1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modesty

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gerald285, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

This was your line, not mine:

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblically speaking?

Genesis 38

(13) "And it was told Tamar saying, 'Behold thy father-in-law goeth up to Timnath to shear his sheep'"
    (14) "And she put her widow's garments off from her, and covered herself with a veil, and wrapped herself, and sat in an open place........."
    (15) "When Judah saw her, he thought her to be a harlot because she had covered her face."
    (16) "And he turned unto her by the way, and said, 'Go to, I pray thee, let me come in unto thee;....."

#282 Scarlett O., Jan 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes
    [​IMG]

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well, I guess he judged wrong didn't he?

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

ummm, no, he didn't judge wrong.......she dressed like a harlot, she meant for him to see her that way, and then she acted like one.......how did he judge wrong?

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

lol

yours is a true gift, and one which you use well!
    :laugh:

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Argh! My dyslexia at play. I'm constantly dropping words. Usually I catch them when I reread the post, but not always. The post should read "how to cover our bodies or how much to cover".

#287 menageriekeeper, Jan 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2007
  8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Oh, oh, oh, I know the answer to this one! Go back an reread the passage about Tamar, finish the chapter:

Ge 38:24And it came to pass about three months after, that it was told Judah, saying, Tamar thy daughter-in-law hath played the harlot; and moreover, behold, she is with child by whoredom. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt.Ge 38:25When she was brought forth, she sent to her father-in-law, saying, By the man, whose these are, am I with child: and she said, Discern, I pray thee, whose are these, the signet, and the cords, and the staff.Ge 38:26And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She is more righteous than I; forasmuch as I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Well, I figured it must have been a typo. So, moving on, acknowledging that God does require us to wear clothes, how do we determine what is ok for a Christian woman to wear and what is not? What was God's purpose in covering their nakedness, and could that same purpose be accomplished with a can of spray paint?

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

of course, mk.......but she still did wrong. The end of the passage isn't saying she was righteous, it is saying that Judah was MORE wrong than she was. Its not like she accidentally dressed like a harlot. She was doing it on purpose specifically in order to trap Judah. She knew what she was doing.

I mean it's not like I disagree with you really, mk........of course our salvation isnt judged by God based on what we are wearing. I just don't get what she meant by Judah judged Tamar wrong in this instance, that's all.

btw, there are verses that talk about nakedness being the thigh, and there is thought that "thigh" included the entire upper leg all the way down to the knee....just like "palm" included what we call the wrist and forearm.

#290 bapmom, Jan 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He judged her wrong because that's not what was in her her heart. She didn't do this for a living. She didn't get paid for "services rendered". She only wanted back in the family. She never did this again....in fact, she never had sex again. She and Judah both, after the birth of the twins were celibate the remainder of their lives.

Genesis 38:19 - "And she arose, and went away and laid by her veil from her and put on the garments of her widowhood."

It wasn't her fault that Ur was evil and that Onan was greedy.

It wasn't her fault that Judah lied to her about the youngest son and sent her away, intending never to see her again nor take care of her.

It was her fault that she felt backed into a corner and made the wrong decision as to how to get back into the family. But as a woman, in those days, to get the attention of the patriarch of the family, she felt she had no other option....at least with Judah anyway. Does that justify her actions....no!

Do her actions make her a whore?.....No. Proverbs 7 gives the description of a whore and a harlot's heart.

Judah himself, when he realized that he was the father, said (verse 26), "She hath been more righteous than I; because that I gave her not Shelah my son. And he knew her not again."

She was not more righteous because she acted like a harlot to get her security of being back in the family. The ends do not justify the means. She was more righteous in spite of it.

That's because she did not have a harlot's heart.

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

So do we take a relative statement of righteousness as license to dress and act like a harlot?

Matthew 10:15
    15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment, than for that city.

Does this mean sodomy is ok? Of course not. The fact that Tamar was, er, excused for her actions doesn't make it right. And I didn't see her listed in Hebrews 11 for it.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

This thread has reached the BB limit of 30 pages and will be closed.

Blackbird, Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.