1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mohammed was a Christian?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by lindyman, May 5, 2005.

1. lindyman

lindyman New Member

Below is a commment by BobRyan in the "Why are we so sure??" topic. I didn't want to derail it so I started a new topic.

I have never heard that Mohammed was a Christian before starting Islam. Can someone please provide evidence of this statement?

Thanks!

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I don't think I'll call him a Christian, but I have heard that Mohammed's original intention was to teach about Christ.

I was told that he taught that Christ was a prophet of God, and that he taught the basic message of Christ, minus the fact that Christ was Messiah. Followers of Mohammed twisted his message, and somehow made Mohammed the prophet.

What he taught was not the real message of Christ, and I would not call him a Christian, but what he taught was much more similiar to Christian teachings that what Islam is today.

3. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

If he was he was a lousy evangelist.

David

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He was a demon-possessed man committing what today would be child abuse and rape, as well as adultery, anc clearly used of Satan to start one of the most ungodly religions on the face of the earth. One doesn't become a Christian and then back out of it. The thought is preposterous.

What happened is that originally Mohammed travelled with his uncle from town to town. They would stop in the city centers, and there he would listen to Bible stories as told by either Jews or Christians. The "one-God" religion of the Jews and Christians impressed him as oppossed to the animistic, polytheistic religions of the nations surrounding him, and of the culture in which he was raised. When he married, he married a Jew, much older than himself. It was after that that he began to receive "visions." Mohammed himself attributed these visions to evil spirits. He was right. But it was Khadija, his wife, that convinced him otherwise--that they were not of the devil, but of God. Thus began the origins of Islam--born right out of the pit of hell.
    DHK

5. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

Wonder if he was a Baptist first?

6. David Michael Harris

Maybe?

Nah not possible.

David

7. David Michael Harris

Actually I need to share this.

Since moving to the South of France I have had much contact with Arab people and have made some Arab friends. Abdel and Marie for instance, I went to their wedding. A lovely couple very much in love and always kind and hospitable to me.

Not Christian though. Marie's ( who is French ) father is a OT man and constantly sings, 'Let my people go' [​IMG]

The point is, Abdel is Morrocan and Islamic born but he is like a person from the UK who would say he is COE ( Church of England )

This is why as Christians we must never be prejudiced. They do not know any better.

Christ is for all, not just English speaking people.

David

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Absolutely, Christ is for all. That is why it is our obligation to win them to Christ. We love the sinner, but abhor the sin (and sinful religion). My post was not directed against any Muslim, except the founder of the religion itself.
    DHK

9. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

What Muhammad was technically would have been a Messianic Jew. He tried to reform Judaism, and accepted Jesus as Messiah (And he did; because He is called "Jesus the Messiah" all through the Koran). Of course; it was the Sonship and deity that he, along with the Jews saw as compromising monotheism, and creating a "partner" with God. Part of this was the problem of the Christians; who did make not only Jesus, but also Mary (practically filling in the role of the "third person") seem lke partners. Then he copied other concepts without verifying them as well. The name used for Jesus, "Isa" is taken from the name "Esau", which the Jews contemptuously used for Jesus.
    At first; he kept a Jewish practice, even retaining Jerusalem as the holy city. But when the Jews did not accept him, he turned against them, and then made Mecca the holy city, and have remained largely antogonistic to them to the present.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The title that he gave Jesus is totally irrelevant. He did not believe in Christ either as the Messiah, or as the Christ. He was a demon-possessed wickend man, with nothing but evil designs upon his mind. Titles mean nothing if they don't have true intent.
    DHK

11. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

He did believe Jesus was Messiah; but didn't understand fully what that meant. ("Christ" is just the Greek for "Messiah")
    Yes, ultimately, the intent is what is important; but we should at least be accurate about the title.

12. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am not sure that Muhammad was a Christian in intent. Yet had we been alive in his time there is a good chance that a number of us would have been his followers. People may see what he did as wicked, yet you have to understand that society was far more wicked in those times, and what he did was actually improve society to a large degree.

The church was largely veneered over the local religions, the churches were wicked themselves and treating people in a heinous manner. Muhummad organised against this group who were putting down the poor through tax, and idol worship, similar to what Martin Luther fought against. Muhummad put an end to child sacrifice, people look at the maximum four wives policy in Islam but do not understand that prior, people had many more wives than that, and often the brides were very young child brides, Muhummad put an end to all of this.

Bear in mind that many developments occured in Islam well after the death of Muhummad, including the splintering into denominations - Sunni, Shiite, Druze, Sufi, Kharijis, Zaidis, Ismilis etc, people are often unaware of the large number of denominations within Islam that all have a different interpretation.

We are Baptist, yet Protestant, well you can be one denomination of islam and be Shiite also.

13. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Since Mohamed did not actually write anything it is hard to find out what "he believed" before he claimed to have the vision talking to the angel and trashing Christianity.

But history does indicate that he was Christian and that in fact, the middle east, Egypt and that entire region was solidly Christian "before" he got his ideas about "an angel" and the "bad Bible" and "evil Paul".

In Christ,

Bob

14. lindyman

lindyman New Member

Bob-
    Thanks for replying. I guess what I'm looking for is WHERE in history does it indicate he was christian? Can you give me specifics?

Thanks

15. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member