1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More pitty for a gourd

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by LeBuick, Jun 18, 2006.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I would like to see us explore the depth of versus. Not argue about them but allow the living aspect of the word to help us discover more views of a passage. If you all think this is a good idea, please bring your versus to the board. I will start;

Jonah 4:10,11

Then said the LORD, Thou hast had pity on the gourd, for the which thou hast not laboured, neither madest it grow; which came up in a night, and perished in a night: And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

I see here Jonah judged and didn't appreciate or value the souls of his fellow man enough to find them worthy of his witness. He considered Neniveh so much a lost cause that he booked passage on a ship bound for Tarshish.

Now the 4th chapter makes me wonder what kind of message did the preacher preach that he leaves the city and set's up camp waiting to see it's destruction? 4:1 says it displeased Jonah to preach in this city.

Here, GOD builds him protection from the elements then has a worm destroy that protection. This allowed us to see Jonah's compassion was more for a gourd than it was for his fellowman.

How many times do we stop short of the bar's thinking there is no hope for those in a bar? How many times do we walk past the begger thinking there is no hope for the beggar? How many people in our own churches have we past judgment on thinking there is no hope for that person.

Has GOD built us protection in the form of houses, money and jobs that he will soon take away? Thoughts?

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Out of obediance (it was not the message I prepared to preach) I preached this verse today. We had a glory filled service that I'm sure was received well in Heaven and made the devil mad out of his mind.

Before getting up, the LORD showed me one verse that tied the entire message together. Jonah 2:9 ends with "...Salvation is of the Lord".

The short version; Not only man but this entire world is the handy work or our GOD. He made the earth, me made the trees, he make the ants but his most cherished creation was man. Man is the only creature that he made of his own image and GOD gave to his prize being domonion over the rest of his creation.

GOD cares for all of his hands creations to include the sinful habbitation of Nineveh (insert your town) just as much or more than Jonah cared for the gord he created or your very own offspring.

To this day I viewed where it says that GOD repented to mean that GOD changed his mind. Today I understand GOD knew man would repent if he could just get his spokesman to bring them his WORD. This is where we fall short believing the ability of GOD whenever we conclude anyone is too bad to be changed good.

I hope you don't mind but I used John of Japan and his pocket full of tracts as an example of true heavenly witness. Not one trying to change the world, one just trying to introduce the world to a GOD who is able to sufficiently be all you need. If I'm right John, you don't care about the soil or the weather in that area. You have never said this ground is far to rocky for a seed to grow or even the forecast from famers almanac. You just sow seed anyhow. GOD bless you man. I pray I become an Apostle like you! :thumbs:

I was cautioned by the LORD to be careful of any pre-judgment I may have toward my fellow man, particularly, regarding how another should live, worship, look, or any trampled standard even if it's in the printed WORD. None of this matters, as Jonah learned I too was shown today, SALVATION IS OF GOD.

I want to thank this board and especially the unfortunate story shared by reformedbeliever which kept me praying all night that I might know what to do if this situation ever entered my life or GOD's Church. My heart pours out to you and I encourage you to keep faith in a GOD that knows how to heal the victim as well as he knows how to fix the heart of the accused.

Stay faithful all and be blessed...