1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mohler and Yoga: Your Take

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Oct 7, 2010.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yoga burns less calories than ironing - it's not a great way to burn calories.

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I'm sure your right, and I am not a fan of yoga myself. My only point is I know some people will do it for a physical benefit and not for any kind of mystical reasons whatsoever.

3. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

I agree. My point is that its not really yoga anymore. They (and others) may call it that, but the movements totally separate from the meditation, relaxation techniques, visualization, etc. are not yoga in any meaningful sense regardless of what label the person may choose to use. That may change if future, but today such a usage is definitely non-standard. Not everyone may recognize the distinction but it still makes perfect sense to make the distinction.

Until a significant number of yoga teachers and promoters begin to hold that yoga can be nothing more than exercise, calling the exercises alone yoga remains a non-standard usage. As it is, I am hard pressed to find *any* yoga promoter/teacher who refrains from identifying yoga with some mental or spiritual exercise and/or benefit.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Christian meditation a person tries to clam the mind, clear the mind if you will, so that God can talk to him/her. Meditation is listen for God to speak.

We in the West need to reclaim Christian meditation. Too many are afraid of the word and we have lost much in not practicing Christian meditation.

In honesty, I believe far too many Christians are afraid that God will speak to them and tell them something they do not want to hear. Just IMHO.

5. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Here we may just have to agree to disagree. My view of Christian meditation would vehemently deny that it involves a clearing of the mind. I would hold that Christian meditation is an act of filling the mind with truth, not clearing it of anything. Filling it so much with truth that there is no room for untruth.

But I respect your view while very much disagreeing with it.

6. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Of course, that also raises the question...If the direct physical benefit of yoga is extremely small for the amount of time and effort involved, then is it reasonable for someone to claim that they do it only for the physical benefit? I am not saying they are lying, but if the direct physical benefits of the forms are minimal, then it only emphasizes that calling the exercise alone 'yoga' is a non-standard usage.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why turn to "Yoga" no matter what it is under the label?​

Proverbs 3
    5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
    7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
    8 It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.​

Proverbs 4
    19 The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.
    20 My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.
    21 Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.
    22 For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.​

HankD​

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Muscle tone.
    Keeping muscles limber.
    Keeping joints mobile.
    Reducing muscle and/or joint pain.

Same reasons a person would take classes in palates, exercise classes, walking ... keeping the body in shape.

9. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

If all it is is another form of exercise (and nothing more), then why not use it? We shouldn't 'turn to' anything thing, true, but that applies equally to any form of exercise. Since I doubt you would use those verses to say we shouldn't exercise, then they are invalid for denying the use of a form of exercise called "yoga".

IOW, what is under the label IS important.

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God can fill it only after we clear it of the junk of the day that flits through the mind most of the time.

I see your statement as a goal of meditation.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes what's under the label is important but if the label itself is directly related to idolatry then IMO it taints what is under the label.

With so many alternatives available we should do as the word of God directs and leave it in God's hands to direct us into the path of physical health without compromising our walk.

The principle is faith. No matter what we do it should be of faith.

Romans 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

If an individual Christian can adopt/wear/bear the label of "Yoga" in good faith, so be it.​

NAS 1 John 5:21 Little children, guard yourselves from idols.

HankD​

12. kfinks

kfinks Member
    Site Supporter

I would disagree regarding the direct physical benefit of yoga. When the poses are done properly, there is significant strength and/or flexibility and balance involved. The core muscles are consistently engaged and other large and small muscles groups are used to transition and support. In my experience, the physical benefits are significant and supplement my other forms of exercise. If you don't think the poses are strenuous, come spend an hour and half with me on some Sunday afternoon and I can prove otherwise.

HOWEVER, I participate in no type of meditation. I am too busy trying to maintain form to think about anything else. If the term "yoga" involves meditation, then I am not doing "yoga".

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If they are so strenuous why do they burn just about 200 calories in an hour? Just casual walking burns more than that.

14. kfinks

kfinks Member
    Site Supporter

Try some of the poses. It won't take long to find out how difficult some of the poses are to hold for 30-60 seconds. Wii Fit has yoga without any of the extra garbage.

I question that figure because it is not clear what is being measured. "Yoga" is a broad term encompassing different styles. I have a good feel for what is strenuous. I started the yoga poses while going through P90X workouts. I also run 25-30 miles/week and spend two nights/week in classic tae kwon do as instructor and student. While there are no cardio benefits in yoga, the anaerobic benefits and strengthening as well as balance and flexibility are certainly there.

#54 kfinks, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010
  15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure of your point CTB.
    But I think you have made mine.

My objection is the label ''yoga" and since there are these alternatives i.e. "Pilates" then why not choose the alternatives?

Also one could do the exercises and not associate with the label.

As 1 Corinthians 8 states an idol is nothing but for the sake of other brethren who might be offended IMO we should refrain at least from the incriminating label especially by those who have a leadership position in the church.

HankD

16. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Re-read what I said. I said Ann was probably correct in her claim that yoga doesn't burn a lot of calories. I never said "the direct physical benefit of yoga is extremely small ". I think, and this is especially true as you age, that stretching and improving balance can be very beneficial for some people, and at the same time get the added benefit of burning a few calories.

17. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I found these that explains some of the physical benefits.

Yoga benefits: Flexibility
    When some people think of yoga, they imagine having to stretch like a gymnast. That makes them worry that they're too old, unfit, or "tight" to do yoga. The truth is you're never too old to improve flexibility.

The series of yoga poses called asanas work by safely stretching your muscles. This releases the lactic acid that builds up with muscle use and causes stiffness, tension, pain, and fatigue. In addition, yoga increases the range of motion in joints. It may also increase lubrication in the joints. The outcome is a sense of ease and fluidity throughout your body.

Yoga stretches not only your muscles but all of the soft tissues of your body. That includes ligaments, tendons, and the fascia sheath that surrounds your muscles. And no matter your level of yoga, you most likely will see benefits in a very short period of time. In one study, participants had up to 35% improvement in flexibility after only eight weeks of yoga. The greatest gains were in shoulder and trunk flexibility.

Yoga benefits: Strength
    Some styles of yoga, such as ashtanga and power yoga, are more vigorous than others. Practicing one of these styles will help you improve muscle tone.

But even less vigorous styles of yoga, such as Iyengar yoga, which focuses on less movement and more precise alignment in poses, can provide strength and endurance benefits.

Many of the poses, such as Downward Dog, Upward Dog, and Plank pose, build upper-body strength. This becomes crucial as people age. The standing poses, especially if you hold them for several long breaths, build strength in your hamstrings, quadriceps, and abdominal muscles. Poses that strengthen the lower back include Upward Dog and Chair pose. When practiced correctly, nearly all poses build core strength in the deep abdominal muscles.

Yoga benefits: Posture
    With increased flexibility and strength comes better posture. Most standing and sitting poses develop core strength. That's because you're counting on your deep abdominals to support and maintain each pose. With a stronger core, you're more likely to sit and stand "tall." Another benefit of yoga is the increased body awareness. This heightened awareness tells you more quickly when you're slouching or slumping so you can adjust your posture.

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the senior center I attend when I am home in the States, some people take both classes as well as Tai Chi. I know several seniors who take all three classes and are busy exercising in one way or another most of the day every day. Tough old birds and birdies.

Palates is more strenuous than Yogi. Some elderly folk can't do the more strenuous exercises.

There are also classes of exercises while sitting in a chair. Those classes are for the folk who have real mobility problems.

Most folk in these classes are interested in staying toned up and mobile as long as possible.

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's next out of SBTS, an expose of the dangers of the Special Olympics? (They're rooted in GREEK PAGANISM!)

20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Big thumbs up. There comes a point where much connotation is lost and the activity has a more utilitarian, practical use.

It's good for the body and is more than burning calories, though I'm not sure if Ann's numbers are correct. There are many types of yoga, anyway.