1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Moffatt & R.V. Translations

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by IveyLeaguer, Dec 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Is anyone familiar with a Moffatt translation, or perhaps scriptural notes or something he authored? I keep running across the Moffatt 'translation' of certain scriptures like this one today:

Phillipians 1:20 - My eager desire and hope being that I may never feel ashamed, but that now as ever I may do honour to Christ in my own person by fearless courage.

To me, that is a very interesting take - thus my aroused interest.

Similarly, the "R.V." translation, which I assume means an early 'revised version' of the KJV as it seems to closely follow it.

Thanks, and Godspeed to everyone in the new year.

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

On Moffatt:

On the Revised Version:

And on the American Standard Version, the American counterpart of the English Revised Version:

Does this information answer your questions?

3. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Does it ever. Thoroughly and completely.

Thanks very much, Keith. God bless you, Brother.

4. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Not a problem, IveyLeaguer! Glad to be of some assistance!

BTW, you mentioned the RV in your OP. Have you found an online version by any chance? I have been looking for an online RV for years, but all I have ever found is the ASV and many of the later versions. Of course there are web sites which offer many of the pre-KJV versions (Geneva, Bishops' etc.) but I would really like to find the RV online.

5. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

No, I haven't found an online version but would love to. Let's be sure to post it here if we find one.

There is a tool that will import certain online Bibles into an e-Sword module and the R.V. should be patent-free. That's what I would really like, an R.V. module for e-Sword.

I don't care for different versions just to have them but I like having the serious translations - you know how sometimes just the slight difference in wording stimulates a deeper look into the scripture even though it is saying the same thing. And the R.V. quotes I've seen have sometimes been that way.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.