1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Mohler: I'll Be Nominating Ronnie Floyd for SBC Presidency

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ronnie has always wanted to be SBC President.

Last time he was in the running, he was excoriated because of the minuscule amount of the church's budget that went to the Cooperative Program. He also received quite a bit of criticism over the fire truck baptistery in the "children's church" that had lights and sirens that went off when a child was baptized. Many suggested that the gimmick made professions of faith may be more about getting to do the fire truck activity than actually turning to Christ in faith and discipleship.

I've known Ronnie and Jeana since 1984. He is a persuasive man (has a degree in Psychology) and knows how to influence people. He's not a strong theologian, but he's a man of action. Bigger, better, more influence is his mantra.

The SBC needs to decide what kind of person they want to lead. May I suggest to my SBC friends that mega-church pastors are not necessarily the best pastors, leaders or Christians? There are thousands of pastors who struggle in the fields of the Lord, every day, living on meager pay without nationwide reputation or esteem, but they are well-known in the heavenly places. I have met a number of SBC pastors here who obviously love their people and are faithful to Christ. I would gladly vote for one of them before many of the mega-church "big names."

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was miniscule percentage wise that is for sure. But the over all actual dollar amount was far more than a great many churches. Just putting it in proper perspective and context.

Having said that I will not be voting for him. After the way he treated and spoke about people who were not supporting the GCR I would not vote for him for dog catcher.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, the good ole boy network strikes again. Does anyone take the SBC leadership seriously anymore?

We're a SBC church and give to CP because we agree with the larger points of their theology and because we believe CP is the most genius way to do missions and train pastors. Of course, we're also part of another couple of networks which is fine by us.

I remember when Ronnie ran a couple of years ago, I think he lost to Frank Page in a crowded field and his CP giving was the major issue for those discrediting him. Interesting that this is the 4th paragraph in the BPNews.net (propaganda) article:

(emphasis mine)

Hahaha, like we can't remember what the issues used to be. Anyways, I don't go to the annual convention because its all a beauty pageant anyways.

I hope he enjoys the time as convention president. He's wanted it for about 15 years now and has lobbied hard over the last couple of years.

But, back to my first question, does anyone take this position seriously anymore? Its just a charity position handed around to the guys with the biggest churches.

Edited to add: I can't find the actual budget number for the church, which isn't a surprise or discounting issue, but from the previous campaign I believe it was said his church gave 2.2% to CP. Now, this size church probably has a budget of $20 million plus given their campuses and membership. So we see that, even if we adjust down to $15 million to be charitable, the church is giving 4.6% to CP. Just saying.

#4 preachinjesus, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you think it is a charity position then you do not know how the convention works. Of course liberals do have a hard time regaining their influence.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bump in CP giving was achieved by shutting down his 'Ronnie Floyd Winners!' television show several years ago.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, but my objections to Ronnie Floyd go back even further than that.

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Frankly I never heard of him but that is not unusual. I will make these comments:

1. I have grave reservations about taking young children into the Church and have expressed that view on a number of occasions.

2. The idea of using a gimmick to influence children to make a profession of faith is sickening. It is God who saves, not some clever gimmick. Some years ago the Church to which I belonged, and I am sure there were others, had some halloween charade picturing children in hell to trick youngsters.

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that's fair. They gave a fixed amount which was a VERY small part of their annual budget. Of course their annual budget exceeded a great many churches more than 100-fold.

Ronnie has a habit of painting things in black and white. Many of his building programs over the years go by names such as "The Master's Plan." If you have concerns over the building program, you are portrayed as going against "The Master."

I'm not trying to bash the man. I think he has a good heart and is doing what he thinks he should be doing to serve God. But he is so pragmatic that he tends to embrace what appears to work, operating like a CEO managing a brand instead of leading as a pastor, engaging the hearts, minds and will of his congregation to serve God. He doesn't seem to have the patience to be anything other than an authoritarian ruler.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not care about black and white. What he and a few others did was question the commitment, to the great Commission, of those who were and or are against the GRC. They went on a demonization campaign. I have always appreciated the ministry of Johnny Hunt but at the convention when someone proposed that the GCR get put on hold because of all the controversy and division that arose from it his response was "What controversy, I am not aware of any."

There was an out right campaign of demonization and dishonesty over the GCR. I would also say that it should have been taken by a ballet vote. The claim that is was overwhelmingly voted for is questionable at best. I was there and the vote was far too close to be able to know any other way than a ballet vote.

11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn't involved in that mess so I have no personal knowledge on the matter, but your report is completely credible to me, knowing both Ronnie and the way the politics work in the SBC. I haven't been to an SBC convention since 1997 and I've gradually lost touch with some of the major movements.

One of the many things I find frustrating about the SBC is that it is a good ole boy network as far as the leadership is concerned. Many years ago, the good ole boy network was defined by marginalizing potential leaders who were considered to be more "extreme" (code for more fundamental-conservative pastors), and in recent years since the purge of the old network, the new good ole boys are the mega-church pastors.

People like you who serve in obscurity (from human terms - God knows exactly who you are) don't have a shot at using your God-given skills in leadership in the SBC unless you figure out how to make a name for yourself through a controversy, relentless self-promotion, and/or somehow build or become pastor of a mega-church. And its much easier to build a mega-church than a healthy and effective church.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you have to have PHD in front of your name.

Regardless of all that it is still the best way to do missions.

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or a D.Min or honorary doctorate.

FYI, Ronnie has a D.Min. Nothing wrong with a D.Min., but I've read his dissertation (actually a project) that he submitted for his D.Min. at Southwestern Seminary. It was a series of motivational sermons on giving presented to the First Baptist Church of Palacios, Texas over the course of a few months and the measurement of the effect of the sermons on the giving of the congregation.

This is a theological distillation of his sermon series:

- God loves all people
    - We give out of obedience and devotion to Christ
    - It is easier for God to love His obedient children
    - God will prosper you if you are obedient

As you can imagine, the third point can be a real impetus for giving.

If anyone wants to verify this, a copy of his project is available at Roberts Library at Southwestern Seminary in Fort Worth.

I agree.

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

My pastor would qualify and would make an outstanding SBC president. Why? Because he doesn't want the job!
    I think most pastors "worth their salt" would rather be in the pulpit or on the mission field than sitting in an office two-three days a month in Nashville, plus having to continue running their church, as has Dr. Fred Luter over the last 20 months.

15. OldRegular

That last point sounds a lot like the Joel Osteen, Ken and Gloria Copeland crowd.

16. OldRegular

Isn't that the way things are almost universally!

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

These guys are ELECTED. 8,000-12,000 SBC people show up from around the country and vote. It is not like this is not a democratic process. If a guy is going to lead and represent the convention it needs to be someone whose ministry is something to aspire to.

Sure heaven sees the heart. But we can't see that. We see the souls saved, lives changed. As long as we keep democratically electing people who are CLEARLY leading churches that are vociferously making disciples, great!

18. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last three conventions have averaged 5,900, so not quite the 8-10,000. Even if 10,000, it wouldn't change the fact that getting elected is not JUST a purely democratic process. It is who you know, more importantly, who the messengers know or at least are "told to know" through big named endorsements and nominations.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you get this info from?

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

There were far more than 5,900 in attendance in New Orleans. I was there.