1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Money

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Money. We hate it, we need it, we covet it. It divides people into classes of rich and poor. We are blessed with it and cursed without it. We say it is the root of all evil, but we can't get by without it. Why would God create such a thing?

love,

Sopranette

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did God create money, or did we?

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Money in and of itself is neither evil nor good. The good or the evil comes from what we do with it. We must never let money rule our life.

Rules of handling money:

1-Tithe

2-Save and invest at least the second 10%, more if possible. This is not just for yourself, but also so you can
    help others that God brings into your life with needs.

3-Live beneath your means

4-Never go into dept for anything that depreciates in value

4. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I don't know. I assume God created everything, or gave us the idea. At least, I think so, since He mentions it several times, in positive and negative ways.

love,

Sopranette

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That logic leads places you don't want to go. He mentions sin, but did God create sin?

6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I can't help but be curious, all the time. So why is it a dangerous path to go down?

love,

Sopranette

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same logic can be used to say that God created murder, rape, and child molestation.

That's why I reject it.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Difference is, sin is never mentioned positively in the Bible.

Money can do great things for God, as long as it is recognized that it is He who gives, blesses, and takes away. When money itself becomes the object of desire, we're in trouble.

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not saying it is. I'm simply saying that money was a development, if anything more of a result of God's general providence than any creative act.

Adam and Eve did not use money.

10. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not so, I think.
    Money is part of human developmental history. The same as trade, economics, politics, church buildings, office buildings, bridges, tools, the wheel, and so on.

Murder, rape, child molestation, embezzlement, thievery, adultery, cussing, God rejection, cults, idol-worship, fornication, lying, and all such like is part of human nature. They stem from the fallen condition of unregenerate man, and manifest themselves even among those who name the Name of God.

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with your post.

I was responding to the comment
    I don't believe that God created sin or gave us the idea.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

agreed...wait.

Um, they paid a pretty high price for their first outfits...right? :D

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

WE say money is the root of all evil.

GOD says the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.

Big difference..........

14. North Carolina Tentmaker

That's right Sue, it is the love of money, not the money itself.

Here is my dilemma, I know that I am supposed to put my mind on spiritual things and not be so obsessed with carnal things. But if God would take care of these carnal things then I could keep my mind on spiritual things. Do you see what I am saying? If God would bless me more financially then I could dedicate myself more to work that is eternal.

15. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I agree, Tentmaker. Sometimes it seems like spiritually is a luxury only the rich can afford to think about. Someone said that you can't feed communism to a full stomache.

love,

Sopranette

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

First, Sopranette-------------the Bible does not say that money is the root of all evil

rather

it says that the LOVE of money is the root of all evil-----if money was the root of all evil----don't you reckon Jesus would have said so---but rather when the Scribes and Pharasees tried to trap Him on paying tribute to Ceasar-----He handled money with no problem!!!!!

The US Government has our money system in such shambles------the US Government can tear up a steel anvil with a rubber mallet!!!!!!

But its not just the US Government----its world wide

A big question is-------what sort of money system will there be in Heaven---reckon there will be one???

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

If by 'carnal' you are talking about food, rent, etc....God does take care of them if we depend on Him.

The problem arises when we think our 'wants' are actually 'needs'.

I have found, in my Christian walk, that the more I give God (or his children in need), the more He provides for me.

I'm not talking about 'giving to get'. I'm talking about 'casting our bread upon the water'.

"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. ".
    Mat 6:21

You cannot outgive God....

18. North Carolina Tentmaker

That sounds great Sue, but the truth I have seen and lived is not always that rosy. I have heard just what you said preached all my life, and time after time I see in practice that it does not always come to pass.

If by needs we mean our eternal life then yes God does provide. But if you are talking about food and rent, no, many times He does not. Time after time after time I have seen good Christian families with hardworking people loose their homes, have their cars repossessed, have their electricity and phones cut off, become dependent upon others to feed and clothe their children, and in extreme cases even loose custody of their children to foster care. And that is just here in the United States. Do you think starvation worldwide does not happen to Christians?

I have found that in my Christian walk, even when I give my best to God and follow His commands there have been times when He did not provide for my needs. To follow Him and be able to minister to and care for His sheep I have had to learn what it is like to poor and hungry, to be unemployed and on government assistance. I am not complaining mind you. I have not always been like that and I am not now, but there were seasons I had to go through to become what God wanted me to be. Those times did teach me to trust in God and they did help me see what my real needs are verses my wants and food, rent, and even life on this earth are not really needs in the eternal scope.

But that was not the point of my earlier post. What I was talking about was the effort and time that we have to put into meeting those needs. With my own bivocational ministry I have often daydreamed about how wonderful it would be to be a full time minister, to be able to pray and study during the day and devote myself to eternal things, to be able to sit in a study and prepare a message at my leisure instead of trying to cram some study time in while I wait in the car during the kids basketball practice. I would love to not have to work 50-60 hours a week at a secular job and then try to cram ministry in around family time and sleep. And I believe I would be a better minister if I could. But I also know that is not what God has called me to do. I know I am in the center of his will and following His spirit so I am content where I am, even if I do daydream from time to time.

19. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

In many cultures people work daily for the needs of that day. If the rent is due tomorrow, they will work just enough today and(or) tomorrow to pay it. They need to feed the family today so they will work for enough change to buy just what they need for that day. They don´t think about what they may need tomorrow and they don´t work any more then the time needed to buy what they need.

When I first experienced this I saw it as laziness. I was looking at it from an "American" point of view. Then I saw how easy going and laid back some other cultures were. How much time can be spent with the family? How much happiness can be had with little or next to nothing in their homes? I imagine there are fewer heart attacks and high blood pressure in those societies.

I have also often wondered how many two incomes families really need two incomes. After all, what more do we REALLY need then a roof over our head, a bed, food and clothes on our back. What have we sacrificed as a society by not having one parent home with the kids. Maybe we in the US need to take a lesson from the rest of the world. Are we really better off then those in third world countries?

20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very insightful post. When I took a graduate course over Colonial North America, I read about the agricultural methods of the Native Americans in what is today Virginia. Their methods didn't produce an enormous surplus to sell, but they had the time to enjoy their lives and to engage in social activities.

I wish we had that kind of lifestyle now. There is no need for us to work ourselves to a frazzle, but the pervasive materialism of Western society has created a monster we cannot slay.