1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More examples of what is wrong with our country today

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Bobby Hamilton, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/07/us/michigan-lottery-winner/index.html?iref=obnetwork

Really? You just got a check for 500K and you still feel you are entitled to government assistance?

I hope Michigan goes after her for every penny they can. This makes me sick.

Get a job. Don't buy another house when you have one already.

I don't say this often, but deadbeat comes to mind.

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

If she needs money, she can sell one of the houses since she can't live in both. I don't even have one house; I live in a 22-year-old RV. She needs to stop trying to live beyond her means in an effort to keep up with those with more money.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

If she was so broke that she needed public assistance to buy food, where did she get the money to play the lottery?

Her story reminds me of a news report I saw following Katrina. The story was covering the first arrivals of campers and trailers for those who'd lost their homes. Reporter interviewed a young woman (maybe 25-30) who was able to move into one of the very first units set into place.

What did she do? She complained because they STILL hadn't hooked up her phone and air conditioning. She had a clean dry place to lay her head that night, while countless numbers around her were homeless. Yet, instead of being thankful that she'd been blessed, she demanded more and now.

Pardon me for an unChristian comment. If I could have done so, I would have jerked her fat backside out of there in a New York minute. She would have spent that night sleeping on the ground somewhere. Her bed would have been given to someone who would have felt blessed for having a clean pillow.

That news report made a lasting impression on me, that's for sure. Her sense of "entitlement" along with looting stores for televisions (remember, no power) and so much more that truly reflected today's "me" society.

This lottery winner's story fits neatly inside that impression. I'm reasonably sure she was informed about what was expected of her, when she qualified for public assistance. But her greed validated the scriptures -- love of money is the root of evil. While she had a "secure" future with her winnings, she couldn't resist the lure to steal even more.

Can't help but wonder how much longer God will withhold His wrath?

4. ChristianLady1978

ChristianLady1978 New Member

I wonder about both of those question, Oldtimer. If I was that broke and someone gave me a dollar or two I certainly wouldn't blow it on a lottery ticket.