1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Moody members

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by woodsman69, Mar 27, 2013.

1. woodsman69

woodsman69 New Member

I Pastor several folks who are moody, one service they are happy and the next they act like I and others have the plague. They make committments and then when they break them they act like who am I to inquire about why they didn't perform the task they volunteered for. All of the 4 members in question are men ranging in age from 32-65 years old. My most faithful and dependable members are womem, what is going on with the men in church today?

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without women the church would have died centuries ago. It is a testimony to their faith and faithfulness.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Welcome to reality brother. Suck it up and drive on!!

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take 'em fishin', get a stack of pressure treated lumber and build something, invite them over for an oil change party, go change an apron chain on a manure spreader, rent a backhoe and dig a hole for no apparent reason - just do some guy thing together. Get away from the immediate physical location of the church and be five guys for a while. Could be a whole bunch of things going on. They might think you are the southbound end of a northbound mule. It is always possible that you are. :tongue3: You may have followed a pastor that they were close to. There is always the possibility that these four in particular are just idiots. Happens in the best of families.

I mentioned the manure spreader because I had a feller who wouldn't come to church in spite of three generations of his family that rarely missed. George was of the opinion that preachers were a handful of pompous know-it-all's that worked 1 hour a week bragging on how holy they were while the congregation was on the express train to perdition. His wife happened to mention on the phone that George had to go to town to get parts for his spreader that was broken in the field with a nice fresh load of purely organic cow exhaust. And it was February.

You can get pretty close to a guy when your laying in the snow with a wrench in your hand under 150 bushel of steaming poo in 10 degree weather. George gave his heart to the Lord that day AND he got his spreader fixed. That was 15 years ago. He still has the spreader but it is relegated to being a fence fixing wagon. George shares his testimony with groups of veterans telling them about Jesus and what He had done in George's life.

If the moody boys stay moody you could always encourage them to become Presbyterians.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a couple thoughts (man that hurt! :)

If you have worked a regular job you may know - things happen that change a persons mood. Had a friend that took a church right out of college - pastored for number of years - noticed the changing moods of the people - left the church - took a secular job - told me he thought every pastor to be ought to be required to work a 40 hour job for six months to a year to understand people.

It may well relate to their lack of growth spiritually as well. If they react poorly I'm guessing this might be part of it.

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

If you have members of The Moody Church in your congregation, you should send them back to chicago!

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

That is more than just moody....