1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More Chinese Bibles?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jul 13, 2006.

?
  1. Any new Bible translations in Chinese are great!

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. The Chinese need no new translations.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Any new Chinese Bible must be from the TR\Byz\Maj.

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  4. Any new Chinese Bible must be from a modern Greek text.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. I don't care.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was my OP again.

Now, where did I say in the OP that "new bibles...shd address the reader response of the larger audience"? I don't believe it and I didn't say it.

2. Forever settled in heaven

u seem to have some knowledge of text crit. why not go ask Farstad, Hodges, or Robinson? :smilewinkgrin:

they seem to think otherwise, or why wld they have "reinvented the wheel." sure, nobody's not denying similarity there--in fact, isn't the figure something like 98% in terms of textual agreement among the MSS? n some of these similarities (but not all) make the TR more similar to the Majority than others. hence Metzger's broad statement that u cited.

but it's another thing to equate TR with MT. or (unless u have a v good reason) ignore the clear statements concerning the Number of Gk MSS actually underlying the TR.

no, u wldn't use the term reader response, wldja? but yeah, good idea for u to go reread ur OP to see if u get the same idea ... of reaching a larger audience, etc. there's no need to be contentious :wavey:

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alas, Farstad is in Heaven. I'd love to talk to Hodges or Robinson--sit at their feet, as it were and learn lots.:thumbs:

If you will take the time to go back and look, you will see that I placed the work of Hodges and Robinson above the TR. And of course I didn't only cite Metzger, but also Bruce, Greenlee and the others--top scholars all. I have a few more books in my library on the subject, but hey, your link was just so handy that I decided not to bother with them! Thanks!

Yep, the idea of a larger audience is in there, but just not the way you mean it. :smilewinkgrin: Here is what happens with us IFB types. There are many IFB printing ministries nowadays that print Bibles for ministries around the world in many different languages. There are also ministries that financially support such printings, though the cost is minimal. The Bibles are generally used for evangelism, so the main target audience is different from the typical new Bible translation in the States.

I hope to bring out a Japanese Gospel of John later this year. Two church ministries in the States already want to print it, I have another ministry raising funds, and there will be many missionaries and pastors over here who will get out 1000's to lost Japanese people. (It is very difficult to get permission to do this from Japanese Bible publishers--thus the impetus for doing a new NT translation.)

I think it would be truly wonderful if the same thing is done in China with a new translation! The target would be those 100's of millions of lost Chinese. So what is the "niche" in China I was talking about? Those fundamentalists who prefer the TR. What would they do with a new translation? Get it out to many 1000's of lost Chinese. Now what could possibly be wrong with that? :thumbs:

Hmm. Not contending in an Internet debate--now there's a thought! (Joke alert, joke alert.) Seriously, I really wasn't being contentious--just debating. Please don't take offense where none is meant. Would it help if I put a smiley on every statement? (Joke alert, joke alert.):tongue3:

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A suggestion

I choose
    only because
    wasn't a choice.

5. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!
    And why don't you do that pirated copy stunt while you';re at it? :)I heard the same story from Bro Tom Gaudet (do you know him?), And about someone distributing free software with a pop up window that contains the whole NT in chinese and they sidtributed it at some trade fair or something, hence making possibly thousands of little print shops across China.

There are lots of CHinese ALL THE WORLD OVER who need a good TR translation!!! Singapore included!

btw, is the Khoo you mentioned a Singaporean?

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point well taken, Squire. Next time! And thanks for your vote.:thumbs:

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sounds like the same story I heard! :thumbs: Brother Tom may have been the missionary I heard it from. It was on a furlough a little over ten years ago, so my memory is hazy.

I'm hoping to make my translation free to all--on CD's, the Internet, and of course book form--any way I can get it out. It's a long term project, though, since I can only spend one day a week on it.
    Dr. Khoo teaches at the Far Eastern Bible College, which is a Bible Presbyterian school in Singapore. The Bible Presbyterians are a strong Fundamentalist group led by Dr. Carl McIntyre for many years. He was a friend of my grandfather.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I voted the same with Squire's disclaimer

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got it, and thanks for the vote, brother. Praying for you!:praying:

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At this point in my unscientific poll, it is five votes for any new Chinese Bible being good, and five votes for any new Chinese Bible must (or should) be from the TR.

Looks to me like there is some good support for a "niche" Chinese Bible for us mostly IFB (I assume) types to use to get the Gosple out! :thumbs:

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My preference

I worded my preferred response because the best at times can be the enemy of good enough. In this case, the goal is a decent translation acceptable to modern readers of Chinese. And yes I worded that last sentece with care because of Chinese' multiplicity of spoken (mutually unintelligable dialects). The goal is not to put another gold star the TR chart.

12. Forever settled in heaven

i'd second that!
    :thumbsup:

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I'll third it, Squire and FSIH. Thanks to both of you for your contributions to this thread. :thumbsup:

14. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would second this statement. Just the other week we were doing 1 John 5 out of the he he ben and we were saddened by the rendering which splits verse 6 into two and omits verse 7. This is an attack on the doctrine of the Holy Trinity.
    We benefit from being able to read both the KJV as well as the Chinese bible so we can spot the differences. We wished that pure chinese speakers had a proper bible to use. Why should it be only "niche" groups?

15. Forever settled in heaven

cld there be another explanation other than "an attack on the doctrine"?

e.g. how can we approach the KJB's omission of Jesus' mediatorship, messiahship, n Lordship in Jude 25?

shd it be called an "attack" as well? :smilewinkgrin:

J of J, perhaps this is further evidence for u of the desire for a "KJB/TR" CUV to replace the current one.

#35 Forever settled in heaven, Jul 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2006
  16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah. Su Wei did not say that the UV should be taken off the market, just that there should be another choice.:type:

17. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suwei shall say (very tentatively) that...

in a remote village, someone had been selling the villagers rusty swords and the don't work as well as they ought to. These folks had never seen a good sword before so they use rusty swords and perhaps just live with the certain consequences of weilding rusty swords but they have no knowledge that a good two edged sword can yield much greater power. (sooooo sorry for the clumsy analogy:eek: ).

Should someone bring in good swords to the village? Yes!
    However, if and when someone does, i think it would be the decision of the villagers to keep or throw away their rusty swords.

Can?

18. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FSIH, could you kindly illuminate me on this one? I can't find the info that illudes to the point you are making.

19. Forever settled in heaven

no worries ...

what wld u say abt a Bible version that omits the words in bold?

if that version were a Modern Version, what wld u surmise? or what wld David Cloud say abt such a version?

btw, i prefer to think of God's Word as a Trusty Sword, not a rusty one! :)

20. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    oh... i see... I don't read greek. What does it say there?
    But i do see that that those words were ADDED in the MVs. Revelations instructs not to add nor take away from His Word.

But anyway, I don't see a point of contradiction in terms of doctrine when the KJV reads:

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
    Jude 1:25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

What a beautiful verse and precious promise that is referring to Jesus Christ our Lord. Is it not the Son, God our Saviour is the one who is presenting us faultless?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.