1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More powerful than a double-edge sword

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Brother Adam, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I went looking threw the first Bible that I read cover-to-cover when I was in my teens. Going over the passages I had highlighted, I remember how God moved my spirit to draw closer to Him.

I recall now how my decision to leave the Lutheran faith and become a Baptist happened in a flurry of pressure and emotion. Looking back though, I don't regret it.

I constantly recall Baptists in the church that I was regularly visiting asking "Have you prayed to accept Christ?" And the answer always came back "I have always accepted Christ".

Growing up first Catholic, then Lutheran when my mother married and we went to my stepfathers church, I had always had a strong faith and love of my Savior. There was never a time when I didn't accept Him that I could remember. Faith was always a deep part of my church life.

For many Catholics, Lutherans, and several other denominations faith in Christ is a family affair, a covenant relationship moreso than is seen in less liturgical churches. The service is focused more on an ever growing relationship with Christ than to have alter calls each Sunday.

This will often leave members of these churches tripped up when a Baptist or Reformed Christian asks them "When did you accept Christ as your Savior"? They aren't used to the alter call type questions Baptists ask, so they might say "well, never", but indeed may have a very strong faith in Christ.

Here is one passage that I highlighted:

"But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than any human authority. The God of our ancestors raised up Jesus, whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree" Acts 5:29

2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

bumping.

Please keep all this in mind as you go out to save the Catholics from their faith. [​IMG]

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I attended an Episcopalian Church growing up and to be honest with you, I dont remember a thing about it except that I was bored to tears.
    I was strung out on drugs and alcohol, going through a divorce and trying to raise four little kids on my own (with my mother's help,God bless her) because my ex-wife left me and my children for another man.
    It just so happens that a man came to my door one night and asked me "the question".
    No, it wasnt a Catholic man, no it wasnt a Luthern man, no he wasnt Methodist, or presbyterian, Christian scientist, etc. You see, as I found out later these churches dont seem to have much of a burden for the lost.

HE WAS AN INDEPENDANT FUNDAMENTAL BAPTIST, PRAISE GOD AND I AINT EVER BEEN THE SAME SINCE!

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The focus on a walk with Christ that is ever growing in truth and faith and sanctification is great - but if it is done to the exclusion of the focus on the need to die - the need to be "born again" - the need to surrender all at the very start, the need for instant justification at the moment of the New Birth - at the moment one CHOOSES to accept Christ - then it is all for nothing.

Half of the truth - is not a workable model. You need BOTH the justification component AND the sanctification component of the ONE Gospel given to mankind from Genesis - Revelation.

In Christ,

Bob

5. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Bob- I'm curious have you ever seen the order of the service in a liturgical service?

This is from the Lutheran Church I attended:

Greeting of Peace
    Music
    Prayer/Time for personal confession
    Scripture Reading
    Scripture Reading
    Music
    Gospel Announcement
    Gospel Reading and proclomation
    Gospel Response
    Sermon
    Music
    Nicene Creed
    Prayer
    Offering
    Communion
    Benidiction
    Music

6. firedome

firedome New Member

The focus on a walk with Christ that is ever growing in truth and faith and sanctification is great - but if it is done to the exclusion of the focus on the need to die - the need to be "born again" - the need to surrender all at the very start, the need for instant justification at the moment of the New Birth - at the moment one CHOOSES to accept Christ - then it is all for nothing.

Half of the truth - is not a workable model. You need BOTH the justification component AND the sanctification component of the ONE Gospel given to mankind from Genesis - Revelation.

In Christ,

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE]AMEN and AMEN Brother Bob!
    1Pe 5:8 "Be sober, be watchful: your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour, 9 whom withstand stedfast in your faith, knowing that the same sufferings are accomplished in your brethren who are in the world. 10 And the God of all grace, who called you unto his eternal glory in Christ, after that ye have suffered a little while, shall himself perfect, establish, strengthen you."

Maranatha,
    Rodney

7. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

What is distressing is the people that equate liturgy with satan.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Sounds not too far from a baptist church service. Always the same.
    Song
    Announcements
    Song
    Choir
    Prayer
    Scripture passage
    Prayer
    Service
    Prayer
    Invitation
    Offering
    Prayer

9. firedome

firedome New Member

Brother Adam said: "What is distressing is the people that equate liturgy with satan."

Where has anyone equated liturgy with satan?

10. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

If you read the posts on this board objectively (without taking sides) you can see the theme come out over and over again. Remember- liturgical services don't end in an altar call.

11. firedome

firedome New Member

Brother Adam,

I have read them objectively and I can see nowhere that anyone has stated that a liturgical service is of satan. I tend not to read between the lines; I tend to read the lines and make my judgments based upon them. If I believe that someone is making a veiled comment I ask them to clarify, just as I have done with you.

Maranatha,
    Rodney

12. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Have you ever witnessed anyone note "They don't focus on accepting Jesus Christ as their Savior, but instead on faith working through love" i.e. they believe in works salvation and don't have faith in Christ and need to be saved from their faith.

I see it very clearly. Maybe its just me.

13. firedome

firedome New Member

Brother Adam,
    Let start out by saying, I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. I'm saying you are stupid or anything like that. What I'm saying is I don't follow. Our dialogue was started by your comment of equating liturgy with satan. If I am not mistaken, liturgy is a form of worship, nothing more.

As for your comment on salvation let echo what The Apostle wrote; Eph 2:8 "for by grace have ye been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, [it is] the gift of God; 9 not of works, that no man should glory. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God afore prepared that we should walk in them."
    This is what I believe.

Maranatha,
    Rodney

14. firedome

firedome New Member

OOPS!

Brother Adam,
    Let start out by saying, I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. I'm NOT saying you are stupid or anything like that. What I'm saying is I don't follow. Our dialogue was started by your comment of equating liturgy with satan. If I am not mistaken, liturgy is a form of worship, nothing more.

As for your comment on salvation let echo what The Apostle wrote; Eph 2:8 "for by grace have ye been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, [it is] the gift of God; 9 not of works, that no man should glory. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God afore prepared that we should walk in them."
    This is what I believe.

Maranatha,
    Rodney

15. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Rodney,

That's cool, we're at two different points in our walk with our Savior Jesus Christ. I'm sorry I wasn't making a whole lot of sense. I agree with you on the verse though! Powerful stuff!

16. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Bro. Adam

I understand what you are saying about liturgical v alter-call service thingys.

My take. I believe one must be born again, as Jesus told Nicodemus. Somefolks, however, seem to believe that this must come as a blinding flash as it happened to Saul on the road to Damascus. I happen to believe that the realization, and the coming of faith maybe a gradual affair. I also believe that salvation is completely of the Lord, and that all the coercion, preaching, ranting, raving, or what ever is a complete waste of time, unless the Lord is in the arrangements. If we are honest, faith is not an intellectual enterprise, and it takes a bit longer for some to understand what God has done for them than others.

17. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

Psalms --

I must agree with you in this. If we REALLY believe that there is a hell for unbelievers and that people are going to go there, we should be constantly inquiring about the state of people's relationship to God.

Now the difference is that some would say that because I am Catholic I don't have a relationship with God and they would see me as in need of being "saved." Well, so be it.

There was a time in your life when you had wandered far from the fold, rejecting your baptismal vows and heeding the call of your flesh to sin. Thanks be to God that there was indeed someone sent to ask you "the question" and to point you to the Savior you both loves you and gives you the power to resist temptation and live for Him.

Cordially in Christ,

Brother Ed