1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modesty in Medical Settings

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by PrivateWoman, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm on the other side, actually both sides of this coin.

Going into the field of physical therapy I figured most of my job would consist of showing people exercises and getting them to do them. Now that I’m into the meat of my education I’ve recently discovered I do a whooole lot more than that while testing. This is a very “hands on” field which includes palpations that involves lots of up close and personal muscle and joint testing, much of this around the pelvic girdle and hip muscles because these control gait and such. Now, I understand why this is necessary, but when I see these lab curriculums coming up I can’t help to be really nervous about it. I have to practice on both genders and if one was to refuse to participate in the lab exercises they would obviously be removed from the program. I figure this will eventually become second hand but for now I must admit it is pretty intimidating and gives me quite a bit of anxiety. :eek:

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Wow Benjamin. I'd be anxious too. Are you going into a specialized field of PT or is this part of the overall training? I only had PT when I had a compound fracture in my wrist and everyone was a hand or arm injury. Also, at first, there was more contact with the therapist and then as I learned the routine, I checked in, went in and did the exercises myself without much help. He checked me periodically to record my progress.

3. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah, it's part of the training which includes the whole body. I suppose some fields of practice do focus on different or specialized areas of interventions though.

My schooling has been very challenging lately all the way around, but it's also very exciting to be learning all this stuff. I love it and feel like a duck that has discovered water.

Last week the silly girls were giggling when I was searching for their Anterior Inferior Illiac Spine, THIS DOES NOT HELP!

#43 Benjamin, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
  4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Ha - great discovery!

5. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the PT reevaluated you he did some palpation of the muscles and joints, no?

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't remember exactly what happened. It's been about 10 years ago now. I remember certain parts - like the guy that almost cut off his his fingers with his impressively sharp knife and some of the gadgets and gizmos that I used to regain mobility. I remember my therapist. He'd just had returned to work after major surgery himself. Very nice guy with little stamina.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm sorry, what were you saying?

:D :D

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's awesome Benjamin!! My friend is a PT professor/practitioner and she's also now an author and speaker. You can look her up - Lisa Morrone and her website is www.lisamorrone.com LOVE her as a PT. She just treated me for my herniated disc and she was the PT who got my husband to walk again after a major injury to his foot. :)

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I forgot. Can we start all over or is my session time up?
    :tongue3:

10. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Hey! Your friend is like a role model to where I’m striving to get, as close as I’ve seen, actually. Love that she works in Christian thought and spiritual matters into this profession of healing; I plan to work along the same lines. Like her, I am big on “wellness” and promoting lifestyle changes for a longer and better quality life. I’m working on a BA degree in Health Science and Wellness in Physical Therapy while I earn my PTA degree. I don’t know if I will attempt to get my Doctorate; although, with the training and experience I’m getting it would be a great advantage in dealing with that curriculum. I started this in later life and I’m not getting any younger though so think I will wait and see where God leads me. Right now, I’m leaning toward personal training as a side line.
    Thanks, I really believe in the benefits of this field and as I sit here feeling overwhelmed in my studies I needed that shot in the arm today.

11. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is quite true. It does not matter if other folk think you are silly, it is not their body. It ain't fun having flashbacks because of some smart alek nurse or doctor implying that you are being precious or juvenile.:tear: