1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More Tax Money

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The politicians have found a new way to spend your hard earned tax money.

Currently schools serve breakfast and luch at a low or no fee to the student. Well, isnt it time to serve them supper also?

Extra, Extra, read all about it in the Washington Post

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with such a program. Many of these children are going to be on public health insurance anyway, so it benefits us to ensure that they have good nutrition.

Additionally, I think it's a great way to ensure that children can get the nutrition that they need to be productive in school. These are kids, not adults. It is not their fault that their parents either cannot or will not provide sufficient nutrition at home.

Also, this avoids the problems of the foodstamp system, which can result in bartering goods for alcohol, cigarettes, or cash. This is directly resulting in kids getting needed nutrition.

I'm not willing to let a child go without food just for the sake of fiscal conservatism. We should cut back in a lot of areas, but feeding children is not one of them.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I'm not either, but I think we are going about it the wrong way. When I was a kid, the stated would step in and take children from their parents if they could not afford to take care of them, or if they were in an abusive home.

Three of my best friends were raised in such a home, they all said it was the best thing that could have happened to them. I have a few other friends who was in such a home for a few years, and they are just as happy with how things turned out for them. I even have a few of my friends who married women who sere in Lester Rolloff"s home.

Would you be for the money being used this way. All of these home were sponsored by different churches in my part of the country. Most of my friends were at an Episcopal home.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in favor of the least intrusive method possible. Feeding kids at school is cheaper and doesn't take them from their families. We don't have the infrastructure to take all of these kids from their parents.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I believe parents are the problem. In the paper I was reading about a few young men under 18 who have fathers 8 children or more with many different girls. Children bringing up children in poverty does not work. I was part of a group that did a study of this problem in Memphis about 30 years ago. What the conclusion was if someone didn't get these young one away from being raised by children we were going to have a larger amount of folks in time who will be rather hard to put in the work force. No education leads to lack of skills. I'm talking about HS education, level one in job market.

We still have homes that could help, I know today it might be a problem with church homes, but down here we have a few private homes, give the kids a chance, get them out of that environment.

#5 Bob Alkire, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, So George Orwell was a few years off.

Goodbye Uncle Sam.

Greetings Big Brother!

HankD