1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modesty

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gerald285, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

posted in error

2. Joe

Joe New Member

Quotes (answers) by gerald concerning my wife

"He said she was his wife and there is no need for him to be saved to protect her honor. Any man who allows or encourages his wife to flaunt her sexuality is lettle more then a pimp. Perhaps not in the literal sence but in practice"
    _____________________________________________________________________________

I am not a pimp in the literal sense or practice. You are so far out of line and I deserve an apology. Wearing a mini skirt does not equal my wife flaunting sexuality. Nor I do not allow/encourage her to do this.

You assume wrong. I recall the Pastor's wife dressed similar to my wife, and this is likely why he had no problems with her dress. The Pastor was new to the church at the time so his standard was not kept.
    "Another way to tell whether a skirt is in fact a mini is to check if the wearer can reach past the hemline of the skirt with her ring and index finger while standing straight; if The mini was the defining fashion symbol of "swinging" London in the 1960s"

Then my wife's skirt is not a mini. It's a bit longer than this. You HAD to add the "swinging" orgins of the mini skirt, interesting...
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    "However if a woman claims to be saved and continues to tempt her brothers there is every reason to believe thta she makes a false claim. It would be no different then if a man was continually trying to seduce women"

Wearing a mini skirt doesn't equal tempting others, or seducing anyone. My wife didn't do either
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    "A pure heart would accept the rebuke and welcome it. Yes a new Christan may not be totally aware of their offense, but the heart change would render them with joy over correction, not anger.[/QUOTE]"

Then you won't mind giving me that apology I asked for? :wavey:

#42 Joe, Dec 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006
  3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Joe, this guy is not worth our time.

Whether Gerald is a troll, flamer or merely misguided, I have better things to do than waste my time in an arguement that will do nothing to further either of our spiritual growth. My views are well stated in the previous, settles nothing, threads.

The reason this issue and others like it cannot ever be put to bed is that certain individuals can't stand the idea that maybe, just maybe God intends for us to use the intelligence and the guidance of the Holy Spirit that He bestowed upon us and decide things for ourselves. They had rather there be hard and fast rules to follow because then they think they won't ever have to stand before God and explain themselves. "Well I said unloving things on the internet to Joe because, well errr, his wife wore a mini skirt! That made him a pimp! If he'd just have listened to me and put her in a skirt.....Oh, the second greatest commandment is love thy neighbor? I supposed I missed that one, but I followed all the other rules!"

Somehow, I don't think that will do. I'm certainly glad though, at the end of the day, I can get on my knees and review the day with my Father and that He is certainly faithful and just and offers the same opportunity to all.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What MK said. :thumbsup:

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

If your Hubby s anything like me, He and your Children are blessed to have you in the house. I have zero mechanical aptitude and even failed at putting the curtain rods back up after the wife painted.

I tried helping move me into the parsonage years ago, they ended up sending me for Chicken.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

LOL, LeBuick!

I'm sure my husband could have put that scooter together, just not as quickly as I wanted it done! :D I like instant gratification and just didn't see waiting till his show was over!

But, my background is engineering and my dad thought I was a second son instead of an only daughter so I learned early to swing a hammer and use wrench! There's not much I don't know how to do or can't figure out. There are some things beyond my strength or that aren't expedient for a lady, but helpless wasn't listed on my sheet of charater traits. :laugh:

It's come in handy too, since T is on call 24/7 and is gone from home more than he is here. When he is here, a stack of mundane things like putting together a scooter that took all of two twists of the wrist, is not what he is looking forward too.

Right now he's looking forward to watching a movie with yours truely, so I'm outta here!

7. Joe

Joe New Member

I agree MK & Scarlett. It's probably a waste of time to continue. As for you two ladies, I like you both very much. Know I am NOT wearing a mini skirt at the moment! :smilewinkgrin:

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what were they teaching/preaching? That a change from what existed was wrong... but what existed wasn't what existed in the context in which scripture was written.

Do you think they spent alot of time instructing them on dress length or whether they should wear pants? Or maybe it was more about their behavior than appearance?

Every Christian should endeavor to behave and produce an outward appearance that glorifies God and edifies others... and specifically does not tempt them to sin. That falls well short of any manmade standard concerning specifically how a woman or man's clothing should be designed.
    It isn't. Here you go: Don't overdress in a way that puts on an air of superiority. Don't dress in a way that would cause someone else to stumble/lust. Don't follow the latest styles and fads when they identify you with the world.

If women wearing pants in fact did that in the past, I think you can safely say they don't now. So the new biblically relevant questions are those given above- Will I be viewed as uppity? Will I tempt someone else? "What is modest for me isn't modest for you."
    You're right. The Bible didn't say specifically what the design for clothing should be for men and women... and for much of the Bible period both sexes wore very similar basic garments.
    The principles are absolute. The application of them may change.
    The Word doesn't say a single word about women wearing pants and as mentioned the basic garments in biblical times were about as unisexual as men's and women's pants now.

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does it represent? I have sided against the legalists but this sounds like your belief and possibly that of your wife of what others should think or feel. That isn't at issue. If she is wearing clothing that unreasonably whets the lustful appetites of men who look at her then she shouldn't. Many if not most men are tempted to look at a woman's legs and other parts if possible when they wear a mini-skirt. You may not like it or think it but it is a fact.

Some men will always find a way to lust... but that doesn't relieve a woman's responsibility to cover herself well and make a reasonable effort to avoid tempting him. And yes, there are reverse occasions as well.
    How do you know that? Did you carefully watch other men around her? Did any struggle to keep their eyes away?

The best way I know how to respond to any of this is the way I responded to a teen boy who was into the fadish dress of today. I simply asked him if his purpose was to glorify God with the way he dressed and behaved. I asked him if he thought it identified him with Christ. He of course tried to rationalize but even he knew he failed.

The simple question perhaps your wife and you should ask is: Does her dress style glorify God or her?

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did Rosie the Riveter wear pants or a dress when she worked?

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

She wore neither. Rosie the riveter was a marketing persona and did no actual work as she was not real. The garment depicted in the marketing to encourage women to wear that which pertaineth to men and to become more like men were overalls.

12. Joe

Joe New Member

Excuse me honey, but does your dress style glorify yourself OR god? She would either slap me or take my temperature :laugh: This is a woman I drag to church. Actually, she does it as a favor to me. Let's not make it worse.
    I am not her father, I am her husband. I do not dress her but do make suggestions from time to time. I will not deliberately look to see who is struggling and looking away from her for whatever reason. She is responsible and dresses fine.
    I didn't just fall off a turnip truck yesterday. ***Remark removed***. You easily spew out others godly responsibilities yet have you looked down at your pants lately? ***Remark removed*** Make sure you do! They have eyes too. Seriously, do you see how silly this? Some posters here seem to have an unhealthy sexual obsession masqarading as something of god. Thank you for your post, and your thoughts.

#52 Joe, Dec 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2006
  13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

C'mon! Be nice and watch the 'name-calling'! Ya gotta' understand the difference betwen a dyed-in-the-wool legalist and a troll! :rolleyes:

Ed

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

While you are correct on 'marketing persona' bit, the inspiration for "Rosie" was a real-life single mother with two kids, who had been widowed at an early age, leaving little choice but to get a job. In this case, she was a real-life Ford Motor employee named Rose Monroe, who was a riveter on B-24 and B-29 aircraft, in Michigan. (As a riveter, she was likely wearing coveralls for protection from the hot rivets, when she was observed.) Rose Monroe, the real-life "Rosie the Riveter" died in 1977 at the age of 77.

Ed

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :thumbs: Me neither! Not ever!

Ed

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Bingo! :thumbs:

Ed

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You are absolutely correct, here. :thumbsup:

Ed

18. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

The only real criteria a "Christian" has for the way he/she dresses or conducts their life is given to us by the Holy Spirit through the Word of God. If this lady is comfortable showing her body to the public so be it. She is the one that will (if she IS a Christian) stand before the Lord Jesus at the Judgement Seat of Christ and give an account for it. If it's right to wear revealing clothing then she will have no problem.

19. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

Never met rosie, but if she were a Christian she would need to be modest no matter where she was, work or play. Pants may or may not be modest. It depends on what is put into them. Here is a link to a site that offers pictures of different levels of clothing to determind modest dress. http://www.saunalahti.fi:80/~mitt/decency/part1.htm

Also on my web page there are some modest clothhing links listed under links if there is a question as to what modesty is. Sadly today most women clothe themselves like a street walkers with cleavage showing and thin, tight, or both clothing so that others can see their underwear or body configuration. The intent is clear and it is to draw attention to their bodies which is sin.

20. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

:laugh: That is truly one of the most funny sites I have seen in a long time. Five pages of that junk. If that isn't a parody, it certainly is indicative of someone with an obsession and way too much free time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.