1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modern Baal Worship Today?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Dec 28, 2008.

1. PeterM

PeterM Member

Not taking away your personal circle of influence up there in and around our nation's capital, but I question if your experience is the reality. I too know many who are currently fostering and have adopted, but I would not necessarily agree that it is a widespread trend in western churches. One day I hope it is...

When we are known for that rather than for the sidewalk stomping and sign carrying, then we will have gotten somewhere.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Although I think it's great for Christians to adopt, I don't think whether they do or not should stop us from being against abortion.

Face it, Christians will never be given credit for good things they do. Every Christian family in the country could adopt but there would be little or no praise or it would be reluctant, along with a lot of criticism.

We can't look to please men; that will never happen. Already Christians could be known for many good things, but the world is not going to recognize that, or if they do, they would not give credit to Christ. They like to harp on any deficiency - real or perceived - in Christians.

The world is under the sway of Satan. The world hates Christ.

3. PeterM

PeterM Member

It's not about pleasing the "world" or seeking their approval. For me it's about ensuring that I am fighting the war on all fronts... ending the tragedy of abortion, ending the tragedy of homeless and hurting children, and ending the tragedy of Western churches talking big but actually doing very little.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

People and churches can only do so much.

Many churches do what they can in their communities. Our church supports a pregnancy center, a Christian homeless shelter, and many other ministries. There are many churches who have clothes closets, help at homeless shelters, have soup kitchens, etc. This is nothing new.

As I said, very little credit is given for this. I'm kind of tired of hearing how churches or Christians should be doing these things when many already are.

Additionally, the primary charge to believers is to take the gospel into the world, so missions needs to be a priority. We can still do other stuff, but not at the expense of missions.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent.

The exact wording is Go ye therefore, and teach all nations . . . to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you.

The answer isn't for Christians to provide for and raise every child in the world, but to teach the women that they must mother the children they conceive, not murder them.

6. PeterM

PeterM Member

Well shucks Marcia... your preaching to the choir when it comes to the emphasis on missions, so no argument from me on that one.

As a SB pastor in TN, I know that there are over 40,000 SBC churches in the USA. You and I may have a slightly different definition of "many", but I can say with some degree of certainty that there is room for growth. With that said, I am grateful for every single believer, family, and church that embraces the ministry to widows and orphans.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

we do not financially qualify to adopt.

when you spread yourself too thin you are less effective in all areas.
    How many children have you adopted?
    How do you know just what each church is doing? HAve you asked all US churches? If not you can not make comment on what they are or are not doing?

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Modern baal worship today.

Today I read in the paper how people in Oregon were shocked that some one had wantonly shot and killed two eagles.

But the newspaper was not concerned about the 13,000 plus abortions/annum in their State.

The Bald and Golden Eagle Act of 1973 (same year as Roe v. Wade) and the following Acts which came out of it make it a crime punishable by a year in prison and a $100,000 fine to destroy an eagle egg (embryo).

A reward is offered for informants.

Not that I am for destroying these beautiful animals, the living symbol of our beloved nation. People who destroy them should be fined.

But where are our priorities when on the other hand, the destruction of a human embryo is not only legal but often times encouraged.

HankD

9. PeterM

PeterM Member

***double post*** sorry

#49 PeterM, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
  10. PeterM

PeterM Member

Not everyone is and that's OK. It does however make my point that the culture needs to change to broaden the opportunity for more folks to adopt if they want to.

In man's economy, that is certainly a valid argument. God's economy is a different animal... His resources are limitless. I try to not make decisions based solely on what I can see in front of me. If I am lead to do something, faith is a necessary component. I have to trust that if the Lord calls, the resources will be there.

There is no condemnation in my mind/heart, and I do not claim to have supernatural knowledge. When I am granted the platform, I cheerfully speak to the issues that we have discussed here as I see that there is room for growth and improvement.

That said, I am bowing out now that donnA has arrived.

11. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Emphasis mine!

A very important point that you have omitted in your previous posts, and one that makes a world of difference.

I have been guilty of following a path that I thought was ordained by God, only to see a big bad flop and then realize that I was following MY desires and assuming God would bless it.

Any time we jump ahead of God, and presume to "KNOW" His will w/out much prayer & meditation, we do neither of us a worthy service!!

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

That would be 2 children who were going to be aborted unless you adopted them?
    You can't claim christians aren't doing enough, comparing he rest of us to you unless you adorpted children who would have been aborted had you specifically, had not adopted them. As in talking someone out of an abortion if you would adlopt their child.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just let them be, donnA. The criticism that Christians aren't doing enough is just so much subterfuge. The goal of those who level such a criticism is to silence those who are raising their voices and to mask the murder in their own hearts.

Marcia hit the nail on the head when she said it doesn't matter how much good Christians will do, the world will hate and villify them anyway.