comments above.​

4. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m going to step back as I’m obviously not getting my points across, but will offer the below from notes hitting on % and possible worlds (being most of rest is in my words I'll leave that be as they seems to be mostly adding difficulties to the present directions desired here ;)) thinking them relevant to discussion at hand concerning “sovereign control” in possible worlds pertaining to the Molinist’ model in contrast to other models which hold to a “deterministic sovereign control” as a necessarily truth or related and thus relevant alternatives regarding forfeiture of foreknowledge. By what should be HT confirmed authentic Molinist:

William Lane Craig explains, "It is up to God whether we find ourselves in a world in which we are predestined, but it is up to us whether we are predestined in the world in which we find ourselves."

Keathley explains a scenario that fits in with the above using the ambulance analogy. “Imagine you wake up and discover that you are in an ambulance being transported to the emergency room. You clearly require serious medical help. If you do nothing, you will be delivered to the hospital. However, if for whatever reason you demand to be let out, the driver will comply. He may express his concern, warn you of the consequences, but he will abide by your wishes. You receive no credit for being taken to the hospital, you receive all the blame for getting out. This is a picture of the Molinist view of salvation.”

#44 Benjamin, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  5. Cypress

Cypress New Member

This is bizarre. All the logical hoops jumped through to explain the mere possibility that molinism and other possible worlds are true,when they should be easily understood from scripture. Why would we ever surmise about other possible worlds that God considered unless our system required them. It certainly is not warranted from scripture IMO.

6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture shows through Counterfactuals of Creaturely Freedoms that that all things are not pre-determined according to God's foreknowledge in creation as being logic. Molinism is merely expressing these things (LFW) are logically possible within the type of knowledge God has (not to exclude Him knowing all things) and giving explanations how this (logical conclusion) can be observed.

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, and in case you missed it, I believe us to be in agreement that it is rather bizarre that LFW and Divine foreknowledge aren’t accepted on "face value" since the sciiptures show both true. That’s good enough for me as the ole saying goes, “God said it, I believe it, and that settles it!” I guess “some people” just like to be difficult and want it explained logically. Pertaining to that, the second point I believe being missed by my opponent is that Molinism then stands on the grounds (model) that if it is logically true that it is seen in CCFs and if God exists and His Word is true then it follows that it is logically true that LFW and foreknowledge exist, again, that seems that also that would be enough to logically to except standing on the model and all that is left is trying to explain how it (this proven logic necessary truth) “could” or one might say “must” logically follow to be true that this true miraculous feat of God’s is related to His type of knowledge.

BTW, it seems you are understanding the point I’ve been trying to make about sticking to model according to what it is based on as true (scriptural CCFs) and if so, thanks, I then appreciate hearing someone was getting what I’ve been trying to explain and this makes me very happy that my time has not been completely wasted trying to put it into words! :smilewinkgrin:

#47 Benjamin, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  8. humblethinker

I agree with that but it does not distinguish Molinism but rather confirms that it is part of the bigger set of theology that affirms LFW.

9. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the ambulance model it is confirming LFW it also dispels determinism. That fact that the “driver” expresses his concerns and warns of the consequences confirms that he knows what things will happen due to the patient changing the circumstances (CCFs) thereby maintaining foreknowledge while allowing for LFW…These things (LFW + foreknowledge w/o determinism) distinguish the Molinism model from other views. Seems to me the model is complete.

10. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

#50 HeirofSalvation, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
  11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the Sovereignity of God as per the biblical model allow for ANYTHING that ver happens to either outside of His direct control though, or else permitted by his will to happen?

12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, are you talking about true Biblical Divine sovereignty which shows "God’s Providence and Sovereign Control over Divinely Designed LFW creatures" and Him genuinely allowiing for things to happen as per the Molinist model ...or the Calvinist/Determinist systematically forced "biblical interpretations" which insist on their beliefs that God could only be sovereign through practicing “Determinist Sovereign Control” according to the Determinist model that God causes all things to happen which leads to theological fatalism?

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    can anything ever happen that he either did not determine to happen? that he either did it Himself or else permitted it, and could have stepped in to stop it any time?

14. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a good question. If you go back throguh the thread (which the topic of is, "Modeling Molinism") CCFs have been discussed which relate to your question demonstating that things do happen which are not pre-determined and how that (CCFS) applies. Several times, as a matter of fact. ;)

Now, I see you diregarded my question which related to yours and had prurpose. It seems you might have missed how it relates. I'll explain; it was a hint that this thread in about "Modeling Molinism" not "Modeling Determinism".

This thread has managed to stay on topic for 6 pages. Knowing your habits to disregard the topic to input your agenda of Determinism which commonly leads into derailing threads; I was "heading you off at the pass" meaning giving you a friendly reminder that if you would like to "present" and "discuss" another model of God's sovereign control the right thing to do is start another thread on the subject or you could simply take your practice elsewhere as far as I am concerned.

I would like to keep this thread on topic. Do you now understand what I am saying to you and why I am saying it?

#54 Benjamin, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2012
  15. humblethinker

The self in the worlds of Molinism

Since my last post I've continued to consider the idea of the self and how it can be understood in the view of Molinism. In the view of OVT I do not find the difficulties that are arising with Molinism. So, some questions when I imagine that Molinism is the current reality:

How similar do the selves of the other worlds have to be in order to be the same self? How dissimilar can they be and still be considered the same self?
    Is there a transworld self identity that is homogenous? I'm having a hard time accepting the me of some of the other worlds as still being me.
    My view of the self is that I am a creature who is in the process of becoming. This 'becoming' is to some degree self determined. I am the person who made the specific choices in my life and these choices and the choices of other people on their own same progression are commingling and the self that I am is specifically not the self of other possible self determining acts. Imo, this life of self determining is part of God's way of sharing his creative ability with his creatures.

Are there other possible worlds in which the biological parents I have in this world are not the same parents?

Are there other worlds in which I don't speak English? That I was not male? Are there other worlds in which I was born a hermaphrodite? Are there other worlds in which my personality is not INTP but ENTJ... Or ISTP?

In all possible worlds must I have married the same woman as I have in this world? The "Oneness" which we are both currently engaged in and still becoming, how different can that be and how similar must it be compared to the other worlds and still be the same transworld "oneness"?

My idea of identity and the 'self' would seem to be obliterated if I were to accept Molinism. I need to be re-educated in what the 'self' is or have explained to me how Molinism is compatible with my understanding of the self. Can you suggest any reading on the topic in a Molinistic worldview?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    we seperate the predetermined Will of God though into that which he decreed and determined to be done, and that which he has permitted and allowed...

Do you see anything tht ever occurs without him still retaing soverengty over it?

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the idea of trying to divide the knowledge of God through some exercise of logic is asinine. Is this simply an attempt to justify the doctrine of "freewillism"?

#57 OldRegular, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2012
  18. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What difficulty is that? That if God foreknows all things he must have determined all things and OVT doesn’t have that difficulty because they forfeit foreknowledge? If not, how does OVT keep these “difficulties” from “arising”??? Rhetorical question...

The Molinist model maintains LFW (self identity), it does not disregard God’s sovereignty which is a view centers on God’s “provident control” (“management” of your LFW through His influences to draw you to Him, but not in disregard of your LFW) so “your self” is not violated through being placed in any certain world, God’s plan is to genuinely give you the Light you need to respond to His influences. His judgment in the matter of what world “you” end up in is on-going and His judgment at the end of the matter will righteously be just in that “you” have had the opportunity to accept His gift of salvation, freely.

So no, you do not have the kind of freedom to choose your own world. The kind of Divine sovereignty Molinism presents is that God “providently controls” (- with the purpose to influence you, not determine you) the worlds while you freely choose within those worlds. God’s judgment (provident sovereign control) is on-going in the matter:

William Lane Craig explains, "It is up to God whether we find ourselves in a world in which we are predestined, but it is up to us whether we are predestined in the world in which we find ourselves."

Maybe if applied how you think "your self" would not be maintained according to Keathley's Molinist model I could find specific reading on the the type of world view you are looking for.

Ahh, here's a thought: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0805431985/?tag=baptis04-20 I want this book myself having read clips from it.

#58 Benjamin, Dec 15, 2012
  19. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you have a better explanation of how does all He says He does while you maintain all His attributes, including that of foreknowlwdge? ...nevermind, this thread isn't about the "Determinist Model! Call it what you will, this action of yours doesn't discount the Molinist model in any way.

No, it is a system which works to maintain all of God's atributes, His "genuine" judgment of LFW creatures, and Provident Sovereign Control in the world.

20. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for you and your Determinist Model.

Probably best to just ignore your post, but I'll try to explain once more, but:

Please do not continue to neglect my careful explanation and request for you to show some simple respect for maintaining the subject of this topic:

Again, “Molinism” (the subject of the topic) maintains "God’s Providence and Sovereign Control over Divinely Designed LFW creatures" and Him genuinely allowing for things to happen as per the Molinist model”.

So by what should be clearly obvious if you bothered to read the thread, No, as per the Molinist’ model view of God’s sovereignty.

Now, once again, if you would like to discuss how the Molinist Model maintains “its” view of God’s sovereignty I would be glad to point you to prior posts which do so. BUT!!! If you are intent on “presenting and discussing” the “Determinist’ Model” in disregard of the topic of THIS thread those “trolling” types of “presentations” are NOT welcome here in this thread!

Why have you again disregarded the purpose of this simply put request?:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1933879&postcount=60

#60 Benjamin, Dec 15, 2012