1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Monopoly game

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Aug 5, 2011.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

The "Monopoly" game is supposed to be based on the principles of capitalism. If so, then why does every player get a $200 welfare payment for passing "go?" I have an Idea but would like to hear yours.

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

To keep the game going as long as possible.

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

No one in the monopoly game has a job, save for after they become wealthy land owners and can build rental homes and hotels.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's your Income Tax return.

HankD

5. billwald

billwald New Member

>To keep the game going as long as possible.

I agree!

>No one in the monopoly game has a job, save for after they become wealthy land owners and can build rental homes and hotels.

Isn't that a picture of the new USA? Isn't that the tax structure you all love because you all intend for you or your kids to become wealthy? After all, you tell me that half the US population are welfare bums and don't pay txes.

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

But, in your (excited) scheme for America, who earns the money to purchase the land?

Monopoly is but a game of give and take (mostly take). Life, on the other hand, has real consequences for those who chose to become wards of the state, such as "What if the state can no longer afford to support you, and you discover that you are "worthless" regarding life skills and unable to support even your own basic needs?" Such will become the reality for a LOT of Americans (and other people around the world) as we progress further into this failed exercise of "Voting oneself a chicken in every pot."

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not welfare. It's interest and dividends on investments. :laugh:

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The $200 is not welfare - Your job is to sucessfuly go around the board - (you could land in jail) so when you pass "Go" you have sucessfuly completed a weeks worth of work - and now you recieve your wages (w/o medical benifts, vacation, ect)

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Monopoly Needs a Reality Check and Up Date

Everyone is entitled to that basic welfare check. They are also given a certain amount of money to begin life, or should I say, the game with.

Without this entitlement, or welfare check, there could be no game.

BTW, Monopoly is just too boring, and lacks the excitement of a video football game, or really working for a living.

Monopoly needs a reality update. They need to add things like state sponsored medical care, illegal immigrants, corrupt politicians, government bailouts, federal grants, environmental applications, local building permits and building inspections, terrorism, and I'm sure the list could go on.

Monopoly in its present form is no longer realistic, nor is it current with a cyber enhanced world. :smilewinkgrin:

Pastor Paul :type:

10. targus

targus New Member

Better question:

If our economy is based on the priciples of captialism why have we gone broke giving money to people that haven't earned it?

I'm including in that statement all of the toxic mortgages that the Democrats forced the banks to give to people who never had a prayer of ever repaying...

You remember, the mortgages that inflated the bubble that finally burst and got us where we are today - including the current ridiculous choice for President that made the situation worse with his "stimulus package" and Obamacare.

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

THAT'S where you're wrong!!!!!!!!!!

When I played with my sister---she was always the Banker!!!!:laugh::laugh:

I havn't played in years but I can still remeber her when I would throw the dice---she'd already have counted the dice and then in her mind had moved me to the next spot

"YOU OWE ME, SUCKER!!!!!! I NEED THE MONEY NOW!!!!"

She had a background in IRS employment, no doubt!!!

12. billwald

billwald New Member

>If our economy is based on the priciples of captialism why have we gone broke giving money to people that haven't earned it?

We haven't. We have gone broke invading counties that are no threat to us.

>I'm including in that statement all of the toxic mortgages that the Democrats forced the banks to give to people who never had a prayer of ever repaying...

Banks were not forced to give bad loans. It was banker greed that caused them to ignore the rules. And human greed for people to ask for loans they could not afford.

13. billwald

billwald New Member

> Life, on the other hand, has real consequences for those who chose to become wards of the state, such as "What if the state can no longer afford to support you, and you discover that you are "worthless" regarding life skills and unable to support even your own basic needs?"

Very few people choose to be wards of the state. It is very difficult to retrain after doing the same job for 40 years.

Are there "real" Christians who are wards of the state? I expect so. Stuff happens that is beyond one's control. Like God giving the unexpected answer to prayer.

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

The majority of our discretionary spending since Lyndon Johnson has been in the area of entitlements, not military. There has been zero return (save for a whole bunch of Democrat voters) in exchange for the several trillion dollars that have been pumped into the poor, homeless, downtrodden, artsy-fartsy, and drug crowds. Meanwhile, middle America has worked their tails off to support all that nonsense, but every year more of middle America slides into the poor category -- not for lack of effort or for poor management skills, but because that is the way the system operates. The more poor the government supports the more voters vote for liberals, and though liberals may not hold all the most powerful offices in our land in any given election cycle, they DO hold above 80% of all government jobs, and job security is, for them, job one.

15. billwald

billwald New Member

People who receive entitlements such as SS don't spend them in the retail market?