1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modesty

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Since I currently have 2 bible study programs open studying for Su. sch. I thought I'd quickly look. I read each time thigh is found in the bible and could not find a verse like this. But maybe someone else can come up with something. Maybe the person who said it will post the verse they have in mind.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well, I'll agree that "naked ain't modest" but I haven't found the verse as you are referring to, in the Word of God, be it in your preferred version, or another.

Got any reference from somewhere that doesn't refer only to the garb that was to be worn by the Aaronic priests? That is what that entire chapter is talking about, you realize.

Incidentally, the verse says nothing about the thigh being uncovered, but only that these were to cover "from the loins 'unto' the thighs" according to the KJV. (The NKJV is apparently slightly more "concerned with modesty" than is the KJV, for it reads "from the waist to the thighs."). None of the versions on Bible Gateway read "over" the thigh, or "cover the thigh!

Ed

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You may see the need to apologize for the statement, in your own mind, but I believe it was an accurate assessment. Any man who is "looking" and finds fault with an otherwise modestly dressed woman because she is wearing an over the shoulder strap on a pocketbook, on a woman, does have serious lust issues, IMO.

Ed

4. Joe

Joe New Member

I was way out of line, I apologized, it's done.

What verse is it Ed?

5. Joe

Joe New Member

Thanks Donna
    It sounds like Ed knows what he is referring to

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

C.J Mahaney´s message is much much MUCH better than that article. Its balanced and address the issue of modesty from the perspective as a matter of the heart.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Although I feel like it is a matter of the heart. It also might leave some thinking they can judge the heart based on what they see a person wearing today.

8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Isaiah 47:2Take the millstones, and grind meal: uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers.
    3Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen: I will take vengeance, and I will not meet [thee as] a man.

I'd be real careful about taking up an offense for some one else.

Maybe he is honest and fully understands the idealologies of most men

Here's a portion of the word of God with which his statements directly coincide:I Tim 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

According to the word of God there is an example of what a "true Christian woman" should look like.

When we study the words "modest apparel" we find the meaning of being "loose-fitting and flowing".

This carries the conotation of a measure as to prevent exposing even an outline of those areas most noticed by men, who just so happen to find real women attractive, but do also fall into lustful situations when these areas are revealed in any manner. If this wasn't true, then a "wet teeshirt" contest wouldn't draw so many men to come to view.

A recent instrument for "ladies" apparel outlets has incorporated the use of a camera so the wearer of certain clothiong can see what she looks like as she walks away from those who just might be looking at her backside.

I wouldn't be so naive to even think that a woman who reveals her thighs wouldn't also draw this man's attention, and my attention would not then be noticing her godliness.:wavey:

Studying out Isaiah 47 does nothing but reveal that this nakedness is to her shame and not to her beauty.

Failure to see these verses as if this isn't nakedness as in uncovering the thigh, is directly against the teaching of the word of God.:praying:

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You can.:thumbs:

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Since man has reached the point in time of the present lack of morality, any attempt to avoid causing the ideas of immorality should be excercised as a preventative measure , not a liberty of the one who wears clothing.

You gotta admit, Mother Tereasa would less draw attention than Brittany Spears by the way each dresses in the area of lust. A general opinion would most likely be that if no one knew who the two actually are, the conclusion would be valid in the assumption that Brittany doesn't have a very clean heart.

#30 Salamander, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Um, what if the "over-the-shoulder strap" helps the outline of the breast to be more noticable?

Anything that details a woman's breast, or breasts, draws attention to that particular breast, or breasts.

If a woman's breasts aren't a BIG feature that draws a man's attention, then why do we see so many women trying to get away with exposing as much breast as possible???

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Cause all women are sluts and should be shot in the public square. :laugh:

Sorry. I just get tired of the woman bashers. And no I don't think women should expose their breasts.

13. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

"Christian" men and women today have no sense of modesty. In fact, the "Christian" men and women wear the same thing to church that they wear at home. I can't walk in my Baptist church without seeing someone's bare back, bare shoulders, half-bare breasts, low cut shorts, open-toed shoes, tight pants, skirts, dresses, slacks, etc., and you get my drift. What ever happened to the women wearing the skirts and dresses and the men wearing the pants? Today, most of the women wear the pants (literally) and the sodomites are trying to get it approved (some states have) for them to wear dresses and skirts. The teenage boys think that they are a hot mess coming to church in their latest style of shorts and Ta's with the flip flops and all. The teenage girls are there dressed like whores from Bourbon street. Where is God in any of this?

Do you really want to know the sad part? It's the people that call themselves "Christians" and part of the family of God that are doing this. I don't care what kind of "relationship" you have with God, but the God out of the King James Bible would not allow a women to be dressed in none other than a skirt and a free-flowing "modest" shirt or dress and the man in pants and a "modest" shirt.

Can any of you (with Biblical scripture, King James that is) tell me why God would allow His people to dress the same way the whores do and the men dress like the women and women dress like the men?

If so, please entertain me.

14. nunatak

nunatak New Member

This is the most ignorant, idiotic post I have read today. Thank you!

15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I believe that Bro. Shane gives a good example of a diatribe.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Christian men need to learn self control, it is one of the fruit of the spirit.
    Women should not expose their breasts. But when a man looks close enough to see a contour under a womans clothes, he's looking too close. He's got some praying to do.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Open toed shoes??:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did you know that in bible times they wore sandals?

Mar 6:8 And commanded them that they should take nothing for [their] journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in [their] purse:
    Mar 6:9 But [be] shod with sandals; and not put on two coats.
    (KJV........of course)

#37 Amy.G, May 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2008
  18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We had one sister who wore here dress really low cut and a lot of the breasts showing and she always placed her hand on her breasts and say " I have a heart full of love", drawing even more attention to her breasts. Well, she was talked to, about showing so much "love". That was over thirty years ago.

BBob,

#38 Brother Bob, May 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2008
  19. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly right. Why has it resurfaced again? Wasn't there enough about this last time around? Come on folks, google is your friend. We've already been there done that. Stop beating a dead horse, PLEASE.

20. Joe

Joe New Member

I wonder what would happen if one of you posted similar, very graphic dress attire guidelines for us men :D

That would be funny.... LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.